Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Middlesbrough taking legal action against Derby - FFP

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...rough-sue-derby-alleged-breaches-offinancial/

Gibson's Middlesbrough missed out on the final Play Off place to Derby by a solitary point a few weeks ago. They're now looking to sue the Rams for a breach of FFP rules, announcing this a couple of days before the Play Off final.

Mel Morris apparently sold the clubs facilities and then has been renting them back to the club. Interesting to see if this action will have any legs or just posturing from Gibson, as he and Morris clearly don't like each other. Sheffield Wednesday also mentioned.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Doesn't seem to have much legal merit, but we'll see.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Guess they know what it’s like to just miss out now, maybe their fans won’t be such absolute ****s next time the situation is reversed

Now what’s that lovely German word? :lolol:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Guess they know what it’s like to just miss out now, maybe their fans won’t be such absolute ****s next time the situation is reversed

Now what’s that lovely German word? [emoji38]ol:
I'm hoping it is a long while before the situation is reversed.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Now what’s that lovely German word? :lolol:

Wassersport?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There does seem to be an inconsistency in the FFP rules regarding selling the stadium. A club can spend hundreds of millions on their stadium and training facilities, and this is exempt from the FFP calcs. And this is one of the reasons why BHA didn’t fall foul of FFP rules, despite accounts submitted to companies house indicating that we’d overspent. However, selling the stadium seems to count as income as far as FFP is concerned. What’s to stop a chairman selling the ground to himself one year and then the club buying it back the next?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
There does seem to be an inconsistency in the FFP rules regarding selling the stadium. A club can spend hundreds of millions on their stadium and training facilities, and this is exempt from the FFP calcs. And this is one of the reasons why BHA didn’t fall foul of FFP rules, despite accounts submitted to companies house indicating that we’d overspent. However, selling the stadium seems to count as income as far as FFP is concerned. What’s to stop a chairman selling the ground to himself one year and then the club buying it back the next?
Isn't that what the owner of Derby did?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Isn't that what the owner of Derby did?

That seems to be exactly what he’s done. What I’m suggesting is that Derby County FC could buy it back off of him next year, and that cost won’t count against their FFP calcs. Rinse and repeat.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
That seems to be exactly what he’s done. What I’m suggesting is that Derby County FC could buy it back off of him next year, and that cost won’t count against their FFP calcs. Rinse and repeat.

If that is right then that is a loophole that needs closing, thats for sure.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You could do it with anything. Sell the porter cabin for £1m, buy it back the next day for £1, then sell it again for £1m. Obviously a complete farce and cheating. It's up to the governing body to make it impossible for things like that to count in FFP terms.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

It's a good point, shows you how farcical FFP is

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
El Pres has mentioned the Derby manoeuvre previously.

It is a smoke and mirrors transaction, in the same way that QPR tried to treat a write off of Fernandes loans as ‘income’ in their Profit and Loss Account in an attempt to boost income/profits, to circumvent FFP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here