Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Middlesbrough taking legal action against Derby - FFP

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There does seem to be an inconsistency in the FFP rules regarding selling the stadium. A club can spend hundreds of millions on their stadium and training facilities, and this is exempt from the FFP calcs. And this is one of the reasons why BHA didn’t fall foul of FFP rules, despite accounts submitted to companies house indicating that we’d overspent. However, selling the stadium seems to count as income as far as FFP is concerned. What’s to stop a chairman selling the ground to himself one year and then the club buying it back the next?

Two lots of VAT ???

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Middlesbrough can just **** off. I honestly cannot stand their club, it’s just a reading with a bit more history and that’s it. They just make up the numbers and no one really cares enough.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Two lots of VAT ???

:p though no VAT on financial transactions. the answer is transactions and deals have to be commercial or market rate. wouldnt make a net profit selling ground back and forth. why they dont have a new shirt/stadium "deal" every year for a few more hundred million, not commercially viable. though they do push the boundry of this with some deals, and inflate the market with deals elsewhere.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
FFP must be scrapped - no-one seems to properly understand it, least of all the fans. Wolves losing £60m+ in the Championship last season being a prime example.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
FFP must be scrapped - no-one seems to properly understand it, least of all the fans. Wolves losing £60m+ in the Championship last season being a prime example.

That's fine but what will you do to replace it to ensure clubs don't mismanage their finances and end up in admin, leaving creditors screwed.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That's fine but what will you do to replace it to ensure clubs don't mismanage their finances and end up in admin, leaving creditors screwed.

I don't know if this would work, but how about if owners wish to invest in their clubs, they have to go the whole hog. You can't sign someone for £xm to be paid over the four years of their contract + £xK per week in wages with the intent to pay the difference at the end of the year, but just walk away when things change. Either pay up all in one go and/or the funding for every investment (e.g. new stadium builds, training grounds etc), player signing (+ wages), must be put into an account or trust of some sort. Every time a new contract is signed, this is topped up accordingly. Then if the owner walks away, or the club is relegated and their income drops, the money is there to pay wages, etc. without eating into the reduced income that would be used for other bills.\

I think there also needs to be something about not being allowed to charge interest (or interest above x%), and not being allowed to take payment for investment unless the income allows for it, and not allowed to take payment for investment after you've sold the club.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
A handle? A latch, maybe? A doorman, perhaps, if you are privileged. There again I’ve never tried opening a door with my knob, far too painful. :drink:

Reminds me of the absolute best spam email I ever received, the title was simply 'Knock down walls with your cock'. Genius.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

But if that is its goal, it does't work - Clubs that don't fall foul of FFP can still mismanage their finances to such an extent they end up in admin, whereas there are clubs that do breach FFP and have no issue with admin. The allowable losses appear don't have any relationship with the financiers tolerance to those losses.....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But if that is its goal, it does't work - Clubs that don't fall foul of FFP can still mismanage their finances to such an extent they end up in admin, whereas there are clubs that do breach FFP and have no issue with admin. The allowable losses appear don't have any relationship with the financiers tolerance to those losses.....

It's not perfect but, without checking the records, there seems to be far fewer teams entering admin which is a step forward.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here