Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Looking Forward To Next Season?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I always look forward to a new season. Clean slate and see the season unfold. It’s never dull at Brighton in terms of outcomes (although we have had some dire stuff served up in the past). It’s what supporting your team is all about. We don’t get so much time off in the summer these days, so the previous season is still a bit fresh - which can be good or bad.
Whilst I appreciate what CH did for us in his tenure, I have reservations at his ability to provide entertaining football in the Premier League on a low budget, and worry about the lack of opportunity he gave to the youngsters.
Everything about the club is so impressive now, except the football.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
Oh yes.
Potty has made things more interesting already.:albion2:

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Shocked and saddened as I was to see Chris Hughton leave I felt there was almost an inevitability about his departure. Probably many of you, like me, saw the writing on the wall during the last few months. So Tony Bloom takes the plunge and hires one of the up and coming English coaches with an illuminating C.V. - Graham Potter.

Admittedly I had never heard of him until rumours of his possible recruitment surfaced. I started reading articles about him and his footballing philosophy, I thought then that this could be an inspirational appointment by Bloom. A gamble, perhaps, but none the less a positive move in trying to get our team to play a more exciting and expansive game - something us fans have been craving for ages.

Now with our 2018/19 season over, instead of dreading another safety first, defensive attitude next term I’m now filled with optimism (hopefully not false!) about our performances for the coming season. I am intrigued as to whether Graham Potter will, at last, use our expensive signings - Jahanbakhsh, Locardia, Andone - in a more positive and productive manner. I’m looking forward to seeing Bissouma step up to the next level.
Essentially, I’m looking forward to the whole team playing in a much less inhibited fashion than we’ve been used to and to be exciting and entertaining.

For those reasons and many more I’m really looking forward to August. Bring it on! :albion2:

Blimey ep, you wouldn't have thought that every single word and sentiment of this had already been repeated ad finitum on here ever since GP was hired, but I suppose a new thread on the same tired old shit is always welcome. Welcome to the long hot summer NSC! Cheers and UTA. :)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
'Shocked and saddened as I was to see Chris Hughton leave '........really ?

is this really up for debate ? Many of those , really exhausted and frustrated by the 2019 results and the football feel this.
You can be shocked, or surprised perhaps, even if you think its justified that Bloom pulled the trigger. And i think nearly 100% of us are saddened with how it turned out because well, he's Chris Hughton.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Shocked and saddened as I was to see Chris Hughton leave I felt there was almost an inevitability about his departure. Probably many of you, like me, saw the writing on the wall during the last few months. So Tony Bloom takes the plunge and hires one of the up and coming English coaches with an illuminating C.V. - Graham Potter.

Now with our 2018/19 season over, instead of dreading another safety first, defensive attitude next term I’m now filled with optimism (hopefully not false!) about our performances for the coming season. I am intrigued as to whether Graham Potter will, at last, use our expensive signings - Jahanbakhsh, Locardia, Andone - in a more positive and productive manner. I’m looking forward to seeing Bissouma step up to the next level.
Essentially, I’m looking forward to the whole team playing in a much less inhibited fashion than we’ve been used to and to be exciting and entertaining.

For those reasons and many more I’m really looking forward to August. Bring it on! :albion2:
Until a few days ago, I was looking forward to the new season in the same way - but under Hughton! - with the addition of two or three really good players who would improve the quality of the team, of course, enabling us to be less backs-to-the-wall defending. Oh well, the king is dead; long live the king!

'Shocked and saddened as I was to see Chris Hughton leave '........really ?
Yes, shocked and saddened. Exactly how many of us felt - nobody thought TB would sack him, and anybody who wasn't saddened to see a wonderful manager for our club go would be in quite a small minority.

el punal

Blimey ep, you wouldn't have thought that every single word and sentiment of this had already been repeated ad finitum on here ever since GP was hired, but I suppose a new thread on the same tired old shit is always welcome. Welcome to the long hot summer NSC! Cheers and UTA. :)

Welcome to the long summer NSC? You betcha sweet ass! :drink:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It should be a lot easier now to attract the higher class of player that we need, when their agent explains to them that they will be able to express themselves through the medium of dance. (or perhaps not)
Goal and win bonuses will be easier to make a case for, for sure.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh yes.
Potty has made things more interesting already.:albion2:

Now here's the real debate. Nickname choice. "Harry" has the advantage of being literary and scaring the shit out of Jonjo Shelvey but may end up being confused with Redknapp. "Potty" on the other hand conjures up toilet humour and is ready made for The Sun should he ever get sent to the stands for abusing the fourth official. "Potty Mouthed". Oh my aching sides.

