Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Louise Redknapp ordered to appear in court after 'running a red light'

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's always fun when the cycling discussions roll around again.

For what it's worth, I don't go through red lights with the exception of lights which won't change just because I'm there - for example the junction down the road from the Amex heading under the overpass. I cycled past the stadium yesterday, went under the little bridge as if leaving the car park and the junction which takes you though to Stanmer Park in one direction, or toward Lewes Road if you hang a left - those lights don't change if only a cyclist is there. I go through those if it's clear in all directions, but I wouldn't mug off a red light on Lewes Road, for example. I'm a very confident cyclist in the main, I'm not timid and you need to be confident to be on the road.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In fairness I think most of us are taken aback by SB admitting that he’s an avid reader of Hello mag

The fact that I had my choice of 'news outlets' coughed up by the google search and still went with Hello Magazine suggests this might, just might, not be news at all. :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll tell you why cyclists in general are so defensive...

The general irritation that pervades the media, social media toward cyclists leads to anger and aggression from drivers toward cyclists on the road. They take risks that could kill me. Some of the gaps drivers leave, overtaking when unsafe, it's all linked. Simple as that.

So yeah, when it comes to it, the balance of the odd cyclists being a dick, whether jumping a light, undertaking is actually rarely going to lead to them hurting anyone else but themselves. Someone in a car being a dick has the capacity to kill multiple people.

The size of frustration at cyclists on our roads is so out of proportion with the danger posed by drivers on their phones, not indicating, poor driving, speeding, jumping lights etc. etc. as to make you wonder whether our transport would be transformed if we put all our energy into changing the driving culture of motor vehicles. As with [MENTION=22135]rippleman[/MENTION]'s post above, like many others he will be more annoyed at a bike on a pavement, than a vehicle doing 40 in a 30, a driver on their phone etc. etc. Totally out of proportion with the danger posed.

So yeah, I do light the beacons, because the 'some cyclists are shit' mentality has led to a culture of drivers hating cyclists. It's a problem. Being held up for an extra 20 seconds shouldn't be a cause of the hostility a vulnerable road user faces on our roads.

Oh blimey Bold steal all the thread, why don't you. :kiss:

Having just driven back from Worthing, with this thread in mind:-

I caught myself speeding 3 times. (twice driving with the flow, once all my own work)
I was a filthy creep 3 times.
I am sure one tyre is too flat and needs inflating.
I finally noticed, in the rear view mirror, my hair looks great today.

If my car were fitted with a 'minor infraction' klaxon instead of being an all but invisible one tonne death box, I'd be guilty of noise pollution as well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really.

What was your first post hans, about the danger and punishment of a driver running a red light, or straight onto cyclists?

Have you even mentioned the actual crime the thread alludes to?

Has anyone actually condemned the car driver running the red light, or any car drivers for that matter?

Paranoid you say...

Really....

1. The poster above was suggesting that cyclists' behaviour is a regular topic of discussion. I simply pointed out that it is - generally in threads like this one, started BY cyclists with the sole intention of having a dig at some supposed imbalance in attitudes.

2. The actual story wasn't worthy of comment. A dangerous / inconsiderate road user, is caught breaking a law, and is rightly punished for it.

3. My response was based on Stat's addition to it - the 5% suggestion. 90% of car drivers probably transgress with various degrees of seriousness and frequency. Cyclists on the whole, far less seriously, and almost certainly less frequently. But the 5% is demonstrably utter nonsense.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
1. The poster above was suggesting that cyclists' behaviour is a regular topic of discussion. I simply pointed out that it is - generally in threads like this one, started BY cyclists with the sole intention of having a dig at some supposed imbalance in attitudes.

2. The actual story wasn't worthy of comment. A dangerous / inconsiderate road user, is caught breaking a law, and is rightly punished for it.

3. My response was based on Stat's addition to it - the 5% suggestion. 90% of car drivers probably transgress with various degrees of seriousness and frequency. Cyclists on the whole, far less seriously, and almost certainly less frequently. But the 5% is demonstrably utter nonsense.

2. Is it not? It's not worth any discussion on the severity of the punishment on what could happen as a result of jumping a red light in a vehicle? No comment on this has to be stopped, that our driving habits need an overhaul? That fines for red lights, mobile phone use, drink driving etc. etc. need reviewing? Nothing.

You want to focus on your subjective opinion that a 5% figure in a report in Denmark is wrong. That is your focus in all of this.

And you're advocating there is no imbalance at all.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
2. Is it not? It's not worth any discussion on the severity of the punishment on what could happen as a result of jumping a red light in a vehicle? No comment on this has to be stopped, that our driving habits need an overhaul? That fines for red lights, mobile phone use, drink driving etc. etc. need reviewing? Nothing.

You want to focus on your subjective opinion that a 5% figure in a report in Denmark is wrong. That is your focus in all of this.

And you're advocating there is no imbalance at all.

Hang on.

If you want a discussion about driving standards, I'm all for it. There have been many, many on here in the past, and shall be in the future. On speeding (generally off the back of somebody crying over a deserved ticket), on mobile phone use (generally universally condemned), on how to enter and exit a roundabout (nobody can agree), and various other specific points.

