Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 2019 Cricket World Cup

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So Root was given not out for an attempted flick down the leg side, subsequently reviewed to show he nicked it.

My question is that if the umpire didn't think he hit it, why is he not giving that as a wide? It was going down leg by some margin.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
So Root was given not out for an attempted flick down the leg side, subsequently reviewed to show he nicked it.

My question is that if the umpire didn't think he hit it, why is he not giving that as a wide? It was going down leg by some margin.

Because he deliberately played it, miss or not.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Because he deliberately played it, miss or not.

Doesn't matter whether you play at or not, any ball outside leg stump going away should be given as a wide I thought. From the ICC...

Wide Bowling - Judging a Wide:

Umpires are instructed to apply a very strict and consistent interpretation in regard to this Law in order to prevent negative bowling wide of the wicket.

Any offside or leg side delivery which in the the opinion of the umpire does not give the batsmen a reasonable opportunity to score shall be called wide. As a guide, on the leg side a ball landing clearly outside the leg stump going further away shall be called wide.

A penalty of one run for a wide shall be scored. This penalty shall stand in addition to any other runs which are scored or awarded. All runs which are run or result from a wide ball which is not a no ball shall be scored wide balls.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Butler gone for 10 now. Making hard work of this.

144/5 - England require another 89 runs with 5 wickets and 17.3 overs remaining

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Very key partnership required from Stokes and Ali

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Moeen
Moeen
Moeen
Moeeee-eeeen
I'm begging of you please don't find third man.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looks like we are very partial to collapse despite us looking worldbeaters in the last year or so, if/when we make the last 4 no one will be too afraid to play us.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Maybe there is a West Indies batsman we could pinch

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Are they any use with the bat though ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When is Jason Roy back?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills