• Absolutely anyone at all other than Boris Johnson

Votes: 354 76.8%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just think of it Trump and Johnson but i cant think of anybody who would be a strong candidate so it might have to be Mr Farage.

Highly unlikely that Mr Farage would somehow get the gig, remember the little problem he has of simply getting elected as an MP.... is it 6 or 7 attempts now ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Its really hard to contemplate voting Conservative at the moment but if that's what it takes to keep Corbyn out of power then I'd have to. If Boris Johnson would make the most people possible vote to keep Corbyn out then I hope its him. Lesser of 2 evils just shows the state of our politics at the moment.
It's mental - Labour could would win with anyone else. Ok, not with Abbott, but apart from her, practically anyone.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Interesting that in the first round of interviews most of the candidates talk excitedly about 'uniting the party'. Might be a bit more impressive to talk about 'uniting the country' although perhaps that's a rather forlorn hope. Rory Stewart has no hope whatever but at least seems to see beyond the narrowly partisan. For those of us who loathe the Troy Party the main fun is to be had in watching them implode; 'a circular firing squad'.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Interesting that in the first round of interviews most of the candidates talk excitedly about 'uniting the party'. Might be a bit more impressive to talk about 'uniting the country' although perhaps that's a rather forlorn hope. Rory Stewart has no hope whatever but at least seems to see beyond the narrowly partisan. For those of us who loathe the Troy Party the main fun is to be had in watching them implode; 'a circular firing squad'.

Caught Rory Stewart's live interview on Sky yesterday lunchtime. Found it pretty impressive, mainly by being refreshingly lacking in the mealy-mouthed non-answering of questions that we've come to expect as standard. Interesting outsider and definitely one for the future.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's mental - Labour could would win with anyone else. Ok, not with Abbott, but apart from her, practically anyone.

It would seem that way, however, whoever is leader of the Labour party, they will get actively smeared by the non-dom press barons which set the agenda. Think back to the so many previous leaders who were targeted, Foot, Kinnock, Milliband and now Corbyn.

Everyone said John Smith would have made one of the best Labour Prime Ministers ever had he not suffered a fatal heart attack after just a couple of years leading the opposition but, had it seemed likely that he could win an election, all the usual tactics to smear and undermine him would have been rolled out thanks to the Press.

Our standards are easily twisted towards the alleged fiscal propriety of the Conservatives despite an ongoing assault on our infrastructure and social needs. One small example " Corbyn is a terrorist because he talked to the IRA ", however, the Tory government had lines of communication with the IRA despite denying that they would " Ever talk to Terrorists " More recently the journalist Jamal Khashoggi was brutally murdered in the Saudi embassy in Turkey, did Mrs May cut all ties with them and condemn the Saudi regime ? no, of course not as the interests of big business take priority over moral codes when there is big money to be made. But, she will happily go and speak to a regime that would treat her as a second class citizen had she been born Saudi Arabian ….. marvellous double standards.

Any leader of the Labour Party would have to be a genuine saint in order to have any chance of election and as we all know, things would be made up and we'd all fall for it again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It would seem that way, however, whoever is leader of the Labour party, they will get actively smeared by the non-dom press barons which set the agenda. Think back to the so many previous leaders who were targeted, Foot, Kinnock, Milliband and now Corbyn.

Everyone said John Smith would have made one of the best Labour Prime Ministers ever had he not suffered a fatal heart attack after just a couple of years leading the opposition but, had it seemed likely that he could win an election, all the usual tactics to smear and undermine him would have been rolled out thanks to the Press.

Our standards are easily twisted towards the alleged fiscal propriety of the Conservatives despite an ongoing assault on our infrastructure and social needs. One small example " Corbyn is a terrorist because he talked to the IRA ", however, the Tory government had lines of communication with the IRA despite denying that they would " Ever talk to Terrorists " More recently the journalist Jamal Khashoggi was brutally murdered in the Saudi embassy in Turkey, did Mrs May cut all ties with them and condemn the Saudi regime ? no, of course not as the interests of big business take priority over moral codes when there is big money to be made. But, she will happily go and speak to a regime that would treat her as a second class citizen had she been born Saudi Arabian ….. marvellous double standards.

Any leader of the Labour Party would have to be a genuine saint in order to have any chance of election and as we all know, things would be made up and we'd all fall for it again.

I'd like to see Keir Starmer installed as Labour leader. Intelligent decent guy, no pushover, comes without any Corbynista-type baggage so far as I can see. The Tory press barons would have their work cut out trying to find any mud to make stick there, tho no doubt they would give it a good go. Starmer IN!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
One small example " Corbyn is a terrorist because he talked to the IRA ", however, the Tory government had lines of communication with the IRA despite denying that they would " Ever talk to Terrorists "
The Tories talked to the IRA because they were in government, and responsible for attempting to end the violence. The criticism of Corbyn is that he sympathises with the IRA.

