Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 2019 Cricket World Cup

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Exactly. And in scenario 2, if it's hitting by an inch (2 out of 3 out) and the umpire said not out, it stays as not out despite the technology.

They've decided to weight it in favour of the batsman, and that's fine. But Bold was claiming that the technology can be trusted when it's missing, but not when it's hitting - that makes no sense.

It's weighted toward the umpire's decision.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You come across so contrary sometimes!
Thanks.
I am not sure which system they are using in this World Cup (Hawk-Eye, Eagle Eye or Virtual Eye) but Hawkeye has been proven to be accurate to 3.6 millimeters or 1% of a stump. They have allowed a little extra to ensure umpires are still essential to the game and also to avoid massive controversy over extremely (e.g. less than 1 or 2 mm) tight margins. The umpires call aspect is about as good an application of technology in sport right now. Not sure what you're really complaining about tbh.
If you're not sure, have you read the thread? Willow was the one who brought it up - he said the umpire calls are frustrating, as it was actually LBW. Bold said this was due to margin of error, and I'm simply pointing out that they're only allowing for margin for error in favour of the batsman. If it's marginally hitting, they won't overrule the umpire - if it's marginally missing, they will overrule. It's an understandable call that they're favouring the batsman, but Bold was arguing that that wasn't the case, and that these margins only work one way.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks.
If you're not sure, have you read the thread? Willow was the one who brought it up - he said the umpire calls are frustrating, as it was actually LBW. Bold said this was due to margin of error, and I'm simply pointing out that they're only allowing for margin for error in favour of the batsman. If it's marginally hitting, they won't overrule the umpire - if it's marginally missing, they will overrule. It's an understandable call that they're favouring the batsman, but Bold was arguing that that wasn't the case, and that these margins only work one way.

As said above, the margin of error goes with the umpire. You're just reading more into posts than is there (as per usual :))

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As said above, the margin of error goes with the umpire.
It doesn't. You're wrong, pure and simple. If the umpire gives it out, and the technology says it's missing by 1mm, the decision is overturned. That's not 'the margin of error going with the umpire'.

You're just reading more into posts than is there (as per usual :))
You've got it wrong, I said so, you're arguing with me :shrug:

Benefit of the doubt has always gone with the batsmen, even before technology. That is just cricket.
That's fine, and I accept that. We're only arguing because you were saying it goes with the umpire.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Only in the batsman's favour. Do you not see this?

This is true in that it will never be given out if shown to be missing (which is obviously the right way to go), but may be given not out if shown to be hitting (umpire's call originally not out). The system is marginally weighted in the batsman's favour, whilst giving the onfield umpire primacy unless there is a clear error. Ultimately, I think cricket have got the replay/review arrangements just about spot on. Marginal calls stay with the umpires decision, clear errors are quickly corrected and the review process (and numbers) are well thought out and applied.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is true in that it will never be given out if shown to be missing (which is obviously the right way to go), but may be given not out if shown to be hitting (umpire's call originally not out). The system is marginally weighted in the batsman's favour, whilst giving the onfield umpire primacy unless there is a clear error.
That's all I was saying (because Willow was a bit frustrated by it).

Ultimately, I think cricket have got the replay/review arrangements just about spot on. Marginal calls stay with the umpires decision
Except when it's missing!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It doesn't. You're wrong, pure and simple. If the umpire gives it out, and the technology says it's missing by 1mm, the decision is overturned. That's not 'the margin of error going with the umpire'.

You've got it wrong, I said so, you're arguing with me :shrug:

That's fine, and I accept that. We're only arguing because you were saying it goes with the umpire.

If you want a badge, that is fine, I can get one made. :thumbsup:

I'm not wrong though, you are just daft.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here