Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 2019 Cricket World Cup

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Kane Williamson showed how to do it. NZ lost two wickets in the first over so another wicket would have been disastrous. He and Taylor put their heads down and ground it for a bit, Taylor departed and Williamson ground it out some more, It's not slow by test standards - he had a scoring rate of 80, but it did the job. Only Root can do that for England, if he's out early, the team is struggling

To be fair, last 2 innings only Stokes has been able to do it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I just don't get the approach. There is no plan B. You play a lot of cricket don't you? You go in with your team 4 down and you start to build a partnership, you're not looking to clear the boundary rope over midwicket until the game is starting to be winnable, especially when you should know you're the last partnership capable of getting you to within having a shot at the win. Why repeat the same errors of the previous innings all out for a similar total? Madness. 14 catches over the last 2 innings, only 4 by the keeper or slip. I don't know the exact figure, but must be 7 of them caught on the rope.

Why is Stokes the only one who seems to be able to change his game. He's looked every inch a circumspect considered, strike rate of 70 opening batsmen the way he's approached the last 2 innings. Is he really the only one with the mentality to read what the game requires.

I feel more angry this morning than yesterday. Not only have Sky pretty much turned their coverage into an Australian Day Parade, they've got enough confidence now where the Ashes, even with massive changes to the line ups, is going to be completely in their favour.

And I thought this summer was going to be a respite from the football last season!!!! :rant:

I 100% agree. I played for over 40 years and yes, as soon as wickets start to fall if you are an opener or number 4 which was my preferred position, you dig in. I was never the Boycott mould, but I played ( and so did HK on here) against a guy called Mark Smallwood for ST Peters and he changed his game considering the circumstances. If they needed runs he walked it about, if not he dug in. It just seems there is as you say no plan B and this mentality of bashing your way out of a situation is the game.....maybe Gayle has set the bar for that, but he is a big chap with a railway sleeper for a bat and can do it at will.

Trouble is I am not angry as I should be, just resigned to the fact that in major competitions we have not the mentality to cope with it.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I 100% agree. I played for over 40 years and yes, as soon as wickets start to fall if you are an opener or number 4 which was my preferred position, you dig in. I was never the Boycott mould, but I played ( and so did HK on here) against a guy called Mark Smallwood for ST Peters and he changed his game considering the circumstances. If they needed runs he walked it about, if not he dug in. It just seems there is as you say no plan B and this mentality of bashing your way out of a situation is the game.....maybe Gayle has set the bar for that, but he is a big chap with a railway sleeper for a bat and can do it at will.

Trouble is I am not angry as I should be, just resigned to the fact that in major competitions we have not the mentality to cope with it.

I played for a few years. I was utter crap, but there and again I wasn't playing for England and being paid a fortune.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What's the betting Pakistan put in a top performance here and NZ capitulate putting Pakistan right into the mix...All day long.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Kane Williamson showed how to do it. NZ lost two wickets in the first over so another wicket would have been disastrous. He and Taylor put their heads down and ground it for a bit, Taylor departed and Williamson ground it out some more, It's not slow by test standards - he had a scoring rate of 80, but it did the job. Only Root can do that for England, if he's out early, the team is struggling
New Zealand look like they are going to have to do that again today against the Pakistanis, Gupta gone already. So, England now in our usual sporting position of hoping other results go in our favour!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Watching the NZ v Pakistan game makes me wonder if there is such a thing as a 'tournament' team. If so, they both fit the description - ie coming into tournaments unfancied and finding ways to win. At the other end of the spectrum (England maybe?) we have teams that come in with a possibly over-blown reputation, somewhat hyped up and then finding ways to, er, not win.
Its a terrible generalisation but we certainly seem to sit nearer one end of the spectrum than the other (think football) - and its not a comfortable place to be.* (As previously occupied by South Africa, bottle merchants.:wave:)

*of course this now means we'll go on to win the damn thing

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove

Same here.

I have long thought that the sports-pysch claptrap that has been embraced by the England team is the problem. Sports-pysch is incredibly useful if used right, of course, but England seem to follow the 'back yourself at all times / we play our way no matter what' philosophy even when a better alternative is staring them in the face. It's a fine line between self-belief and delusion. At times I don't think individuals have made decisions in this tournament that are sensible or realistic.

Batting is largely a balance of risk vs. reward. So, on a seaming pitch, with a new ball and two early wickets down, how sensible is it to be trying to hook Mitchell Starc out of the ground?? Not very. But, y'know, "I back myself", so let's try and do it anyway.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Watching the NZ v Pakistan game makes me wonder if there is such a thing as a 'tournament' team. If so, they both fit the description - ie coming into tournaments unfancied and finding ways to win. At the other end of the spectrum (England maybe?) we have teams that come in with a possibly over-blown reputation, somewhat hyped up and then finding ways to, er, not win.
Its a terrible generalisation but we certainly seem to sit nearer one end of the spectrum than the other (think football) - and its not a comfortable place to be.* (As previously occupied by South Africa, bottle merchants.:wave:)

*of course this now means we'll go on to win the damn thing

We've been absolutely rancid going into every World Cup since 1992, this is the first time we've come in with any sort of form.

Our record in World Cups is a national disgrace, not one knock out game won or a semi final since 1992. Given there are only 8 teams with any sort of quality and even then it stands a chance that a few will perform poorly it is absolutely pathetic and this lot of overpaid, over hyped prima donna's are adding to our very sorry record.

Heads should roll.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I like Santner. He looks like Daniel Vettori's even weedier little brother.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
a MASSIVE 6 to finish off 237/6

Had England constructed an innings with that considered approach to shot making, running between the wickets, and digging in, we'd have beaten Sri Lanka, and at least set up an attempt to with the Aussie game.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Pakistan in cruise control, this is bad news for England

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've only noticed today that England are playing India, with its battery of spinners, on the turning Edgbaston pitch and playing New Zealand, with its bunch of swing bowlers, at seam-friendly Durham. Well done to whoever agreed those venures

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I've only noticed today that England are playing India, with its battery of spinners, on the turning Edgbaston pitch and playing New Zealand, with its bunch of swing bowlers, at seam-friendly Durham. Well done to whoever agreed those venures

I think the Indians asked for Edgebaston....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here