More recently the journalist Jamal Khashoggi was brutally murdered in the Saudi embassy in Turkey, did Mrs May cut all ties with them and condemn the Saudi regime ? no, of course not as the interests of big business take priority over moral codes when there is big money to be made.
Yes. It's not nice, but if we want our country to have any prosperity, we have to work with other countries despite their low standards. The Saudi's murdered someone, which is of course appalling, but do you think the likes of China are any better? What's that got to do with Corbyn anyway?

But, she will happily go and speak to a regime that would treat her as a second class citizen had she been born Saudi Arabian ….. marvellous double standards.
It sounds like you wouldn't trade with most countries in the world.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'd like to see Keir Starmer installed as Labour leader. Intelligent decent guy, no pushover, comes without any Corbynista-type baggage so far as I can see. The Tory press barons would have their work cut out trying to find any mud to make stick there, tho no doubt they would give it a good go. Starmer IN!

not sure left enough for the unions and membership. too "blairite", blue labour etc. could probably win an election for exactly those reasons.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Not Mr Tony, though. The one good one among the idiots.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Momentum run the constituencies so it will never happen till jezza resigns or more likely dies of old age in 20-30 years.

He is the undesputed and immutable leader of Lilliput.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The idea that anyone apart from Corbyn as Labour leader would win the election is totally naive.

As soon as corbyn's successor is elected the media will be full of the usual "cannot be trusted" rhetoric that accompanies every Labour leader.
There is a reason that the tories stay in power. it has nothing to do with the relative abilities of either party's politicians.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

This is the problem, the next Tory leader will be selected by the Tory party members, so they are only talking to them, and promising what they want, hence the shift to hard line Brexit and leaving on WTO if no improvement in May's deal.

All of which won't bring the country together, but will just deepen the divide.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is the problem, the next Tory leader will be selected by the Tory party members, so they are only talking to them, and promising what they want, hence the shift to hard line Brexit and leaving on WTO if no improvement in May's deal.

And a no deal Brexit will just set Tory against Tory. When you see a cabinet minister - a cabinet minister! - saying that he could see himself voting against his own prime minister in a no confidence vote, you know it's hopeless. They're damned whatever they do.

I've been against a second referendum ever since it was mooted, I thought the first one was flawed, I couldn't see a second one helping, but I now can't see any other way out of this mess.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill

I met him recently - nice bloke, no airs & graces and really down to earth.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

It’s scary that my and our country’s next Prime Minister will be elected by a relative handful of people - 50% of them over 65

Not really democracy is it

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Tories talked to the IRA because they were in government, and responsible for attempting to end the violence. The criticism of Corbyn is that he sympathises with the IRA.

Yes. It's not nice, but if we want our country to have any prosperity, we have to work with other countries despite their low standards. The Saudi's murdered someone, which is of course appalling, but do you think the likes of China are any better? What's that got to do with Corbyn anyway?

It sounds like you wouldn't trade with most countries in the world.

Just pointing out the double standards.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Momentum run the constituencies so it will never happen till jezza resigns or more likely dies of old age in 20-30 years.

He is the undesputed and immutable leader of Lilliput.

Disagree. Corbyn will be discarded earlydoors if the party wishes to retain any level of credibility whatsoever. Nobody even knows whether he's pro or anti Brexit. Which seems to be the only game in town tho he says all the right things about, say, social inequality, which is Labour's traditional moral high ground. All of it sadly worthless tho without a clear stance on f***ing Brexit

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
And a no deal Brexit will just set Tory against Tory. When you see a cabinet minister - a cabinet minister! - saying that he could see himself voting against his own prime minister in a no confidence vote, you know it's hopeless. They're damned whatever they do.

I've been against a second referendum ever since it was mooted, I thought the first one was flawed, I couldn't see a second one helping, but I now can't see any other way out of this mess.

Hammond won't be Chancellor when a new leader is installed, so he won't be a cabinet minister voting against against his leader

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Disagree. Corbyn will be discarded earlydoors if the party wishes to retain any level of credibility whatsoever. Nobody even knows whether he's pro or anti Brexit. Which seems to be the only game in town tho he says all the right things about, say, social inequality, which is Labour's traditional moral high ground. All of it sadly worthless tho without a clear stance on f***ing Brexit

You honestly think someone will mount a leadership challenge? And will win? Absolutely no chance, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here