[Albion] Potter move signals Brighton's exciting change of direction

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
**** sake, bloody NSC pedants :rolleyes:

Can I blame autocorrect? :lolol:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
"But Brighton have already moved on, securing a target they had clearly identified before Hughton’s sacking was confirmed. Graham Potter, having guided Swansea to 10th in the Championship in his first season at the club, is the Seagulls’ new manager, an appointment which signals a new direction for the club.

Potter, it can safely be said, will not be accused of playing drab and unadventurous football. Over eight years at Östersunds in Sweden, and then at Swansea, the 44-year-old earned a reputation as a coach who priorities possession-based, attacking football."

MORE >>> https://whisp.rs/2HUDp42

Good article. A few dullards on here need to read it, try to employ their brain cells and, maybe, just maybe, they will move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I agree, there wasn't much to admire especially from December onwards but Biss showed a lot of promise. The problem with the possession-based theory is we seemed to be unable to hold onto the ball last season. Hopefully Potter and his team can eradicate some of the sloppiness at times that cost us dearly. Do that and he's halfway there imho

Our biggest problem, in my opinion, was an almost total lack of movement into space. Attacks just ran out out of anywhere to go. Looking at some of the top sides, they never stop looking to find somewhere to receive a pass. Poyet's side used triangles the whole time he was with us and we were tough to get the ball from. Our current squad is more than capable of learning new techniques.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The more I consider Potters preference for possession based football, the more I fear for Dunk and Duffy.

Both are excellent backs to the wall defenders, but neither excell playing a high line. Duffy prone to the odd lapse in concentration, allowing attackers to pick off a careless backpass.

Dunk never comfortable when pulled out wide and harried by top quality wingers.

I wonder if Potter will decide to introduce a third CB? Someone who does prefer to play a high line and ideally with a name beginning with D for the sake of illiteration? Perhaps a converted CM in the Javier Mascherano / Vincent Company mould.

Someone like Eric Dier?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The more I consider Potters preference for possession based football, the more I fear for Dunk and Duffy.

Both are excellent backs to the wall defenders, but neither excell playing a high line. Duffy prone to the odd lapse in concentration, allowing attackers to pick off a careless backpass.

I wonder if Potter will decide to introduce a third CB? Someone who does prefer to play a high line and ideally with a name beginning with D for the sake of illiteration? Perhaps a converted CM in the Javier Mascherano / Vincent Company mould.

Someone like Eric Dier?

a) We'll never get Eric Dier if you are actually thinking of him exclusively.
b) Dunk is a very good footballing centre back, and I don't get why he'd be marking wingers? He also played a high line under previous managers before CH rocked up. So the whole Dunk thing is a little baffling to me.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I like the 'attacking' bit!

"Attacking".

*From Google*
British
(in sport) making a forceful attempt to score or otherwise gain an advantage.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
---

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld

Someone like Eric Dier?
How about Romania’s answer to dier?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
a) We'll never get Eric Dier if you are actually thinking of him exclusively.
b) Dunk is a very good footballing centre back, and I don't get why he'd be marking wingers? He also played a high line under previous managers before CH rocked up. So the whole Dunk thing is a little baffling to me.

Not Dier specifically.

I can think of a couple of occasions when Dunk was pulled out wide, covering for his fullback, and looked very shaky. I think one was against Fulham at the Amex when Mitrovic completely bullied him out wide and drove into the box.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I can think of a couple of occasions when Dunk was pulled out wide, covering for his fullback, and looked very shaky. I think one was against Fulham at the Amex when Mitrovic completely bullied him out wide and drove into the box.

None of us are perfect.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Also, if we did play three at the back, which on stats previously posted, I can't see happening to often, then, like England and Kyle Walker, Bernardo could make up that threesome?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
"But Brighton have already moved on, securing a target they had clearly identified before Hughton’s sacking was confirmed. Graham Potter, having guided Swansea to 10th in the Championship in his first season at the club, is the Seagulls’ new manager, an appointment which signals a new direction for the club.

Potter, it can safely be said, will not be accused of playing drab and unadventurous football. Over eight years at Östersunds in Sweden, and then at Swansea, the 44-year-old earned a reputation as a coach who priorities possession-based, attacking football."

MORE >>> https://whisp.rs/2HUDp42

Not a pressing game ? (which can be over done anyway)

Nothing about a high line either, more playing in our own half?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here