Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Louise Redknapp ordered to appear in court after 'running a red light'

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Question for Stat Brother or someone who knows.
Driving along Lewes Road, Brighton, a bendy bus may start its journey through the lights on a green but by the time the end of the bus goes through the light is on red. If I stick beside the rear half of the bus and cross the line ahead of the bus, although technically I've run a red, can I get done for it as I'm ahead of the bus.
My point being that the lights in front of B&Q need to have longer on amber to allow these monsters to get through.

Yes.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And you're seeing loads of cyclists doing over 20mph undertaking cars...

They've not got a car behind with matching livery to their kit with a load of spare bikes on top have they? ???

:rolleyes:

No, that's not what I said at all. You suggested there would be no overtaking except of 'slow moving traffic', which you pegged as anything 'below 20mph'. I was just pointing out that there are lots of urban roads where 'below 20mph' is the safe limit.

'Proper' cyclists really are a funny breed. So defensive. If someone states 'some car drivers are shit', then everyone, including all the other car drivers will agree, and recount their encounters with shit drivers.

Suggest that 'some cyclists are shit', and the proper cyclists grab their pitchforks and rush out to light the beacons.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Joking aside, pedestrians staring at their phones with their ear pods in....danger to everyone! :lolol:

This is most certainly true and may cause a bump but no significant harm. Cyclists riding at speed on the pavements is a different story though. A young child or frail senior could be seriously injured (or worse) by these morons.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
:rolleyes:

No, that's not what I said at all. You suggested there would be no overtaking except of 'slow moving traffic', which you pegged as anything 'below 20mph'. I was just pointing out that there are lots of urban roads where 'below 20mph' is the safe limit.

'Proper' cyclists really are a funny breed. So defensive. If someone states 'some car drivers are shit', then everyone, including all the other car drivers will agree, and recount their encounters with shit drivers.

Suggest that 'some cyclists are shit', and the proper cyclists grab their pitchforks and rush out to light the beacons.

I'll tell you why cyclists in general are so defensive...

The general irritation that pervades the media, social media toward cyclists leads to anger and aggression from drivers toward cyclists on the road. They take risks that could kill me. Some of the gaps drivers leave, overtaking when unsafe, it's all linked. Simple as that.

So yeah, when it comes to it, the balance of the odd cyclists being a dick, whether jumping a light, undertaking is actually rarely going to lead to them hurting anyone else but themselves. Someone in a car being a dick has the capacity to kill multiple people.

The size of frustration at cyclists on our roads is so out of proportion with the danger posed by drivers on their phones, not indicating, poor driving, speeding, jumping lights etc. etc. as to make you wonder whether our transport would be transformed if we put all our energy into changing the driving culture of motor vehicles. As with [MENTION=22135]rippleman[/MENTION]'s post above, like many others he will be more annoyed at a bike on a pavement, than a vehicle doing 40 in a 30, a driver on their phone etc. etc. Totally out of proportion with the danger posed.

So yeah, I do light the beacons, because the 'some cyclists are shit' mentality has led to a culture of drivers hating cyclists. It's a problem. Being held up for an extra 20 seconds shouldn't be a cause of the hostility a vulnerable road user faces on our roads.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is most certainly true and may cause a bump but no significant harm. Cyclists riding at speed on the pavements is a different story though. A young child or frail senior could be seriously injured (or worse) by these morons.

From 2012 to 2016, 2,120 pedestrians were killed by a vehicle in Britain—0.8% of these involved a bicycle.

You obviously know where to focus the attention for improved road safety to everyone using our roads or pavements. :thumbsup:

I look forward to your many contributions to threads criticising drivers for speeding, jumping lights, using phones etc. I must of missed all the previous ones given your obvious concern for vulnerable road users.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'll tell you why cyclists in general are so defensive...

The general irritation that pervades the media, social media toward cyclists leads to anger and aggression from drivers toward cyclists on the road. They take risks that could kill me. Some of the gaps drivers leave, overtaking when unsafe, it's all linked. Simple as that.

So yeah, when it comes to it, the balance of the odd cyclists being a dick, whether jumping a light, undertaking is actually rarely going to lead to them hurting anyone else but themselves. Someone in a car being a dick has the capacity to kill multiple people.

The size of frustration at cyclists on our roads is so out of proportion with the danger posed by drivers on their phones, not indicating, poor driving, speeding, jumping lights etc. etc. as to make you wonder whether our transport would be transformed if we put all our energy into changing the driving culture of motor vehicles. As with [MENTION=22135]rippleman[/MENTION]'s post above, like many others he will be more annoyed at a bike on a pavement, than a vehicle doing 40 in a 30, a driver on their phone etc. etc. Totally out of proportion with the danger posed.

So yeah, I do light the beacons, because the 'some cyclists are shit' mentality has led to a culture of drivers hating cyclists. It's a problem. Being held up for an extra 20 seconds shouldn't be a cause of the hostility a vulnerable road user faces on our roads.

