Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scoring 0 in a penalty shoot out

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
I’ve always had a soft spot for Dundee United since I spent the 1979/80 season living and working in Downfield, on the northern outskirts of the town. I was driving yesterday when I heard on Radio 5 Live that their relegation/promotion playoff final against St. Mirren had gone to penalties. Then I got home and found that they’d manged to lose it without netting a single spot kick! Is this the worst ever performance in a penalty shoot-out, or have I missed something?

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Assuming they went first, this level of performance cannot be worsened so they are at least the joint worst ever at penalty shoot-outs.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I’m sure I’ve seen a ‘nil’ before when sides have taken three but can’t remember ever seeing one when they’ve taken four penalties.

What happened to the lad we had at St Mirren? Dreyer I think. I watched the worst game of football I’ve ever seen earlier on in the season which involved St Mirren, hard to think what we thought he’d learn playing up there.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Copa America 2011 Brazil v Paraguay

Brazil went out on penalties 0-2 having missed 4 penalties and failing to score any

The next question must be what is the lowest score in a penalty shoot out from both teams after 5 penalties each, has there ever been a 0-0?

I think that under Poyet Sunderland knocked Manchester Utd out of a cup 2-1 after 10 penalties, so 7 missed/saved anything lower than this?

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
Assuming they went first, this level of performance cannot be worsened so they are at least the joint worst ever at penalty shoot-outs.

Yes, it seems they did go first and missed all four. St Mirren scored their first two and then missed the third. Conceivably, if St Mirren had only managed to net once, Dundee United would have had the chance to fail with their fifth as well - so technically it could’ve been worse!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
and yet they scored a penalty in the first half

tbf the keeper saved the first 2

and the 3rd hit the post

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Aldershot in a play off final v Shrewsbury failed to net in 3 attempts and lost 3 0. In 2 play off Semis we have been 3 1 up with 2 to take and somehow still lost,now that is an epic fail.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I’ve always had a soft spot for Dundee United since I spent the 1979/80 season living and working in Downfield, on the northern outskirts of the town. I was driving yesterday when I heard on Radio 5 Live that their relegation/promotion playoff final against St. Mirren had gone to penalties. Then I got home and found that they’d manged to lose it without netting a single spot kick! Is this the worst ever performance in a penalty shoot-out, or have I missed something?

did you attend the 79-80 League Cup Final Replay played at Dens Park?

Dundee United beat Alex Ferguson's Aberdeen 3-0

the attendance was an incredible 28,933

Willie Pettigrew scored two
there's a blast from the past

Invicta

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Utd are my Scottish team through family. Been to Tannadice many times including seeing them beat Barcelona in 1987. Sad to see they missed out yesterday !

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
Sadly not. Reason being I got the season wrong in my original post - it was 1978/79! I worked at a school who loaned their pitch out for the United team to train on. As a staff member, I had free admission to Tannadice on a match day if accompanied by one or more of the pupils. I would have had to pay to get into Dens Park. Happy days though watching Paul Sturrock, David Narey, Paul Hegarty and the incredible penalty-taking goalie Hamish McAlpine. I did go to Celtic Park for the title-deciding match. It was a long journey home. Only saw the Albion once that season, the promotion party at St. James's Park.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Yes, it seems they did go first and missed all four. St Mirren scored their first two and then missed the third. Conceivably, if St Mirren had only managed to net once, Dundee United would have had the chance to fail with their fifth as well - so technically it could’ve been worse!

There’s a video filmed from the St Mirren end here. It’s hilarious.

Invicta

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Sadly not. Reason being I got the season wrong in my original post - it was 1978/79! I worked at a school who loaned their pitch out for the United team to train on. As a staff member, I had free admission to Tannadice on a match day if accompanied by one or more of the pupils. I would have had to pay to get into Dens Park. Happy days though watching Paul Sturrock, David Narey, Paul Hegarty and the incredible penalty-taking goalie Hamish McAlpine. I did go to Celtic Park for the title-deciding match. It was a long journey home. Only saw the Albion once that season, the promotion party at St. James's Park.

Dundee Utd produced / nurtured some of the best players in Britain in the 70 and 80s, add Marice Malpas, Richard Gough, Duncan Ferguson to the names above. Liverpool's Andy Robertson a more recent name to have progressed there.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I’m sure I’ve seen a ‘nil’ before when sides have taken three but can’t remember ever seeing one when they’ve taken four penalties.

What happened to the lad we had at St Mirren? Dreyer I think. I watched the worst game of football I’ve ever seen earlier on in the season which involved St Mirren, hard to think what we thought he’d learn playing up there.

Last played on April 27 against St Johnstone. The St Mirren website reported on May 2 that he was injured and had returned to Albion, being likely to miss the rest of the season.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Fairly sure I have told this before but I refereed a snooker game which is similarly unbeatable. It finished 28-14 with every ball potted. No fouls, no colours after reds and a decisive black ball. You can't score lower than 42 points in a game potting every ball. Not the first but cannot be beaten so forever a share of an unwanted record.

For the record, it was Eastbourne League Division 6 which goes a long way to explaining it.

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
Dundee Utd produced / nurtured some of the best players in Britain in the 70 and 80s, add Marice Malpas, Richard Gough, Duncan Ferguson to the names above. Liverpool's Andy Robertson a more recent name to have progressed there.

I forgot to mention the full back Ray Stewart, who went on to win the FA Cup with West Ham in 1980 and was himself a renowned penalty taker.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Fairly sure I have told this before but I refereed a snooker game which is similarly unbeatable. It finished 28-14 with every ball potted. No fouls, no colours after reds and a decisive black ball. You can't score lower than 42 points in a game potting every ball. Not the first but cannot be beaten so forever a share of an unwanted record.

:For the record, it was Eastbourne League Division 6 which goes a long way to explaining it.
But if the player who scored 14 points only got 13 points then at the point the blue was potted the score could have been 16:13 meaning that if the player on 16 pots the pink he would have been 9 points ahead on 22 and you can only score once off the black.

So he could have won with a score of 22:13

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here