Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gus Poyet to Swansea City is the word, how good is he?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I watched some of your football with him before and you looked good. What's the word on him from Brighton?

Some Brighton fans have short memories. Very good manager. He would get you up.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yeah the end went pear shaped but some decent football and got hold of some decent players partly because of his reputatoion. My concern for Swansea would be whether there is enough money to attract him and the sort of players he likes.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Brilliant manager, with issues. Could be so good, but still hasn’t worked out that a lot of stuff that goes wrong is down to him. Still think there is a great manager in there somewhere, and I would have taken him back here. I’m definitely in the minority there though!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Let’s hope for your sake he’s learnt to be a bit more humble and can curb his gigantic ego.

Surely he would have done by now? When he was with us he had not long finished playing and was hot property as an up and coming manager. He thought he was a dead cert to get the Chelsea job in a couple of years. A lot has happened since then, which must surely have made him realise a few home truths.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
He’s not even mentioned in the betting. The bookies have Bob Bradley at 100/1 to go back to Swansea more likely than Poyet...

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He was more defensive than Hughton. In fact Hughton had us playing much better football in the Championship than we ever played under Poyet.

Poyet was as cautious in the Championship as Hughton was in the Prem.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He was more defensive than Hughton. In fact Hughton had us playing much better football in the Championship than we ever played under Poyet.

Agree on that Hughton would of walked the Championship with Poyet’s squad

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Gus was enigmatic and a massive coup for the club when appointed. He raised the profile by just being, ermmm, Gus Poyet I guess... he was a selling point in terms of Calde, Bruno, Vicente et al... he put us on the map, and as more than a quaint footballing footnote. He was/is arrogant, doubtless a bully at times, but man oh man his ‘football’ was golden at times and this in league 1. Sure things went sour, he got too big for his spats, but to err is human, to forgive divine.

He’d be the perfect fit for the Swans, if he can reign in the superbrat entitlement of yore... I think he might just have changed a little, but Gus is, how you say? Complicated and as unpredictable as the ocean at times.

Truth be told, I sometimes wish he had made it with us and never left... indeed our own, our very own GP seems to favour a similar game, yet with the intelligence not to allow hubris to cloud one’s judgement. It’s all snakes and ladders, the question is: which one is Gus?

Misty eyed and fey.

Kosh

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Was a fantastic manager and character for us. Some, for some reason, have it in for him because of the way he left. I guess the pretending he was sacked on live tv didn’t help.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This 100%.

The brilliant League One attacking football under Poyet, was largely abandoned during his Championship 2 years ... we came up against better defenders and managers sadly. Replaced by Greer passing it about to El Abd or Greer, to Brezovan or Ankergren, and then the same all over again, whilst out of his depth CMS hoped to get lucky. With some quality play by Buckley, Orlandi, Lopez and Vicente (when not injured), at times, and some memorable games.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Flip a coin.

Was revolutionary here for us, before his head was turned.

But if your owners aren’t forthcoming with the old wonga, then he might get unhappy.

I’ll be keeping an eye out, if it happens.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Some Brighton fans have short memories. Very good manager. He would get you up.
How do you come to that conclusion? He didn't get us into the PL and his budget was way bigger than he'll get at Swansea.

I enjoyed watching us under Poyet until he pressed the self destruct button (Reading comes to mind). His actions against Palace in the playoffs, or rather inactions for the second leg.

He might be a good fit though considering the playing style Potter employed.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
No need to alter the manager's tracksuit. So money saved there already.
Unlike the second coming of Micky Adams-who's got the Tippex?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
The only time I ever went to a reserve game at Lancing, GP's appointment (possibly the day before) swelling the evening crowd, the messiah walking amongst us on the terrace, him certainly keen to get started. Not many newly appointed managers would have rocked up to such a fixture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here