Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Free Solo - 9pm Channel 4

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Been looking forward to watching this. The first free solo of El Capitan....Yosemite Park.

Unbelievable achievement.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Absolutely mental, why anyone wants to free solo is beyond me, climbing El Capitan is an oustanding achievment WITH ropes.

I guess its just not considered unique enough anymore, since quite a few have done it now i think, but seriously, one slip, one loss of grip with one finger and thats it, game over.

A few months since ive seen this film but it is really good, if anyone has missed it tonight, its also on Netflix, well worth a watch.

The Dawn Wall is also excellent, in fact i preferred it.

Edit: Just searched Netflix and free solo appears to have been removed but The Dawn Wall is still on there.

Last edited:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I was in Yosemite last month. El Capitan is a beast. Brilliant spot. The US national parks are something else

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Never got to Yosemite. Been up to the Redwoods Mendocino San Francisco Area and San Diego as well as Lake Tahoe. Yosemite is a place I'd live to visit.

This guy is nuts but a legend.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why on earth would you do that unless you’ve absolutely zero friends and family? Brave, calculated and exceptionally skilled but also a little self centred and unnecessary IMO

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Why on earth would you do that unless you’ve absolutely zero friends and family? Brave, calculated and exceptionally skilled but also a little self centred and unnecessary IMO

I agree with your second sentence but have to say hope this fella has a long and successful life.

He's obviously someone who knows his limits which for most of us is many bars below.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I agree with your second sentence but have to say hope this fella has a long and successful life.

He's obviously someone who knows his limits which for most of us is many bars below.

Me too. He’s exceptionally skilled in what he does. It’s just the cost of one mistake that’s unnecessarily high. Can you imagine being this guys parents!

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
It's been a while since I've watched Valley Uprising, but isn't Alex Honnold the kid at the end who can't understand why everyone is quitting climbing when they make overnight camping against the rules for climbers near El Cap? He just sleeps in his van outside the entrance to the park so he can still climb everyday. If so it's no surprise that he went on to Free Solo El Cap. Kids beyond committed.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Watching now on +1. Should have turned off the TV an hour ago but I'm transfixed.

Sweating like a whore in church and I'm just watching.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Me too. He’s exceptionally skilled in what he does. It’s just the cost of one mistake that’s unnecessarily high. Can you imagine being this guys parents!

He never tells his family when he is climbing free solo.

I have nothing but admiration for him. He follows his own path and pushes himself to the absolute limits. His drive and courage in inspiring, and at the same time, totally nuts.

Razmertaz

Aug 6, 2011
If only I had a go pro and camera team in 95. The world could see someone drink 8 pints of Stella and ride a DT50 from the shepherd and dog up to devil's dyke!/

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Amazing programme, well worth watching.

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
Loved the film. Very good film-making. The guys doing the shooting are the top in their field. I have so much respect for the guy. Interesting that he is vegan too.

Sent from my RNE-L21 using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

They **** you up your mum and dad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Absolutely mental, why anyone wants to free solo is beyond me, climbing El Capitan is an oustanding achievment WITH ropes.

I guess its just not considered unique enough anymore, since quite a few have done it now i think, but seriously, one slip, one loss of grip with one finger and thats it, game over.

A few months since ive seen this film but it is really good, if anyone has missed it tonight, its also on Netflix, well worth a watch.

The Dawn Wall is also excellent, in fact i preferred it.

Edit: Just searched Netflix and free solo appears to have been removed but The Dawn Wall is still on there.

I enjoyed The Dawn Wall too.

That seemed to me to have more an element of struggle and sacrifice.

I never thought Honnold wouldn’t do it. Although it was still amazing when he did.

Because there were two of them on The Dawn Wall, I genuinely appreciated the selflessness of Caldwell waiting for Jorgeson completing Pitch 15. Somehow it felt more heartening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
insane. Genuinely.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

After reading a focus on him several years ago I've kept an eye out for articles and news about him. Whenever I see his name crop up I get worried it is because he has died. Basically he just needs to make 1 mistake and that's it. I too wish him a long and successful life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here