Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Good Gardens in Sussex for this time of year

WATFORD zero

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 10, 2003
Anyone got recommendations for good gardens in Sussex for this time of year ?

Nymans
Borde Hill

I see Leonardslee is back open - too late for Rhods and Azaleas ? (I have a few lates in my garden at the moment)

[MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] [MENTION=2019]jevs[/MENTION]

Last edited:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Anyone got recommendations for good gardens in Sussex for this time of year ?

Nymans
Borde Hill

I see Leonardslee is back open - too late for Rhods and Azaleas ? (I have a few lates in my garden at the moment)

[MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] [MENTION=2019]jevs[/MENTION]

Yep, Borde Hill, Nymans, Sheffield Park, Leonardslee, Wakehurst place....you might catch the tail end of the Rhodies if you're quick.

Wisley is definately worth the extra few miles as is Kew.

Great Dixter and West Dean are definitely worth a look.

However, nothing compares to the masterpice that is Preston Rock Garden in Brighton :banana::banana::banana:

Wherever you go, get there early this week as it's half term and the weather's looking nice so i'd imagine they will be packed.

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Went to West Dean on Saturday, lovely 2 mile walk over the downs through the rhodies.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Yep, Borde Hill, Nymans, Sheffield Park, Leonardslee, Wakehurst place....you might catch the tail end of the Rhodies if you're quick.

However, nothing compares to the masterpice that is Preston Rock Garden in Brighton :banana::banana::banana:

Wherever you go, get there early this week as it's half term and the weather's looking nice so i'd imagine they will be packed.

If you go as far as Wisley, Claremont Landscape Gardens near Esher is well worth a visit.

Or our allotment is stunning at the moment :D

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
staying local the garden at Preston Manor is quite nice for a 15 minute tour followed by a short hike over to Jev's place .

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
As above. I also like sussex prairies. Not sure about this time of year - but something different from the above

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I found a new job for you :thumbsup:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-48464266

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
staying local the garden at Preston Manor is quite nice for a 15 minute tour followed by a short hike over to Jev's place .

This, the rose garden in Preston Park by the Rotunda cafe is looking and smelling amazing, and the rockery across the road is, as always a fantastic credit to [MENTION=2019]jevs[/MENTION] and his team :bowdown:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
As above. I also like sussex prairies. Not sure about this time of year - but something different from the above

You're right. There will be a little bit of interest now, but it will be at its best end of July to September for flowers, then you've got the golden period of the grasses and dead-heads through autumn and winter. The beauty of "dead" grass and dead heads is grossly overlooked, and the birds love the seeds. When grass flowers get frost on them, and they're back-lit by the sun, they look amazing. I know - we haven't had summer yet!

Attachments

• Grass.JPG
    Grass.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 65

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Check out the National Open Garden Scheme - great gardens across Sussex and raising money for various charities.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here