Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The Virtues

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anyone else watching the new Shane Meadows drama?
Hell’s Bells and buckets of blood! It’s brilliantly full on.
Stephen Graham plays a drunk as best as any I’ve seen.
Be warned, it’s grittier than a school kids knees in summer.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyone else watching the new Shane Meadows drama?
Hell’s Bells and buckets of blood! It’s brilliantly full on.
Stephen Graham plays a drunk as best as any I’ve seen.
Be warned, it’s grittier than a school kids knees in summer.

Yep. Brilliant stuff from Graham so far. The scenes with his sister last night were terrific. Shane Meadows is a bloody genius.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yep. Brilliant stuff from Graham so far. The scenes with his sister last night were terrific. Shane Meadows is a bloody genius.

Agreed.

I also thought his drinking scene in first episode was so well done. Going from a quiet, guilt ridden pint of the alcoholic to getting a party going in the pub to being blotto and waking up covered in vomit. The regret and hangover the next day were palpable.
Brilliant stuff.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agreed.

I also thought his drinking scene in first episode was so well done. Going from a quiet, guilt ridden pint of the alcoholic to getting a party going in the pub to being blotto and waking up covered in vomit. The regret and hangover the next day were palpable.
Brilliant stuff.

Yeah, was almost watching it through my fingers. I don’t sense it’s going to have a happy ending.......

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yeah, was almost watching it through my fingers. I don’t sense it’s going to have a happy ending.......

I know, me too. Booze will be his undoing again I'm sure.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The acting is brilliant from everyone, really naturalistic, even the child actors are good. Many of the scenes have a semi-improvised feel about them as you dont get any sense that they're reciting lines.
The drama is based on Shane Meadows own personal experiences with dealing with his own suppressed memories of his childhood sex abuse so I think it's going to get a lot more harrowing.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
After two minutes of the first episode I was absolutely hooked.
And there’s no dialogue and no real action to suck you in

It is absolutely brilliant

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Watched the first episode and was hooked. So well produced and like nothing else I've seen before – it almost appears like a fly-on-the-wall documentary at times. Haven't watched the second episode yet, looking forward to it...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Quite brilliant drama, you can feel the atmosphere and despair at times. The drunk scene was superb acting.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Agreed.

Brilliant stuff.

Blown away by the first two episodes. This is the best acting of someone playing drunk I think I have ever seen, almost feels like he genuinely was pissed. When he was vomiting the next morning too it was so real I wonder if he did drink salt water or something to play is so accurately.

I was on edge the whole time as you just know things are on a knife edge the whole time. Amazing stuff.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
It's excellent. Stephen Graham is truly exceptional. The drinking in the pub scene is so well done. So captivating, desperately sad, ominous. I also loved the ferry terminal scene in some way because it brought a brief moment of a lighter tone. He's supported by a brilliant cast too. Episode 2 is even more powerful. I think there's 4 episodes in all.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Recording them all to binge watch, love Stephan Graham, his portrayal of Capone in Board was empire was fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
CONTAINS SPOILER

Another superb episode. I hope they get him some professional help before he does some damage he can't repair.
The lady who plays his sister was utterly brilliant tonight. The scene where she comes down and finds them on the couch together, her dialogue and her acting were so good.
Can't wait to see where this goes.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Tried watching the first episode but just couldn't get into it, maybe its him I don't like

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here