Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 3-5-2

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I wouldn’t write off Duffy if we go 3 at the back. Plenty of sides succeed with this formation with 1 or 2 ball playing/carrying centre backs. Be interesting to see if Baluta or Ben White get a chance as a right sided option. That said, Baluta, Dunk, Bernardo could be a trio who really fit Potters approach in terms of mobility and breaking through high presses.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn’t write off Duffy if we go 3 at the back. Plenty of sides succeed with this formation with 1 or 2 ball playing/carrying centre backs. Be interesting to see if Baluta or Ben White get a chance as a right sided option. That said, Baluta, Dunk, Bernardo could be a trio who really fit Potters approach in terms of mobility and breaking through high presses.

Who the feck does the clubs ONLY natural wingback make it into the back 3?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Up until this season centre back was/is his favoured position.

Odd for someone who looks so at home as wing back, and even spent part of a game as a winger.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The most regular thing I've read about Potter is that players have to get used to playing in fluid systems, and I think we have the midfield to do it and 4-2-3-1 would work for us.

Also interesting he rarely started with 4-4-1-1 which was our staple most of last season.

No it wasn’t. It was 4-3-3 almost exclusively from turn of year. This was a massive mistake by Chris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No it wasn’t. It was 4-3-3 almost exclusively from turn of year. This was a massive mistake by Chris.

Changing formation wasn't the mistake.
Expecting Murray to be a part of it was the mistake.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Changing formation wasn't the mistake.
Expecting Murray to be a part of it was the mistake.

No, not sticking with what all the players knew (4-4-1-1) was a massive mistake by Mr Defensive. Not buying in a Gross competitor was another big boo boo by Chris.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Muzza kept us up again. Show some respect.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Muzza kept us up again. Show some respect.

No he didn't.

A squad of 25 players, a manager plus his coaching staff and crystal palace kept us up, show some intelligence.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Fair point, but CH did revert back to 4-4-1-1 when we needed to try and eek out points at the end of the season, Wolves and Arsenal.

The persistence with 4-3-3 didn't help, but it looks like the players we have or sign will have to be comfortable in multiple formations.

It must be a good thing for us if the opposition manager has no idea how we will line up each game. How to they plan for that? And then if they do work it out, Potter can shuffle it around and try and exploit a weakness he's identified.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The persistence with 4-3-3 didn't help, but it looks like the players we have or sign will have to be comfortable in multiple formations.
With what has to be the ultimate straw clutch.
Last week I did offer up the idea that being boot camp drilled in the dark arts of defending could, in the long run, actually be a huge benefit to the likes of Ali, Big Jurg and Andone, and therefore the Albion.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
No he didn't.

A squad of 25 players, a manager plus his coaching staff and crystal palace kept us up, show some intelligence.

Tell you what, I’ll concede Double D also helped... I refuse to acknowledge any contribution by Pal@rse... the manager was a liability...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Fair point, but CH did revert back to 4-4-1-1 when we needed to try and eek out points at the end of the season, Wolves and Arsenal.

It must be a good thing for us if the opposition manager has no idea how we will line up each game. How to they plan for that? And then if they do work it out, Potter can shuffle it around and try and exploit a weakness he's identified.

Agreed... cannot wait... although worried some of our players will struggle with a multitude of formations...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tell you what, I’ll concede Double D also helped... I refuse to acknowledge any contribution by Pal@rse... the manager was a liability...

You don't believe the 6 points they gift wrapped for us and the 3 they took from Cardiff had any relevance to the Albion's 'survival'

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
You don't believe the 6 points they gift wrapped for us and the 3 they took from Cardiff had any relevance to the Albion's 'survival'

Be fair... it was an absolute ‘mare cheering them on to victory against Baaadiff... I have showered more than once since then, but still feel dirty... now you are asking me to rekindle the chance of permanent psychological damage by crediting the Scummiest club in Christendom... I won’t do it... you cannot make me do it...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Be fair... it was an absolute ‘mare cheering them on to victory against Baaadiff... I have showered more than once since then, but still feel dirty... now you are asking me to rekindle the chance of permanent psychological damage by crediting the Scummiest club in Christendom... I won’t do it... you cannot make me do it...

That's fair enough but it doesn't stop the fact it's true.

The Albion were lucky palace were so so shite at the AMEX.
The Albion were lucky palace were so so shite at Selhurst, they couldn't even play on a windy day"
(Murray's goal must have been the sweetest struck shot of the season)
The Albion were lucky palace stepped up v Cardiff.

9 points - thank you palace.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
That's fair enough but it doesn't stop the fact it's true.

The Albion were lucky palace were so so shite at the AMEX.
The Albion were lucky palace were so so shite at Selhurst, they couldn't even play on a windy day"
(Murray's goal must have been the sweetest struck shot of the season)
The Albion were lucky palace stepped up v Cardiff.

9 points - thank you palace.

The truth hurts...

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

We played a proper 433 about 3 times this year. In reality, we played a 451 for the majority of the second half of the season. No one should be claiming we had 3 playing up top when our wide men spent the majority of their time as auxiliary wing backs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here