Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Goodbye Old Friend

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
21, that’s an incredible age. Only ever known one who reached that before. Mine sadly died aged 16. I adored him and was devastated he died whilst we were on holiday, felt guilty for years I wasn’t with him at the end. We had a little funeral and he’s buried in my parents garden. Neighbour even came round and threw a rose into the grave before I filled it in. never got another because the pain of losing him was so great. I completely understand why people never get another pet after losing one.

We buried her in our garden, with her favourite things like a duvet. Will never be forgotten.

A few weeks later we took on twin rescue kittens from the RSPCA, who’d come from an awful household we were told. They have a lovely life with us, a family kind to all creatures.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Sadly the time has come . Tresco my 15 year old Lab is being put down tomorrow. I'm in bits writing this ,i know the time is right but it doesn't make it any easier. The best money i've ever spent in my life. To those on here who know me ,if i'm not myself at Mrs A's do in Worthing Saturday night you know why . RIP old chum.

As priveleged guardian of a beautiful working cocker and knowing that 'my' time will come, I just don't know what to say to offer you any comfort but all I can say is stay with Tresco until the end as that is when he will need your reassurance - don't walk out, I've been there, it's the worst thing ever !

Will you have another ?

Last edited:

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
It's never nice saying goodbye. In time you'll remember the life you gave him/her and the great memories you had together. It's only positive. Feel for ya. Chin up.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We buried her in our garden, with her favourite things like a duvet. Will never be forgotten.

A few weeks later we took on twin rescue kittens from the RSPCA, who’d come from an awful household we were told. They have a lovely life with us, a family kind to all creatures.
That’s a lovely legacy. Meant to be. :)

Ours too was from RSPCA, apparently as a kitten he’d been left locked in a house when the owners or tenants moved on and nearly starved to death. He had a lifetime love of food thereafter, excessively so. Was always nagging for more food and nothing gave him more pleasure than tucking into his tea or breakfast until his dying day.

Human cruelty scars so many animals for life. I simply don’t understand and mores point don’t want to those people who inflict unnecessary suffering on animals. They can all go rot in hell as far as I’m concerned.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As owner of a beautiful working cocker and knowing that 'my' time will come, I just don't know what to say to offer you any comfort but all I can say is stay with Tresco until the end as that is when he will need your reassurance - don't walk out, I've been there, it's the worst thing ever !

Will you have another ?

I’ve been the one who’s stayed with our pets right to the last moment, as they’ve been put to sleep (my family can’t bear it). I cried buckets, but glad that I did, stroking their gorgeous fur and saying goodbye. The last time, at New Priory Brighton, the vet was a really lovely, compassionate person.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I have lost count of the number of occasions I have been present when life has been declared extinct or despite best and prolonged efforts human life has slipped way in front of my eyes. But I have always been able to rationalise it and act in a professional manner. But when we had to have our cat put to sleep, I was in bits.

Funny how those old furry friends get to a bit of you that nothing else can.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If only we could be kinder to our fellow humans also.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That’s a lovely legacy. Meant to be. :)

Ours too was from RSPCA, apparently as a kitten he’d been left locked in a house when the owners or tenants moved on and nearly starved to death. He had a lifetime love of food thereafter, excessively so. Was always nagging for more food and nothing gave him more pleasure than tucking into his tea or breakfast until his dying day.

Human cruelty scars so many animals for life. I simply don’t understand and mores point don’t want to those people who inflict unnecessary suffering on animals. They can all go rot in hell as far as I’m concerned.

I’ve taught my kids from a very young age, to be kind to animals (pets and wildlife). It’s the least we can do.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If only we could be kinder to our fellow humans also.

The vast majority are kind to their fellow human being. Like our footy hooligans, a minority, the killers of humans are very much the same, a minority, and sadly the scum we have no wish to vote in but have very little choice.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I’ve been the one who’s stayed with our pets right to the last moment, as they’ve been put to sleep (my family can’t bear it). I cried buckets, but glad that I did, stroking their gorgeous fur and saying goodbye. The last time, at New Priory Brighton, the vet was a really lovely, compassionate person.

It's awful but absolutely essential !

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I’ve taught my kids from a very young age, to be kind to animals (pets and wildlife). It’s the least we can do.

When I read threads like this, and billyboys, I am strangely drawn more towards getting a dog as opposed to being put off. Always been a cat kind of bloke, but I could accommodate a dog, especially a retriever or alsatian. Bit torn.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have lost count of the number of occasions I have been present when life has been declared extinct or despite best and prolonged efforts human life has slipped way in front of my eyes. But I have always been able to rationalise it and act in a professional manner. But when we had to have our cat put to sleep, I was in bits.

Funny how those old furry friends get to a bit of you that nothing else can.

I’ve sometimes thought about that.

My take is that they give 100% devotion and love (without the angst!), they are always there for you and are totally dependent on you for their needs. Making an incredible bond.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I’ve sometimes thought about that.

My take is that they give 100% devotion and love (without the angst!), they are always there for you and are totally dependent on you for their needs. Making an incredible bond.

I think, as they are lesser animals, without being disingenuous towards them, that they do look at us, that feed them, more than anything, as their alpha male.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I've been there, you have my deepest sympathies.

Enjoy your final evening, if he is still eating let him have his favourites & feed him from your hand, you can tell him how much you love him & how he made the world a better place.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I've been there, you have my deepest sympathies.

Enjoy your final evening, if he is still eating let him have his favourites & feed him from your hand, you can tell him how much you love him & how he made the world a better place.

Overfeed him his favourites, he'll have the best night of his life.

We have acquired a young cat from my son (long story) much against my wishes. Now he's a constant delight (much against my wishes). I think some of you will know what I mean. Anyway, with a 20 year life expectancy the little bugger is likely to outlive me. I half expect the missus to come home from the bingo on a TV match night to find the little ****er pan frying my kidneys in a red wine sauce.

To lighten the tone a little I imagine that on the North Kent cat's equivalent of NSC a young cat is discreetly posting "..... acquired new human staff recently. Have found them remarkably easy to train and they have fallen for the old "pretend affection " trick. What is your personal best time for getting them to cook proper food rather than the junk that humans serve from those round things? Also how long do you usually leave it before you present them with their first "decapitated mouse" gift as our recognised sign that you have decided that you are happy for them to serve you.".

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Sorry to hear that, we lost our Border Collie about 18 months ago, we had her for nearly 13 years, but the time was right to let her go.
She was bought for the kids when they were growing up, though it was me who had to walk her etc.
You have my sympathy mate and remember the good parts.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Really sorry to hear of your plight mate
Had to have my black lab put to sleep a few years back and there's not a day goes by without my thinking about him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here