Stat didn't post his story to discuss driving standards, though. You'd be an idiot to think that, and you're clearly not an idiot.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hang on.

If you want a discussion about driving standards, I'm all for it. There have been many, many on here in the past, and shall be in the future. On speeding (generally off the back of somebody crying over a deserved ticket), on mobile phone use (generally universally condemned), on how to enter and exit a roundabout (nobody can agree), and various other specific points.

Stat didn't post his story to discuss driving standards, though. You'd be an idiot to think that, and you're clearly not an idiot.

No, he set the bait, which many have taken, including me. It was bait nevertheless and evidence that we'll always end up on the cyclists and not the drivers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hang on.

I posted it to get the the Danish research, which on it's own was pretty flimsy.
But it's core point, even though you missed it, I thought was pretty obvious.

Cyclists are seen 'breaking the law', drivers aren't.

Bringing that to the fore with Louise means this thread only now has one disappointment...

...Still no sign of the Louise Nurding Sandtex pic. :down:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
To get the thread vaguely back on topic the Redknapps' youngest son plays for Chelsea academy. Someone I know that watched him play said he was easily the worst player on the pitch and was clearly in the team as a favour to his dad. Poor lad. Got to a lot to live up to.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm taken aback that a Louise Redknapp thread on NSC has reached 5 pages and nobody has posted 'that' picture yet.

Exactly. I thought this would be all about Louise's jubblies. Instead it's about cycling. I tell you what, [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], you're no [MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION]

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exactly. I thought this would be all about Louise's jubblies. Instead it's about cycling. I tell you what, [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], you're no [MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION]

A bit like saying:-

'Hey Stat you're no Dion Dublin presenting Homes Under the Hammer'.

[tweet]1125330982767341568[/tweet]

To be even mentioned in the same breath as the greatest all time poster is an honour and privilege, for which I thank you enormously.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Sorry, I just couldn't help myself...

attachment.php

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To get the thread vaguely back on topic the Redknapps' youngest son plays for Chelsea academy. Someone I know that watched him play said he was easily the worst player on the pitch and was clearly in the team as a favour to his dad. Poor lad. Got to a lot to live up to.

My lad has refereed a couple of Saints youth matches in the past, featuring Pochetino's (then) 13 year old son. He was very obviously afforded the opportunity on grounds beyond pure merit, shall we say.

He's still now, turning out for Spurs' U18 side, and featured in the historic first ever match at the new Lane.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Question for the Lycra mamils...why do you feel the need to go out in a pack on busy roads kitted up like (but in no way near such levels of fitness however much you kid yourself) professionals, driven by this apparent aggressive ‘gotta-get-there-fast’ silo mentality? Why not just go for a bike ride, alone, enjoy the countryside, take it easy and not ‘dress up’ (because you do look stupid, trust me) like the do in other countries? I see cyclists in other countries and they’re just normal people, chilled and relaxed on normal bikes at normal speeds in normal clothes just going from A to B; rather than this head down, helmet on, thundercats ‘gotta get there’ at any cost pedalling approach in the UK. Only here do cyclists look like frustrated fighter pilots in search of war. It’s frankly a bit weird. And that’s before you notice the 15 car queue behind... ;)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Question for the Lycra mamils...why do you feel the need to go out in a pack on busy roads kitted up like (but in no way near such levels of fitness however much you kid yourself) professionals, driven by this apparent aggressive ‘gotta-get-there-fast’ silo mentality? Why not just go for a bike ride, alone, enjoy the countryside, take it easy and not ‘dress up’ (because you do look stupid, trust me) like the do in other countries? I see cyclists in other countries and they’re just normal people, chilled and relaxed on normal bikes at normal speeds in normal clothes just going from A to B; rather than this head down, helmet on, thundercats ‘gotta get there’ at any cost pedalling approach in the UK. Only here do cyclists look like frustrated fighter pilots in search of war. It’s frankly a bit weird. And that’s before you notice the 15 car queue behind... ;)

I'm not one of the types you're aiming this at but you're conflating 2 very different sets of cyclists. There are plenty of people that use bikes as transport without getting all kitted out. They are just using it as transport to get from A to B. The type of cyclists you seem to dislike are those doing it for sport and are often out on 50 mile or longer rides. Having the right kit makes that easier and more comfortable. There are also plenty of people all over the world (and Europe especially) that ride bikes for sport and exercise and get fully kitted up just as there are plenty of British people that ride bikes without getting kitted up.

Really what you've done is like confusing someone running for a bus with Mo Farah as they are both running.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not one of the types you're aiming this at but you're conflating 2 very different sets of cyclists. There are plenty of people that use bikes as transport without getting all kitted out. They are just using it as transport to get from A to B. The type of cyclists you seem to dislike are those doing it for sport and are often out on 50 mile or longer rides. Having the right kit makes that easier and more comfortable. There are also plenty of people all over the world (and Europe especially) that ride bikes for sport and exercise and get fully kitted up just as there are plenty of British people that ride bikes without getting kitted up.

Really what you've done is like confusing someone running for a bus with Mo Farah as they are both running.

I genuinely surprised anybody bothered to answer that nonsense.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here