Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter move signals Brighton's exciting change of direction

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Our biggest problem, in my opinion, was an almost total lack of movement into space.

This. The one thing I wouldn't stop bleating about last season, and one thing which was never addressed by CH.

Got the ball? Yes? Okay, now run into a safe space where you can pass it to someones feet - who will be mugged immediately and lose it, then we all run backwards again. If not, try passing sideways or backwards - this prevents opposing players from getting near you and trying one of those tackle things...

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
Yes, we treated the ball like a hot potato under CH’s negative set up, when pressed. No outlet meant more and more desperate short passing followed by a hoof, or worse we got caught in possession. We need the players to be comfortable in passing to each other and have a forward outlet. The quality of players was blamed by many. We’ll be finding out how true that is next season.

Was it the players or the tactics is a mute point.

I agree under Hughton our football was far too pedestrian. We lacked movement, energy and attacking endeavour. All too often our possession collapsed or ended up going backwards. The players can only do as instructed.

We now have a manager who gears his teams towards having possession and using it positively. This style will be implemented on the training pitch. Strong pass 'n' move training. Looking to beat the press. Using possession as a form of defence. This style isn't so much expansive, it's a more tactical way of playing. I still believe we'll set up defensively strong but when we get the ball we'll be much more of a threat. We have the players (but we also need to strengthen) they just need guidance, belief and a tactical system to believe in. :bhasign:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yeah, it’s interesting that in the pre match warm up we’d have grids and they’d ping the ball around quickly to feet, retaining possession, and look a million dollars. Problem was it never got as far as the pitch.
I am hopeful.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I agree under Hughton our football was far too pedestrian. We lacked movement, energy and attacking endeavour. All too often our possession collapsed or ended up going backwards. The players can only do as instructed.

We now have a manager who gears his teams towards having possession and using it positively. This style will be implemented on the training pitch. Strong pass 'n' move training. Looking to beat the press. Using possession as a form of defence. This style isn't so much expansive, it's a more tactical way of playing. I still believe we'll set up defensively strong but when we get the ball we'll be much more of a threat. We have the players (but we also need to strengthen) they just need guidance, belief and a tactical system to believe in. :bhasign:

The very first tactical post, I agree with to the word (I could have written it myself).

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Funny how we all remember the same things in different ways I seem to be recall no end of complaints on this board regarding the same style of play during GPs time, slow build up keeping possession pointlessly one side of the pitch and then back to the other side

this this and this. lots of people have rewritten history over the type of football we played in the championship with Poyet - it was largely very dull, games with no shots on target, passing along the back line - ok we had the odd 6-1 (Blackpool) but it was turgid a lot of the time.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Funny how we all remember the same things in different ways I seem to be recall no end of complaints on this board regarding the same style of play during GPs time, slow build up keeping possession pointlessly one side of the pitch and then back to the other side

But there was a method and a discernible pattern of play. Even if in the end it became all about retaining possession at the expense of shooting.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There's a lot of assumptions in this thread (and this article) about a manager who, has yet to even meet the squad let alone coach them. !!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Was thinking likewise

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's a lot of assumptions in this thread (and this article) about a manager who, has yet to even meet the squad let alone coach them. !!

You're going to have to tow the party line soon, or else you'll be out of a job. :lolol:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
The more I consider Potters preference for possession based football, the more I fear for Dunk and Duffy.

Both are excellent backs to the wall defenders, but neither excell playing a high line. Duffy prone to the odd lapse in concentration, allowing attackers to pick off a careless backpass.

Dunk never comfortable when pulled out wide and harried by top quality wingers.

I wonder if Potter will decide to introduce a third CB? Someone who does prefer to play a high line and ideally with a name beginning with D for the sake of illiteration? Perhaps a converted CM in the Javier Mascherano / Vincent Company mould.

Someone like Eric Dier?

Or, and bare with me on this one... Dale Stephens?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

Absolutely nothing wrong with using his past as a blueprint for his future and seeing how our squad could excel or be left wanting by the style he likes to play. The board would be a whole lot duller if we all just sat quietly until August.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Great read thanks.
With Graham Potter coming in, everyone gets a clean slate (chance).
Given new ideas / tactics the players (you know who you are), might just thrive with less pressure and a new mindset of getting rid of the 'flop' title.

Very true. Everyone gets a clean late .... for pre season.

But the transfer window ends on 8th August, and by then we need space in the squad and payroll budget to accommodate 3 or 4 new first team players (RB, ACM, striker and another midfielder).

So presumably some players will be moved on between meeting up with Potter and 8th August?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Absolutely nothing wrong with using his past as a blueprint for his future and seeing how our squad could excel or be left wanting by the style he likes to play. The board would be a whole lot duller if we all just sat quietly until August.

In the interviews he has undertaken since becoming our boss he has repeatedly stated his key objective it to improve the players. I wonder, if instead of changing everything, we will play similarly (but better) to the past few seasons?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In the interviews he has undertaken since becoming our boss he has repeatedly stated his key objective it to improve the players. I wonder, if instead of changing everything, we will play similarly (but better) to the past few seasons?

The things that were 'wrong' with the Albion you could count of the fingers of one hand.

It can't be too often a new manager walks into a club and it isn't a total 'clusterf**k'.
Mr Potter should see himself as very lucky.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Our biggest problem, in my opinion, was an almost total lack of movement into space. Attacks just ran out out of anywhere to go. Looking at some of the top sides, they never stop looking to find somewhere to receive a pass. Poyet's side used triangles the whole time he was with us and we were tough to get the ball from. Our current squad is more than capable of learning new techniques.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

If you look at Citeh, they do something similar and I am sure I have seen someone on the tele explain that Peps system is always triangles, when pressing it always within 6 strides to the next City player and always (if they can move) the triangle forward and expand it when there is space. And he has said "I loathe all that passing for the sake of it, all that tiki-taka. It's so much rubbish and has no purpose. You have to pass the ball with a clear intention, with the aim of making it into the opposition's goal. It's not about passing for the sake of it."

Think Potter goes someway to that style as well. Maybe that's why Swansea gave City such a good game?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Needs sound up - but not if the kids are running about. :lolol:

[tweet]1132312763014025216[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or, and bare with me on this one... Dale Stephens?

I mentioned Stephen's as a potential centre back, with caveats a plenty, a couple of weeks ago.

I'm very surprised others are even prepared it think along similar lines.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Very true. Everyone gets a clean late .... for pre season.

But the transfer window ends on 8th August, and by then we need space in the squad and payroll budget to accommodate 3 or 4 new first team players (RB, ACM, striker and another midfielder).

So presumably some players will be moved on between meeting up with Potter and 8th August?

Shame we dont celebrate Christmas in August!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here