Sorry - I understand all of that (as stated, I'm a cyclist as well as a motorist), but your reflex defense mechanisms are still ridiculous. Some cyclists really are shit / dangerous / inconsiderate. Railing against that simple statement of fact, is still weird.

We all know and accept that plenty of car drivers are shit / dangerous / inconsiderate. It isn't a competition.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I do wonder if part of the issue with motorists seemingly hating cyclists is that cyclists always look dour and aloof, and those that don't cycle probably don't realise that this is normally because they're ****ing knackered, rather than anything else.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
From 2012 to 2016, 2,120 pedestrians were killed by a vehicle in Britain—0.8% of these involved a bicycle.

You obviously know where to focus the attention for improved road safety to everyone using our roads or pavements. :thumbsup:

I look forward to your many contributions to threads criticising drivers for speeding, jumping lights, using phones etc. I must of missed all the previous ones given your obvious concern for vulnerable road users.

Cough.....you’ve mentioned drivers using phones quite a few times ....I’ve witnessed cyclists likewise.

Turning to motorcyclists ...now they are the ones (with my drivers hat on) that scare me.

Ps I havnt anything against cyclists long as they play by the same rules as the rest of us...indeed on a Sunday I am one as I try and avoid the tin can

SAC

May 21, 2014
Sorry - I understand all of that (as stated, I'm a cyclist as well as a motorist), but your reflex defense mechanisms are still ridiculous. Some cyclists really are shit / dangerous / inconsiderate. Railing against that simple statement of fact, is still weird.

We all know and accept that plenty of car drivers are shit / dangerous / inconsiderate. It isn't a competition.

I think the problem is that the shit cyclists regularly get discussed and the shit drivers don't.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cough.....you’ve mentioned drivers using phones quite a few times ....I’ve witnessed cyclists likewise.

Turning to motorcyclists ...now they are the ones (with my drivers hat on) that scare me.

Ps I havnt anything against cyclists long as they play by the same rules as the rest of us...indeed on a Sunday I am one as I try and avoid the tin can

But you are stating they are!? They're obeying and breaking the same rules vehicle drivers do....

Only difference is drivers cause a gazillion more deaths and accidents than cyclists.

Maybe we need to focus on the drivers a bit more?

Or not, maybe you see a cyclist being a moron on their phone the same as you do a motorist. I don't, I see a) a moron riding their bike on their phone b) someone in a vehicle at speed who is going to kill someone or multiple people if they carry on doing that.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
But you are stating they are!? They're obeying and breaking the same rules vehicle drivers do....

Only difference is drivers cause a gazillion more deaths and accidents than cyclists.

Maybe we need to focus on the drivers a bit more?

Or not, maybe you see a cyclist being a moron on their phone the same as you do a motorist. I don't, I see a) a moron riding their bike on their phone b) someone in a vehicle at speed who is going to kill someone or multiple people if they carry on doing that.

No I’m not....I’m saying that I don’t have a problem as long as they play by the same rules....as I don’t have a problem with drivers as long as they play by the rules.
As regards to mobile phones....they shouldn’t be used no matter what speed or vehicle ..indeed it’s not always about speed ...concentration comes into it as well!

Also I don’t really think you should be tarring everyone with the same brush...I don’t sit in my van thinking ...oh that’s a poor cyclist etc......indeed I’m the one who gets glared out because I stick to speed limits.....and I drive a van and we all know how van drivers are stereotyped

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well I was thinking that myself.....can’t think there’s a poster representing drivers who persistently has a go at drivers.

Cyclists are discussed a bit on here - almost always in threads like this very one, started BY paranoid cyclists having a pop at their imaginary demonisation.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What is your point? :shrug:

Is there anyone here pretending that bad drivers don't break rules?

The point highlighted in the Danish report is cycle offenses are visable to all.
Equal motoring offenses arent.

If all cars lit up every time they were speeding or the drivers eyes werent on the road, then motorist would realise they arent in any position to do the traditional whataboutary.

My point expanding on from that is that the 'minor traffic infringements' when carried out by a car are far more serious than those on bicycles.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cyclists are discussed a bit on here - almost always in threads like this very one, started BY paranoid cyclists having a pop at their imaginary demonisation.

Really.

What was your first post hans, about the danger and punishment of a driver running a red light, or straight onto cyclists?

Have you even mentioned the actual crime the thread alludes to?

Has anyone actually condemned the car driver running the red light, or any car drivers for that matter?

Paranoid you say...

Really....

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Really.

What was your first post hans, about the danger and punishment of a driver running a red light, or straight onto cyclists?

Have you even mentioned the actual crime the thread alludes to?

Has anyone actually condemned the car driver running the red light, or any car drivers for that matter?

Paranoid you say...

Really....

In fairness I think most of us are taken aback by SB admitting that he’s an avid reader of Hello mag

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here