Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Michael Burgess on his way

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Having terminated Wright's involvement in red ball cricket, Sussex have announced that Michael Burgess is to join Warwickshire. Initially on loan for the rest of the season, but with a view to move permanently.

That leaves the team with just two batsmen who didn't play this week - Evans and Rawlins - let's hope they don't have any injuries. Finch is a lucky boy, he must be dangerously close to the chop.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Let’s hope he’s making way for a big signing

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
The Luke Wright thing still seems odd. An experienced player with a career average of almost 40. Fair enough to give the kids a go, but you also need some solidity in the batting lineup.

Problem for Burgess was that he wasn't going to get the gloves ahead of Brown. At Warks he may get more opportunities.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Problem for Burgess was that he wasn't going to get the gloves ahead of Brown. At Warks he may get more opportunities.

He's a shocking keeper though. Brown's no great shakes but he's streets ahead of Burgess behind the stumps.

Burgess is the worst I've seen at Sussex since Alan Mansell

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He's a shocking keeper though. Brown's no great shakes but he's streets ahead of Burgess behind the stumps.

Burgess is the worst I've seen at Sussex since Alan Mansell

What about that Irish lad we had a few years ago - Patterson ? Testing your memory there gwylan.
Shaun humphries was one of the finest out and out keepers we had

As for burgess - what a great move for him. He had his moments for us, and like wright has been unlucky.
I’m baffled as to how it’s got to the point that our batting is this thin .

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
What about that Irish lad we had a few years ago - Patterson ? Testing your memory there gwylan.
Shaun humphries was one of the finest out and out keepers we had

As for burgess - what a great move for him. He had his moments for us, and like wright has been unlucky.
I’m baffled as to how it’s got to the point that our batting is this thin .

Andrew Patterson? If I recall right, he was only at Sussex for one season about twenty years ago and I honestly don't remember him playing. He was from Belfast though.

Are you thinking of Calum Jackson? Think he was seen as a successor to Andy Hodd but Brown ultimately got the nod.

Can't say I've seen a better keeper than Hodd at Sussex. Watching him behind the stumps was a masterclass in economy and anticipation.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can't recall Patterson at all. You're right about Hodd, he was a good keeper but Prior and Brown were both ahead of him in the queue.

Best Sussex wicket keeper I've seen is Sarah Taylor. I reckon that if she hadn't had her well documented problems, she may well have been the first woman to play county cricket. She's unbelievably good behind the stumps

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Andrew Patterson? If I recall right, he was only at Sussex for one season about twenty years ago and I honestly don't remember him playing. He was from Belfast though.

Are you thinking of Calum Jackson? Think he was seen as a successor to Andy Hodd but Brown ultimately got the nod.

Can't say I've seen a better keeper than Hodd at Sussex. Watching him behind the stumps was a masterclass in economy and anticipation.

Good knowledge . There was nick Wilton as well. Did well as a teenager but never made it

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Good knowledge . There was nick Wilton as well. Did well as a teenager but never made it

Yes, Nick Wilton and Shaun Humphries competed for the W/K gloves after the retirement of Moores in early 1998. Wilton was seen as the superior batsman and Humphries left at the end of 2000 (which I think is the season Patterson was there also). The emergence of first Tim Ambrose and then Matt Prior spelt the end for him.

From a News article on the Sussex CCC site, it appears he (Wilton) is now Brand Manager for Gray Nicolls

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
All and everything Cricket should be banned from NSC

There is a prefix for Cricket, prefixes exist so you are able to filter types of posts you have no interest in or business posting on.

Cricket will always be welcome on the board, seeing as it's cricket season, the Sharks get going in T20 and the small matter of the world cup now is the time to open your mind.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
There is a prefix for Cricket, prefixes exist so you are able to filter types of posts you have no interest in or business posting on.

Cricket will always be welcome on the board, seeing as it's cricket season, the Sharks get going in T20 and the small matter of the world cup now is the time to open your mind.

:moo:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Does he play left back? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills