Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Goodbye Old Friend

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Even though we have never met, this has upset me so much, as I adore dogs. People will sadly let you down but your dog NEVER will. Our lab is 9 and my best mate and I don't know what I will do when the day comes. I am so so sorry for you and hope that time will help you get over the undoubted loss.

Yup, same. I can never read these threads without welling up as I remember the dear old friends I've lost, and knowing that I'll have more heartbreak in the future when my current ones (we've got three currently) leave us. Grief is the price we pay for love they say; never more true than with a dog.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This story is more of the feline variety than the canine, but we owned a lovely tortoisehell cat called Wimpey. He was one of a litter that our frien's cat next door gave birth to. He was really loving and gentle, then one morning two summers ago, at the grand old age of 22, l let him out of the front door as per normal, he walked down the garden path to the gate, turned round and looked at me for a few seconds . . . and he never came home.

They say that old cats go away to die when their time comes, and that is precisely what Wimpey did. Two years on, and we have another cat now, Beau, who we got from Cat Protection. As fond as l am of him, he will never be another Wimpey. Only a cat some will say, but believe me, the loss of a much loved pet moggy can affect you in just the same way that the passing of a dog can.

R. I. P. Tresco.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yup, same. I can never read these threads without welling up as I remember the dear old friends I've lost, and knowing that I'll have more heartbreak in the future when my current ones (we've got three currently) leave us. Grief is the price we pay for love they say; never more true than with a dog.

Better to have lived life’s happy journey with the cat or dog, than not imho. The sad part at the end is a small price to pay.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thinking of you on this sad day [MENTION=27288]atfc village[/MENTION]

Most of us on this thread have been there and know the pain it causes. Try and remember that you are doing the right thing, hard though it is :down:

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Sadly the time has come . Tresco my 15 year old Lab is being put down tomorrow. I'm in bits writing this ,i know the time is right but it doesn't make it any easier. The best money i've ever spent in my life. To those on here who know me ,if i'm not myself at Mrs A's do in Worthing Saturday night you know why . RIP old chum.

I am so so sorry.

It is heartbreaking to lose a furry member of the family.

Just remind yourself you gave a good life to your Lab and they would have valued and appreicated being with you.

el punal

Sadly the time has come . Tresco my 15 year old Lab is being put down tomorrow. I'm in bits writing this ,i know the time is right but it doesn't make it any easier. The best money i've ever spent in my life. To those on here who know me ,if i'm not myself at Mrs A's do in Worthing Saturday night you know why . RIP old chum.

I’m so very sorry to hear about you having to say goodbye to Tresco. All I can say is that he (she?) has had a long innings and, by the sound of it, a wonderfully happy life. Hold on to that when it gets tough.

As you can tell from my avatar I have a six year old boxer called Maisie, my pride and joy and whom I absolutely adore. If your feelings for Tresco are the same that I have for Maisie then you must be a loving, indulgent and besotted “Dad”. Stay strong and remember all those good times.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013

Very sorry to hear that mate - all the best at a difficult time.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m so very sorry to hear about you having to say goodbye to Tresco. All I can say is that he (she?) has had a long innings and, by the sound of it, a wonderfully happy life. Hold on to that when it gets tough.

As you can tell from my avatar I have a six year old boxer called Maisie, my pride and joy and whom I absolutely adore. If your feelings for Tresco are the same that I have for Maisie then you must be a loving, indulgent and besotted “Dad”. Stay strong and remember all those good times.

Maisie looks incredibly well looked after and a looker!!!!

el punal

Maisie looks incredibly well looked after and a looker!!!!

Thank you. Yes, she certainly is a madam. She actually stands in front of a full length mirror to check her looks - so very vain, and loves all the attention! Aside from that she has a heart of gold and just about loves everyone.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Really sorry to hear of your plight mate
Had to have my black lab put to sleep a few years back and there's not a day goes by without my thinking about him.

It’s so true. I’ve just remembered that the day we had our beautiful Cocker put down then we didn’t eat for three days after. Appetite just evaporated entirely. Anyone who knows me and my wife would know that’s just not like us! Remember being in this sort of daze too, we ended up bizarrely going to a shopping centre in Watford because we rarely went to such places owning a dog. We’d been there maybe half an hour and remember saying to my wife in M&S ‘what are we doing here.’ And she just said ‘I don’t know and burst into tears’ and we got in the car again and went home. We were just at a complete loss. Genuinely didn’t know what to do, walking around like zombies for the first few days after her death. It’s bereavement in a word. You’re simply grieving. We spent so much of that first week just crying and holding each other. The pain is so raw it hurts like nothing else. They’ve relied on you all their lives and you have to make that fatal decision. The hardest I’ve ever and probably ever will have to make. God love her, it was 13 years ago now and I’m still getting all emowsh writing this now!! Her ashes are buried in our garden, in a massive pot with a Japanese maple tree in case we ever move house so she can come will us.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
The fact that he hasn't posted today, says it all to me.. Wishing you well!..
Hopefully you will come to terms with it someday.. I know how your hurting.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
As priveleged guardian of a beautiful working cocker and knowing that 'my' time will come, I just don't know what to say to offer you any comfort but all I can say is stay with Tresco until the end as that is when he will need your reassurance - don't walk out, I've been there, it's the worst thing ever !

Will you have another ?

Thanks mate ,i Couldn't be there due to work . Won't have another said that last time,that lasted a grand total of 11 days .

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I'm back what a day . up at 5 30 for work ,let him out in garden and cooked Sausages his favorite treat . Said my goodbyes to him then left for work in floods of tears . Got through the day somehow even managed to smash the screen on my phone:ffsparr: but who cares. My mother and brother were with him when the time came . He went peacefully in his bed . Both the vet and the guy from the cremation firm were very caring.

Finally to everyone who has posted such kind words on here i thank you deeply from the bottom of my heart,may even see some of you in Worthing tomorrow night . All the best.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham

A beautiful looking dog may i say. I will always remember him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here