I think we should have a poll.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I am really looking forward to next season.
I don't think there will be a massive change in personnel as I think Potter has been brought in to get the best out of what we already have. I look forward to him using the academy players too as I think that may have been part of his brief - to get the income stream flowing more freely and if, by doing that ,we discover a new talent well so much the better.
I think it'll be an interesting close season.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
My excitement only stretches to who we bring in at the moment. Can’t get excited about next season until I know what the squad will be. Actually that’s bollocks I’ll be excited regardless but not until the pre season friendlies.

The hope is that these players will flourish under a less defense fixated coach and will be given the opportunity to play to their strengths. Andone, AJ and Juergen should be excited at a fresh chance. Would love to see March, Bernardo and Bissouma progress as well.

We do need 4 or 5 new players but a total overhaul would be a recipe for disaster(Fulham style)

Really really excited for the coming season.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If this new exciting expansive football goes a bit pear shaped as the season progresses, we can always bring in Big Sam, Moyes or Pullis to save the season. Worth ago I guess.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If this new exciting expansive football goes a bit pear shaped as the season progresses, we can always bring in Big Sam, Moyes or Pullis to save the season. Worth ago I guess.

You need help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I really don't see how anyone can't be excited for August.

The amount of doom and gloom around here is scary.

The list of players that won't 'make it' currently stands at:-

Ryan
Montoya
Duffy
Stephens (as usual)
Kayal
Propper (offski)
Gross
AK
Big Jurg (of course)
Ali J (booooo)
Andone
Murray (hopefully!)
The one I've forgotten.
& probably another one.
Plus the manager

I'm not naive enough to think every one of them will step up, a player or two will be found wanting.

But seemingly, according to many on here, nobody is going to 'bloom'.
Although I guess if one or two become value for money players that'll raise a fair few questions that some on here won't want to answer.

I guess some posters on here purposely throw 1 tile away when starting a 10,000 piece jigsaw because they don't want to complete it and want to watch the world burn

this-is-not-fine-005-015ff5.png

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think, what do I think? Plenty on here wouldn't care anyway :laugh:

A mixture of excitement and trepidation. I desperately want our new bloke to have a storming season, which would see him at Chelsea the following I expect! Excited to see how a new young coach pans out and hoping beyond hope that he isn't a dud at this level. Looking forward to us actually giving it a go instead of dire defensive first, middle and last. Hold judgement until the first three months are out of the way and come back here. Overall, my excitementometer is around 7.5.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Until a few days ago, I was looking forward to the new season in the same way - but under Hughton! - with the addition of two or three really good players who would improve the quality of the team, of course, enabling us to be less backs-to-the-wall defending. Oh well, the king is dead; long live the king!

Yes, shocked and saddened. Exactly how many of us felt - nobody thought TB would sack him, and anybody who wasn't saddened to see a wonderful manager for our club go would be in quite a small minority.

All of this.

Think @Icy_Gull also summed it up well, in that it depends on who we sign/lose.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m looking forward to it far more than the last 2 seasons. Even in summer 2017, I had a feeling that the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Leicester and ManC would very much enjoy playing against us. They did. With us battling relegation. We did.

I’m more optimistic this time around because I believe the club from the top downwards have learned some hard lessons, and will significantly improve our first team this summer with craft and pace.

Instead of turning up at Goodison, King Power, Stamford Bridge, Spuds, OT, Vitality (in PL games), having a 95% inkling that we’ll be outclassed, negative and lose, we will be looking to compete with a game-plan. Giving us a chance.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here