Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] all this Mount Everest shennannigans....wtf

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i mean 7 dead this week as hundreds of climbers "queue" in the death zone @ 8000 ft to make a final approach to the summit and get their picture taken , what an absolute lead off bucket list bollockery.......a real indication of how ****ing stupid people are.:rant::rant::hilton:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
i mean 7 dead this week as hundreds of climbers "queue" in the death zone @ 8000 ft to make a final approach to the summit and get their picture taken , what an absolute lead off bucket list bollockery.......a real indication of how ****ing stupid people are.:rant::rant::hilton:

So the 'final approach' is just the remaining 21,000 feet is it? Should be easily done before tea time ........................................

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The problem is that it’s become a tourist route like the famous Alps peaks can be, too. The “climbing” isn’t technical and there’s too many up there who couldn’t survive or get near the summit without their guides.

I’ve seen people on the Matterhorn like dogs on leads. No real achievement as far as I can see, which is why I never had the desire to climb Everest. Far too dangerous for real climbers with all the tourists around!

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Nepal caught between needing the money from the permits and destroying the whole commercial enterprise. Barely even considered climbing to the more discerning mountaineer, more about altitude endurance and surviving the winds and icefalls, the actual climbing bit facilitated/done for you with fixed ropes, ladders, sherpas wiping your arse, hauling your oxygen... and all for around £60k

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Friend of mine is there at the moment, his last FB update 2 hours ago read;

43B8256C-4B3E-4BA4-85EC-6BF42313CEFE.jpeg

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
The problem is that it’s become a tourist route like the famous Alps peaks can be, too. The “climbing” isn’t technical and there’s too many up there who couldn’t survive or get near the summit without their guides.

I’ve seen people on the Matterhorn like dogs on leads. No real achievement as far as I can see, which is why I never had the desire to climb Everest. Far too dangerous for real climbers with all the tourists around!

Apparently rubbish has been found up there. Bet idiots are stacking stones as well.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nepal caught between needing the money from the permits and destroying the whole commercial enterprise. Barely even considered climbing to the more discerning mountaineer, more about altitude endurance and surviving the winds and icefalls, the actual climbing bit facilitated/done for you with fixed ropes, ladders, sherpas wiping your arse, hauling your oxygen... and all for around £60k

Money does not filter down. Gov. officials and rich run the trekking firms.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
My Dad has a great philosophy on climbing Everest. He says

"You could walk up one side of it pushing a ****in pram but those edjits want to go up the other side. If they had half a brain those ***** would be dangerous"

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Some of the pictures are insane, it’s literally a long snaking queue of about 60-70 people standing in line waiting their turn. Most of whom have probably been dragged, pulled and pushed there, if not outright carried, by Sherpas (while other Sherpas lug all their gear, of course).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Some of the pictures are insane, it’s literally a long snaking queue of about 60-70 people standing in line waiting their turn. Most of whom have probably been dragged, pulled and pushed there, if not outright carried, by Sherpas (while other Sherpas lug all their gear, of course).
When did this become a thing?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Money does not filter down. Gov. officials and rich run the trekking firms.

So are you claiming that the Sherpas are working for free as the rich and Government officials are the only ones to benefit from this industry? (or anyone else that directly benefits from the tourist trade like, say, airport workers, etc....)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Emotional decision, they just want to. Popular way to decide what to do these days.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So are you claiming that the Sherpas are working for free as the rich and Government officials are the only ones to benefit from this industry? (or anyone else that directly benefits from the tourist trade like, say, airport workers, etc....)

Not really.
The Sherpa’s rightfully make money but it is a very short climbing season at 2 months, and extremely high risk. They are a minuscule proportion of the Nepali population.
The airport workers are busier dealing with the thousands of Nepali expat workers who fly off to be abused in the Oil rich states, trekkers, Chitwan visitors and general tourists rather than the few hundred Everest wannabes.

Most of the Earthquake relief funds went to the rich.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I think that this year the weather there has meant that the summit window is incredibly short, they are talking about maybe two days for the whole season, where as you normally have people summiting over a period of a week or more some years. However, something does have to change, maybe limiting permits to stop people going back year after year or having some other qualification like having already scaled one of the other 8,000 plus peaks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here