Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Looking Forward To Next Season?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am really looking forward to next season.
I don't think there will be a massive change in personnel as I think Potter has been brought in to get the best out of what we already have. I look forward to him using the academy players too as I think that may have been part of his brief - to get the income stream flowing more freely and if, by doing that ,we discover a new talent well so much the better.
I think it'll be an interesting close season.

You’ll be pleasantly surprised imho. We have another £110m in broadcasting income, so expect to see 3 or 4 new faces costing up to £60m.

The club/Potter are playing this is down, which is normal.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You’ll be pleasantly surprised imho. We have another £110m in broadcasting income, so expect to see 3 or 4 new faces costing up to £60m.

Agree, this is being played down. Potter will want to make his stamp and will get some of his own signings in.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It is, I agree.

As much as almost everyone on NSC (but not me) believes that Jahanbakhsh, Locadia and Andone will suddenly become mid PL table greats under GP, the gaping inadequacies of the 2018/19 first team aren’t going away.

I think he was probably offered a transfer pot around the 60 mill mark. Just my inkling.

The players you mentioned deserve a season under new management as we know they were totally misplaced and treated with a degree of suspicion under CH. Let's see if any of them shine through.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

It will be a massive gamble if we go with the same players and a new manager. I think we’ll spend pretty big to improve a few positions.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think he was probably offered a transfer pot around the 60 mill mark. Just my inkling.

The players you mentioned deserve a season under new management as we know they were totally misplaced and treated with a degree of suspicion under CH. Let's see if any of them shine through.

But why?

Can only be based on performances in training (and obviously on the pitch). In my view, a couple have shown next to nothing, and there isn’t anything to say they suddenly will.

There is so much crap on here at the moment (not aimed at your post), about wingers at FB, but removing Stains, Bournemouth and Cardiff when we were appalling, we had a number of chances vs Burnley and Watford for example but couldn’t finish.

But I think suspicion is not really right, because if Chris had the last say aren’t they his players as well?

The same will apply to Potter.

I will be concerned if we are carrying ‘dead wood’ in the 25 man squad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's going to be a RIOT.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But why?

Can only be based on performances in training (and obviously on the pitch). In my view, a couple have shown next to nothing, and there isn’t anything to say they suddenly will.

There is so much crap on here at the moment (not aimed at your post), about wingers at FB, but removing Stains, Bournemouth and Cardiff when we were appalling, we had a number of chances vs Burnley and Watford for example but couldn’t finish.

But I think suspicion is not really right, because if Chris had the last say aren’t they his players as well?

I don't disagree with where you are going, but having a defence first manager always meant the flair would be kicked out of attacking players and for my own opinion I think he looked at the players that would be better equipped to defend first and attack rarely. I'm guessing that AJ, JL and FA didn't fit into the defend first formation.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I really don't see how anyone can't be excited for August.

The amount of doom and gloom around here is scary.

The list of players that won't 'make it' currently stands at:-

Ryan
Montoya
Duffy
Stephens (as usual)
Kayal
Propper (offski)
Gross
AK
Big Jurg (of course)
Ali J (booooo)
Andone
Murray (hopefully!)
The one I've forgotten.
& probably another one.
Plus the manager

I'm not naive enough to think every one of them will step up, a player or two will be found wanting.

But seemingly, according to many on here, nobody is going to 'bloom'.
Although I guess if one or two become value for money players that'll raise a fair few questions that some on here won't want to answer.

I guess some posters on here purposely throw 1 tile away when starting a 10,000 piece jigsaw because they don't want to complete it and want to watch the world burn

superstickies.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is, I agree.

As much as almost everyone on NSC (but not me) believes that Jahanbakhsh, Locadia and Andone will suddenly become mid PL table greats under GP, the gaping inadequacies of the 2018/19 first team aren’t going away.

Odd Ive not seen anyone say that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But why?

If things work well under Potter, this time next year some of the following would’ve left the club or be on their way - Locadia, Propper, Jahanbakhsh, Gross, Montoya and Andone.

Hopefully one or two raise their game and are consistent with it, but others will fail to make the grade as pacey players fitting in to an attacking game-plan.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't disagree with where you are going, but having a defence first manager always meant the flair would be kicked out of attacking players and for my own opinion I think he looked at the players that would be better equipped to defend first and attack rarely. I'm guessing that AJ, JL and FA didn't fit into the defend first formation.

Yes, fair comment as well, though you don’t lose ability from a flair perspective.

I love Chris and remain disappointed for him, but I don’t think he trusted the team in the last 3 months, in that I think he knew or realised we lacked potency up front and consequently went to crawl over the line. I think that is borne out particularly at Arsenal away when the shackles were off and we looked quite an offensive threat after half-time.

Hopefully that will be the team that gets nurtured, whilst still maintaining and solidness at the back....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Odd Ive not seen anyone say that.

It’s come from either:
a) People blaming CH and his tactics for all our woes. Who see mid-table football under Potter, due to far better coaching of Locadia, Andone and Jahanbakhsh. Apparently.
b) Or people seeing little transfer activity this summer, as TB has given GP a brief to get value out of those same players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s come from either:
a) People blaming CH and his tactics for all our woes. Who see mid-table football under Potter, due to far better coaching of Locadia, Andone and Jahanbakhsh. Apparently.
b) Or people seeing little transfer activity this summer, as TB has given GP a brief to get value out of those same players.

All of which is fair enough and none of which is 'almost everybody saying those 3 will all become midtable greats'.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yes, fair comment as well, though you don’t lose ability from a flair perspective.

I love Chris and remain disappointed for him, but I don’t think he trusted the team in the last 3 months, in that I think he knew or realised we lacked potency up front and consequently went to crawl over the line. I think that is borne out particularly at Arsenal away when the shackles were off and we looked quite an offensive threat after half-time.

Hopefully that will be the team that gets nurtured, whilst still maintaining and solidness at the back....

If players are taught to run backwards at every opportunity they will always be worried about bombing off into a forward position for fear that they have abandoned their defensive duties. Of the three that generally get mentioned, I still have a feeling that played in his correct position to his own strengths that Locadia will show he has the talent to make it in the PL.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If things work well under Potter, this time next year some of the following would’ve left the club or be on their way - Locadia, Propper, Jahanbakhsh, Gross, Montoya and Andone.

Hopefully one or two raise their game and are consistent with it, but others will fail to make the grade as pacey players fitting in to an attacking game-plan.

ALL are good players imo, look forward to them proving so many posters wrong next season. I feel some bounces coming if they don’t though :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here