Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 2019 Cricket World Cup

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I quite like the format, but it's too slow. There needs to be 2 games a day a day and a d/n game. It's not going to affect the income from the Asian markets too much, if say, WI v SA started at 12pm

The weather has not helped matters but this World Cup is yet to really catch fire. The Champions Trophy is infinitely more exciting, top 8 teams two groups of 4 and all done and dusted in a fortnight.

It is conceivable that every game this week could be washed out.

:nono:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Both Pakistan teams in action v Australia today... the one that drops everything and look a bit of a shambles and the one that can tear through a team. Australia looking at getting close to 400 at one point.

all out 307 ... GAME ON

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From 277/4 with 8 overs left, that is a shocking finish for the #Cheats

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I quite like the format, but it's too slow. There needs to be 2 games a day a day and a d/n game. It's not going to affect the income from the Asian markets too much, if say, WI v SA started at 12pm

Plenty of less interesting games to double up with a bigger game to make it work

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bloody rain is getting right on my tits this week. The ICC have really ballsed this up by not adding any reserve day contingency.

Yep. But then we all know the cricket authorities run the LTA close for barely believable levels of incompetence - they are absolutely clueless. You could dream up all manner of ways to create a world cup format and 99% of them would be better than the utterly dreadful effort we've been lumbered with - where everyone plays everyone over half the summer, with absolutely no contingency for rain and no day-night games to cater for evening audiences and people the world over, the whole tournament stuck on Sky (you'd think they might have insisted the semis onwards were free to air, but no). It's a predictable shambles.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I'm happy with a draw today as I've backed New Zealand outright and India were 4/9 with NZ 7/4 in today's clash. Another point which keeps them top.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Here's hoping we get a full match today.

Might be a slightly delayed start looking at this, but rest of the day looks like we could be ok

southampton.JPG

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yep. But then we all know the cricket authorities run the LTA close for barely believable levels of incompetence - they are absolutely clueless. You could dream up all manner of ways to create a world cup format and 99% of them would be better than the utterly dreadful effort we've been lumbered with - where everyone plays everyone over half the summer, with absolutely no contingency for rain and no day-night games to cater for evening audiences and people the world over, the whole tournament stuck on Sky (you'd think they might have insisted the semis onwards were free to air, but no). It's a predictable shambles.

You missed out limiting the tournament to 10 teams, so leaving out two test teams and giving no encouragement to developing cricket nations. They've also completely cocked up the ticketing so that all games are 'sold out' with rows upon rows of empty seats.

You're being slightly unfair as there are some day-night games - not many - but there are some.

They really do make FIFA look like a well-oiled team of sports administrators

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
England win toss and BOWL

Unchanged 11

England: 1 Jason Roy, 2 Jonny Bairstow, 3 Joe Root, 4 Eoin Morgan (capt), 5 Ben Stokes, 6 Jos Buttler (wk), 7 Chris Woakes, 8 Adil Rashid, 9 Liam Plunkett, 10 Jofra Archer, 11 Mark Wood.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You missed out limiting the tournament to 10 teams, so leaving out two test teams and giving no encouragement to developing cricket nations. They've also completely cocked up the ticketing so that all games are 'sold out' with rows upon rows of empty seats.

You're being slightly unfair as there are some day-night games - not many - but there are some.

They really do make FIFA look like a well-oiled team of sports administrators
Exactly. It's been an object lesson on how not to run a cricket tournament. What annoys me is that the ICC (and ECB for that matter) are woefully under-scrutinised by the media and the public at large. Football authorities are under a microscope 24/7 but cricket has always been run farcically ever since I can remember - cricket people in the media barely comment on it, and nothing ever changes. As the game is decreasingly played in state schools, loses popularity because of that, and the clueless suits in charge dance to the tune of television companies without a moment's thought on how to improve things, I wouldn't be that surprised to find cricket becomes little more than a niche game in 30 or 40 years time - and it really isn't the fault of the game itself, which could have so much more to offer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here