Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Louise Redknapp ordered to appear in court after 'running a red light'

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In a car :ohmy: I didn't think that was even possible.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/2019052373419/louise-redknapp-court-running-red-light/

Most drivers receive a £100 fine and three points on their licence if they are caught driving through a red light. If they fail to respond or provide the details of the driver, they could be prosecuted and issued with a £1,000 fine and six penalty points.

You know it's a highbrow news story when the best article to take it from, for my own credibility, is Hello Magazine. :lolol:

A new study from the Danish Road Directorate shows:
- Less than 5% of cyclists break the law (but easy to notice for everyone)
Other studies show that:
- 2/3 of drivers break the law (most often by speeding, harder to notice)

Tallene er tydelige: Rygterne om cyklister som lovløse banditter er stærkt overdrevne
En storskala-undersøgelse viser, at lidt under fem procent af cyklisterne overtræder færdselsloven...

https://politiken.dk/indland/art718...-er-stærkt-overdrevne?shareToken=0AfdbgAACQSg

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
five seconds of my life, i'll never get back

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Question for Stat Brother or someone who knows.
Driving along Lewes Road, Brighton, a bendy bus may start its journey through the lights on a green but by the time the end of the bus goes through the light is on red. If I stick beside the rear half of the bus and cross the line ahead of the bus, although technically I've run a red, can I get done for it as I'm ahead of the bus.
My point being that the lights in front of B&Q need to have longer on amber to allow these monsters to get through.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In a car :ohmy: I didn't think that was even possible.

I watched a sci-fi film the other day where a car driver was automatically fined if they didn't indicate.

If that is to be the future, a lot of the German manufacturers are going to actually have to start putting them in as standard.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
A new study from the Danish Road Directorate shows:
- Less than 5% of cyclists break the law (but easy to notice for everyone)

That may be the case in Denmark but it certainly isn't here. London had got a lot better but since the increase in popularity of services like Uber Eats and Deliveroo its as bad as it ever was.

Building work going on next to my office so the road is shut, the pathway to get through is wide enough for a pedestrian walking each way. Massive signs at both ends saying cyclists dismount maybe 1 in 50 does. Worryingly there is a school nearby and the kids and their parents all flaunt this.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That may be the case in Denmark but it certainly isn't here. London had got a lot better but since the increase in popularity of services like Uber Eats and Deliveroo its as bad as it ever was.

Building work going on next to my office so the road is shut, the pathway to get through is wide enough for a pedestrian walking each way. Massive signs at both ends saying cyclists dismount maybe 1 in 50 does. Worryingly there is a school nearby and the kids and their parents all flaunt this.

Indeed.

I'm not anti-cyclist (I AM a cyclist, as well as a motorist) but for our resident lycra-clad cheerleader to pretend that this 5% figure is remotely relevant here, is nonsense. Even quite reasonable cyclists tend to have a fairly relaxed approach to rules - whether that be mounting the pavement 'just' for a couple of yards to get round an obstruction / set of lights, or passing traffic on the inside, etc. Myself included.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Indeed.

I'm not anti-cyclist (I AM a cyclist, as well as a motorist) but for our resident lycra-clad cheerleader to pretend that this 5% figure is remotely relevant here, is nonsense. Even quite reasonable cyclists tend to have a fairly relaxed approach to rules - whether that be mounting the pavement 'just' for a couple of yards to get round an obstruction / set of lights, or passing traffic on the inside, etc. Myself included.

As do motorists, of which I'm one esp when it comes to speeding, jumping red lights, looking at phone/sat nav, illegal parking and so on.

The main difference being that relaxed approach to rules kills people.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Indeed.

Passing traffic or filtering through traffic isn't illegal, whether inside or outside, it's actually in the Highway Code:

Rule 160 states that road users should ‘be aware of other road users, especially cycles and motorcycles who may be filtering through the traffic’ and Rule 88, in relation to manoeuvring, states that road users should take care and keep speed low ‘…when filtering in slow-moving traffic’. Furthermore, rule 211 says that ‘it is often difficult to see motorcyclists and cyclists, especially when they are filtering through traffic’.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As do motorists, of which I'm one esp when it comes to speeding, jumping red lights, looking at phone/sat nav, illegal parking and so on.

The main difference being that relaxed approach to rules kills people.

What is your point? :shrug:

Is there anyone here pretending that bad drivers don't break rules?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Passing traffic or filtering through traffic isn't illegal, whether inside or outside, it's actually in the Highway Code:

Rule 160 states that road users should ‘be aware of other road users, especially cycles and motorcycles who may be filtering through the traffic’ and Rule 88, in relation to manoeuvring, states that road users should take care and keep speed low ‘…when filtering in slow-moving traffic’. Furthermore, rule 211 says that ‘it is often difficult to see motorcyclists and cyclists, especially when they are filtering through traffic’.

Indeed. Except I'm not referring to 'filtering'. I'm referring to lycra-clad morons hurtling along at their own pace, and over(under) taking steady urban traffic (not queues, etc)

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Indeed. Except I'm not referring to 'filtering'. I'm referring to lycra-clad morons hurtling along at their own pace, and over(under) taking steady urban traffic (not queues, etc)

Depends what you describe as steady, I would say anything below 20mph is slow moving under rule 160 - interpretation? Any traffic moving along steady 20mph or above, most of us lycra-clad morons will likely sit in behind and enjoy the slip stream. :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Depends what you describe as steady, I would say anything below 20mph is slow moving under rule 160 - interpretation? Any traffic moving along steady 20mph or above, most of us lycra-clad morons will likely sit in behind and enjoy the slip stream. :thumbsup:

There are a load of roads around here where 20 mph is the limit

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Quite - surely the definition of a queue is where traffic is moving slower than it otherwise would be due to other traffic. In most urban areas free flowing traffic will be going at 30/40mph and therefore it's pretty unlikely that it's going to be undertaken by cyclists (except perhaps professionals!)

The vast majority of the cyclists who break the rules (at least round here) seem to be fat blokes dressed in black on a cheapo mountain bike with no lights and no helmet, not "lycra-clad morons".

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The vast majority of the cyclists who break the rules (at least round here) seem to be fat blokes dressed in black on a cheapo mountain bike with no lights and no helmet, not "lycra-clad morons".

For sure. Most of the 'relaxed' approach to rules is from the 'bloke (or kid) on a bike' rather than the serious cyclist. Was just a single example that's all.

It is the latter who seem to like to flip between being considered a road user and a pedestrian, as and when it suits - which is distracting for other road users, and dangerous for actual pedestrians.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And they don’t pay any road tax.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here