Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gus Poyet to Swansea City is the word, how good is he?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It will be absolutely brilliant (f***ing brilliant at times) and then it will turn to shit.

There will be a huge thread on NSC predicting the date that this change will happen

One thing guaranteed - entertainment (You just have to hope there is more for Swans fans than fans of other clubs)

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Last edited:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
The nature if his acrimonious exit from BHA has coloured a lot of views, and led to an awful lot of rewriting of history from some fans here.

IMO he is a BRILLIANT manager, who pulled this club up by its bootstraps at a time when we were a joke. We won L1 with such style and panache, without throwing money at it. Some of my greatest memories in 30-odd years of being a BHA fan was courtesy of Gus. I left the game at Charlton with an erection.

He's a maverick walking rollercoaster who shoots from the lip, but I think he'd be an excellent appointment for Swansea.

:bowdown:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Not so long ago we were Swansea’s b-side.
Not any more

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He’ll play a style of football you’ll appreciate and enjoy, he’s a good fit for the ethos Swansea have had over a period of time.

My reservations are based around player assessment and I always felt he let too many go, thinking they weren’t good enough, they were and have proven to be. He was also seduced by big names. When he then took Bridcutt and Buckley to Sunderland I definitely had a feeling his opinion on players was very skewed.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
He was great for us - some of the football we played under his management was breathtaking. But he has a typical Latin temperament - he's a ticking time bomb waiting to go off if he is not backed with money. Under his tutelage we attracted some great players and played brilliantly at times - very much like the Swansea of a few years back.
Expect Liam Bridcutt to sign for you if Gus gets the job - he's always said that Bridcutt will do exactly what he is told and he trusted him more than any other player.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You will not get much joy from our supporters about him due to the manner in which he left but for me we played the best football that I have seen from a Brighton team whilst he was manager.

Amen to that, I agree with every word. I'd be very surprised to see Swansea go for such a high profile manager, but if they do I think they are going to treated to some high quality passing football.

I've long since thought that Gus is worth one final chance in the English game, so perhaps this is it.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Can’t disagree with much that has already been said - he transformed our identity on the pitch and that League 1 promotion season will never leave the memory, winning the league in style.

For all the great things he did for us let’s not forget his gold plated cock-up in letting Murray go on a free at the end of that League 1 season, who was banging in goals for fun, and replaced him with another League 1 striker in CMS who was never in the same class as Muzza. The direction those 2 players careers has taken has proven what a monumentally bad decision that was.

Poyet’s career has done nothing but nosedive since he left us and he’s found himself back at square one where I genuinely think he could take the Swansea job simply to try and give himself a platform to reignite his managerial career - I honestly don’t think he can afford to be picky anymore when it comes to clubs playing budgets, just as it was when he joined us. However, if he does take the job and makes a success of it then I think we’ll see the old Gus again and he’ll start pimping himself out for bigger managerial jobs. He could take Swansea on a ride that’s for sure !

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Hard to know how good he is now, his recent record doesn't suggest he can operate consistently at a high level. But for us, he was the perfect manager at that time.

He brought a certain x-factor to the club, which allowed us to bring in players to a League 1 club who could have operated at a higher level. He played a possession based game that used quick passing and counter attacks to devastating effect. At times he employed unusual formations and line-ups which confused other teams and managers. He was clearly a cut above the other managers in the division at the time.

To begin with in the Championship he continued in much the same vein but as time went on possession became the number 1 priority at the expense of much of our attacking flair. We certainly had our moments and he continued to attract players to the club who we probably had no right to expect even knew we existed let along would ordinarily consider playing for us. However, playing five in midfield at home with Ashley Barnes out on the left came to symbolise the slightly negative feel and on too many occasions a corner for us ended up three passes later back with our goalkeeper. His mantra seemed to be that if we had the ball the other team couldn't score rather than we've got the ball we are going to try to score. That's not say we couldn't at times play some great football, its just that it didn't seem to happen consistently or frequently enough. And as good as we were getting to a couple of play-off semi-finals, given the players we had at the time, there remains a strong feeling that better managers would probably have got us promoted to the Premier League.

