Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] EU Elections 2019: 37% turnout. Did you vote?

EU Elections. Did you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 62 86.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 13.9%

• Total voters

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
37% turnout in the UK. Nearly two thirds couldn't be arsed, obvs. So did you bother to vote?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
Best way of discerning is the local votes. It's probably reflective of NSC. Although we may be slightly higher due to demography.

I've voted in every eligible election since I was 18.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes I voted, as I have in every election since I was 18 ..... except PCC elections which I don't agree with.

On the way

Oct 9, 2016
North Herts
Like Brighton Lines, I have been voting since I was 18 (35 years) have never fully understood politics, probably about as much as your average joe, but, have always felt that it’s important to have your say. Since the remain/leave vote however (I can’t even bring myself to say the B word anymore) and the fallout from that absolute shambles, I don’t really see the point in voting anymore.
As I’ve already said I don’t know, or pretend to know, the full ins and outs of politics, referrendums etc but I’ve always looked at, and cherry picked, certain promised policies and voted for those that have best suited me, my family and my lifestyle, and that is how I have always believed politics and voting should be, what suits me isn’t necessarily going to suit the next one, live and let live and all that.
Over the last 2/3 years since “that vote” I have seen and heard, from both sides, things from the professionals (laughable) and like me, people who don’t fully know or understand everything that is in front of them, some pretty heavy remarks and disparaging accusations aimed at people who dared to have a difference of opinion to oneself.
I am truely gutted the way the country has become so split and divided over the last 3 years, and the bordering on hatred that is often aimed at that those that had voted differently, wow, just wow, I have never known such angst and animosity come out of a vote.
The whole thing has become so shambolic, embarrassing and at times hate filled that I have now questioned my own right to vote, based on my apparent lack of fully understanding what I’m voting for/on (very patronising, but it has been said) and the potential fallout and accusations if said vote goes the other way.
Politics, politicians (all of them) and democracy have glaringly shown their true colours as of late, my faith and trust in my preferred/chosen view has gone now and not sure that either will come back anytime soon.
I have always remained non vocal with my, somewhat, limited political views because that’s just me and what I have chosen to do so, now though there seems to be wave of such angst towards those of a differing opinion that said views would now seem to be better not expressed in a vote at all. Sad really but that’s what politics appears, to me, to have become now, win at all costs, twist it, turn it, stall it, scratch it, bite it, belittle it, however, whenever just win. This behaviour is nothing new to the politicians of course, but, I’ve never known it to be so prevelent and so vocal in the voter before.
Politics? political views? voting? future elections? I’m going to join the masses who couldn’t be bothered to get off their backsides before and vote, but, then suddenly become very knowledgable and vocal when the penny starts to drop on a democratic vote that may or may not have gone the right or wrong way. Of course my right to comment on an election result and bemoan it goes, well you would think! my views shall remain exactly as they always have done, my views, but then again they clearly mean nothing if you vote for the winning side these days anyway.
Can’t wait to all get back on track and put it all behind us one way or another I really genuinely don’t care anymore unfortunately :shrug: as for my one man stand against voting in future that’s not started well, I voted on this :facepalm: no being the short answer before I went off into one :bla:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Like Brighton Lines, I have been voting since I was 18 (35 years) have never fully understood politics, probably about as much as your average joe, but, have always felt that it’s important to have your say. Since the remain/leave vote however (I can’t even bring myself to say the B word anymore) and the fallout from that absolute shambles, I don’t really see the point in voting anymore.
As I’ve already said I don’t know, or pretend to know, the full ins and outs of politics, referrendums etc but I’ve always looked at, and cherry picked, certain promised policies and voted for those that have best suited me, my family and my lifestyle, and that is how I have always believed politics and voting should be, what suits me isn’t necessarily going to suit the next one, live and let live and all that.
Over the last 2/3 years since “that vote” I have seen and heard, from both sides, things from the professionals (laughable) and like me, people who don’t fully know or understand everything that is in front of them, some pretty heavy remarks and disparaging accusations aimed at people who dared to have a difference of opinion to oneself.
I am truely gutted the way the country has become so split and divided over the last 3 years, and the bordering on hatred that is often aimed at that those that had voted differently, wow, just wow, I have never known such angst and animosity come out of a vote.
The whole thing has become so shambolic, embarrassing and at times hate filled that I have now questioned my own right to vote, based on my apparent lack of fully understanding what I’m voting for/on (very patronising, but it has been said) and the potential fallout and accusations if said vote goes the other way.
Politics, politicians (all of them) and democracy have glaringly shown their true colours as of late, my faith and trust in my preferred/chosen view has gone now and not sure that either will come back anytime soon.
I have always remained non vocal with my, somewhat, limited political views because that’s just me and what I have chosen to do so, now though there seems to be wave of such angst towards those of a differing opinion that said views would now seem to be better not expressed in a vote at all. Sad really but that’s what politics appears, to me, to have become now, win at all costs, twist it, turn it, stall it, scratch it, bite it, belittle it, however, whenever just win. This behaviour is nothing new to the politicians of course, but, I’ve never known it to be so prevelent and so vocal in the voter before.
Politics? political views? voting? future elections? I’m going to join the masses who couldn’t be bothered to get off their backsides before and vote, but, then suddenly become very knowledgable and vocal when the penny starts to drop on a democratic vote that may or may not have gone the right or wrong way. Of course my right to comment on an election result and bemoan it goes, well you would think! my views shall remain exactly as they always have done, my views, but then again they clearly mean nothing if you vote for the winning side these days anyway.
Can’t wait to all get back on track and put it all behind us one way or another I really genuinely don’t care anymore unfortunately :shrug: as for my one man stand against voting in future that’s not started well, I voted on this :facepalm: no being the short answer before I went off into one :bla:

That was a thought-provoking and sobering post [MENTION=34842]On the way[/MENTION]. Well said.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

I think Mark Twain once said, “if voting made any difference they wouldn’t let us do it” and given where we are 3 years after that vote, it’s fair to say he was right.

Never has this realisation of how “they” govern been more stark, and yet it’s like the lessons of the economic crisis in 2008 have still to be learned by large swathes of the electorate.

The young voters are as dumb and naive as they ever are with their freshly painted visions of the future as manufacted by the state’s education system..........for the others though the poison is deep. More voting will not change anything, democracy has run its course.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course I voted. I always have - apart from forgetting an occasional local government election, the only time I have deliberately not voted was in the Scottish independence referendum in the 1970s. As an Englishman living in Scotland I was entitled to vote, but I thought that was the Scots' business, not mine, so I left it to them.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No. I’m away on hols and couldn’t be arsed to register for a postal vote for a meaningless election.

Was it meaningless given Farages call to be involved with the Tories in Brexit negotiations despite having zero MPs but using the Euro Election result to try and get his toxic version of WTO through.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
Yes. My party got 0.2% of the vote in Brighton and Hove.

And come the Revolution Brexiteers and Remainers will be put against the wall. Bang bang bang.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here