Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Goodbye Old Friend

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree. I saw a very disturbing report in local paper about 3 youngmen pulling a live pheasant apart in a country lane where flytipper cameras are hidden and caught them unawares. They’re trying to find the culprits, it’s a horrendously cruel thing to do. Because I too think people who enjoy such cruelty towards animals are definitely ones that need to go on a watch list because of what they’re capable of doing to the rest of us. In my government, I’d have no problem getting rid of such people, our gene pool has become an infested swamp, full of nasties and in need of a good drain anyway...:whistle:

That’s proven. Sadistic criminals, so often were cruel to animals in their past.

But happily the vast majority of people in this country are kind to animals (and their fellow human beings, I hope). A good place to live..

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
We had a black lab and his back legs went and it broke my heart when he was put to sleep and he was in my arms when he went.

At times like this you have to think of the dog and not yourselves.
One of the hardest things in life is putting your four legged friend to sleep.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had to have my 18 year old cat put down recently. Even though there was other humans around my house, he always wanted to see me only, scratch on my door, and do that thing where they show their belly as they don't see you as a threat. Despite being supposed hunter killers, they sometimes show almost respect to their human servants.

Our gorgeous cat who lived to 21, loved me the most. She was affectionate but never a lap cat; remarkably she came to lie on me just once which was the night before she was rushed to the vets where I had her put to sleep.

In pain, had she come to seek help from me and/or say goodbye?

We had our wonderful girl put to sleep at home, she hated going to the vets, would whine and shake incessantly before we'd even got close as she just knew where we were going.

She passed on her sofa, with her head on my wife's lap and me kneeling in front looking into her eyes.

theboybilly

It's been six weeks since I lost my boy. I still miss him bumping into the back of my legs as he followed me into the kitchen - always on the lookout for a treat. We took his ashes and have them at home, the first pet we've done this with - it just feels right that somehow he is still around. Time will tell if we ever get another dog. I'm hoping so.
But for now best wishes for you tomorrow. A horrible time but you've done right by Tresco for 15 years and you are doing the very best for him now.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Sadly the time has come . Tresco my 15 year old Lab is being put down tomorrow. I'm in bits writing this ,i know the time is right but it doesn't make it any easier. The best money i've ever spent in my life. To those on here who know me ,if i'm not myself at Mrs A's do in Worthing Saturday night you know why . RIP old chum.

God bless and goodbye Tresco. You have been loved and probably had the best life a dog could probably have. Sleep tight old boy. Remember you can’t buy the memories.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
It's been six weeks since I lost my boy. I still miss him bumping into the back of my legs as he followed me into the kitchen - always on the lookout for a treat. We took his ashes and have them at home, the first pet we've done this with - it just feels right that somehow he is still around. Time will tell if we ever get another dog. I'm hoping so.
But for now best wishes for you tomorrow. A horrible time but you've done right by Tresco for 15 years and you are doing the very best for him now.

I know mate i replied on your thread at your loss,saying Tresco was taking it day by day now the day has come . Just like the last dog he will be cremated and will scatter his ashes at his favorite place.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
We had our wonderful girl put to sleep at home, she hated going to the vets, would whine and shake incessantly before we'd even got close as she just knew where we were going.

She passed on her sofa, with her head on my wife's lap and me kneeling in front looking into her eyes.

Yep he hates going to the vets ,so we doing it at home ,sadly as i've said i can't be there but will sleep on the sofa so he won't be alone tonight.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Eulogy of the dog

"Gentlemen of the jury: The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it the most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads. The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.

Gentlemen of the jury: A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death."[/QUOTE
]

Beautiful post, I've been there before :down: and dreading anything happening to my wonderful companion - the only thing which worries me more is if I go first, what would she feel, how would she react, it's the unconditional love thing which only dogs know !

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Even though we have never met, this has upset me so much, as I adore dogs. People will sadly let you down but your dog NEVER will. Our lab is 9 and my best mate and I don't know what I will do when the day comes. I am so so sorry for you and hope that time will help you get over the undoubted loss.

Thank you i know you will but cherish every moment i have . Never a bad day with him.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I work with a guy who owns a gorgeous (and naughty) 6 year old Border Collie. The fifth in his life so far!!

He told me that the pup was so tiny when they collected him, the pup sat comfortably by the gear stick.

We travelled back from Cornwall with him and he just would not tinkle ,as soon as he got through the front door he marked his spot . I still chuckle at that.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You have given your dog a great life while many others don't have that luxury. All the best.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sadly the time has come . Tresco my 15 year old Lab is being put down tomorrow. I'm in bits writing this ,i know the time is right but it doesn't make it any easier. The best money i've ever spent in my life. To those on here who know me ,if i'm not myself at Mrs A's do in Worthing Saturday night you know why . RIP old chum.

Broken hearted for you genuinely. Looking as I do at my two cats (one nearly died last year) and seeing them at their peak, 5 and 6.... the next decade will go as quick as the last. I try to think of now, but I just know how you feel. Been there, hate it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Had my 15 year old Irish Setter put down way back in 1996. Not a day goes passed without thinking of him. As you say, it doesn't help that it's the right thing to do. All the best.

Not a day goes past I don't think of my cat Holly. Got her from CPL, emaciated, sick, grabbed her back to life. She was petrified of humans having been abused. Only had her for 18 months, but in that time she had learned to love life and trust me. One day found her paralysed in the front garden. Tried everything but she died. That was 1991, and I think about her so dearly, most days. The cats I've had since never took the grief away. Pets mean so much to us, that care.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Our gorgeous cat who lived to 21, loved me the most. She was affectionate but never a lap cat; remarkably she came to lie on me just once which was the night before she was rushed to the vets where I had her put to sleep.

In pain, had she come to seek help from me and/or say goodbye?
21, that’s an incredible age. Only ever known one who reached that before. Mine sadly died aged 16. I adored him and was devastated he died whilst we were on holiday, felt guilty for years I wasn’t with him at the end. We had a little funeral and he’s buried in my parents garden. Neighbour even came round and threw a rose into the grave before I filled it in. never got another because the pain of losing him was so great. I completely understand why people never get another pet after losing one.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We had the most lovely beagle but at 5 years old he suddenly became jealous of our two boys aged 5 and 3 and started to attack their toys and would bare teeth at them. Talked to the vet who said we could not take a chance that he might attack them. Never forget the day I took him back to the vets. Beagle was on his best behaviour with others in the waiting room praising him for being such a well behaved and lovely looking dog. Awful experience to put him down. I cried buckets and said I could never go through that again. That was in the mid 70,s and we have never had another dog.

5? Why didn't you rehouse him?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just read through the 6 pages, quite heartbroken as I was with billyboy's thread.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Feel for you mate. We're on our first dog, only had her 8 months, she's 5, we love her to bits. Just the thought of that moment coming in the future is awful. Sounds like Tresco had a wonderful 15 years, and the fantastic memories will be with you forever. RIP Tresco

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We have acquired a young cat from my son (long story) much against my wishes. Now he's a constant delight (much against my wishes). I think some of you will know what I mean. Anyway, with a 20 year life expectancy the little bugger is likely to outlive me. I half expect the missus to come home from the bingo on a TV match night to find the little ****er pan frying my kidneys in a red wine sauce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here