For a player who had so much attacking intent, he was a manager than seemed to develop our defensive capabilities and players better than our attacking flair and ability. He ever quite managed to sort out a consistent and effective attacking line up (especially after the first season in the Championship) and never really got the best out of our offensive players.

These days I'd probably put him in the same category as Zola - a great player and probably a useful coach/assistant manager who can be effective working with the first team squad but as the man out in front, sorry Clive, not for me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can’t disagree with much that has already been said - he transformed our identity on the pitch and that League 1 promotion season will never leave the memory, winning the league in style.

For all the great things he did for us let’s not forget his gold plated cock-up in letting Murray go on a free at the end of that League 1 season, who was banging in goals for fun, and replaced him with another League 1 striker in CMS who was never in the same class as Muzza. The direction those 2 players careers has taken has proven what a monumentally bad decision that was.

Poyet’s career has done nothing but nosedive since he left us and he’s found himself back at square one where I genuinely think he could take the Swansea job simply to try and give himself a platform to reignite his managerial career - I honestly don’t think he can afford to be picky anymore when it comes to clubs playing budgets, just as it was when he joined us. However, if he does take the job and makes a success of it then I think we’ll see the old Gus again and he’ll start pimping himself out for bigger managerial jobs. He could take Swansea on a ride that’s for sure !

Will we ever hear “I can see me managing Brighton again, they are a club I still have in my heart, ees complicated but why not?” :lolol:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Will we ever hear “I can see me managing Brighton again, they are a club I still have in my heart, ees complicated but why not?” :lolol:

Gustavo Poyet Dominguez, a manager you either love or hate. I'm very much in the former camp.

On a seperater note, l see that his son Diego, once a prodigy at Charlton and West Ham, is now, at the ripe old age of only 24, plying his trade in Cyprus with Pafos.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hope not!

I seem to remember him talking about 'ceilings' - well. I think maybe he reached his ceiling with us, so if Swansea's ambition is to not quite make it through the play-offs, then he would be a good fit for them.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
GP is like that girlfriend who it all starts out so well with. She seems wonderful, passionate, romantic.

After a while though she gets bored. She starts telling you that she's out of your league. She feels no shame in eyeing up other guys, even when you are standing right next to her.

If you aren't careful and you don't get out of there when things start to go south you'll end up a broken man with low self esteem and attatchment issues.

On the plus side the sex is pretty good. So there is that.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
GP is like that girlfriend who it all starts out so well with. She seems wonderful, passionate, romantic.

After a while though she gets bored. She starts telling you that she's out of your league. She feels no shame in eyeing up other guys, even when you are standing right next to her.

If you aren't careful and you don't get out of there when things start to go south you'll end up a broken man with low self esteem and attatchment issues.

On the plus side the sex is pretty good. So there is that.

A very fertile mind :lolol:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Look on it as a 3 year (max) appointment - buckle in tight and enjoy the ride - but it will end in tears.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The nature if his acrimonious exit from BHA has coloured a lot of views, and led to an awful lot of rewriting of history from some fans here.

IMO he is a BRILLIANT manager, who pulled this club up by its bootstraps at a time when we were a joke. We won L1 with such style and panache, without throwing money at it. Some of my greatest memories in 30-odd years of being a BHA fan was courtesy of Gus. I left the game at Charlton with an erection.

He's a maverick walking rollercoaster who shoots from the lip, but I think he'd be an excellent appointment for Swansea.

I do kind of understand this point of view.

But...What would you say are the chances that it will all end in tears wherever he goes, ever? Because I have them at around 100%, give or take 0%.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
This would be hilarious.
Anyone recall when Leon Knight went to Swansea? This will be like that, but in managerial form.

Leon Knight at Swansea: played: 25 scored 19 and they still got rid. That man was a menace to himself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here