Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Goodbye Old Friend

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
My yellow lab Albie (not sure where that name came from....) left this mortal coil some dozen years ago. Every time I see another one I feel sad and happy at the same time. They are indeed a fabulous creature, the labrador, a near perfect animal.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Sadly the time has come . Tresco my 15 year old Lab is being put down tomorrow. I'm in bits writing this ,i know the time is right but it doesn't make it any easier.

As hard as it is, please be assured that it's the most merciful thing you can do.

No more pain, no more suffering.

Tresco..."O, see rest."

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
RiP Tressco . . . .I still remember the day we lost our last dog, 23 years ago, a good dog is a priceless family member

Darloseagull

Jan 2, 2016
Feel for you I really do.We had our dog Buster put down last year and I miss him every day. But it sounds like you gave me an amazing life.I really do feel your pain.

Darloseagull

Jan 2, 2016
Feel for you I really do.We had our dog Buster put down last year and I miss him every day. But it sounds like you gave him an amazing life.I really do feel your pain.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Feel for you I really do.We had our dog Buster put down last year and I miss him every day. But it sounds like you gave me an amazing life.I really do feel your pain.

Oh he has had a grand life . From the day i came off a night shift to travel down 2oo Miles to Cornwall to pick him up ,then travel back 2hours sleep then back to work. He came on holidays with us and was always apart off every day life .

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
Always difficult ...never easy...we put our JR down 2 years ago...never forgotten and always talk about her
Hopefully this will help..... Rainbow Bridge.png

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
My thoughts are with you. We had a rescue dog who we had 12 yrs, he got cancer and we had to have him put down. whole family devastated, walk to the Vets was strange as he hated the vets but went straight in. I know this wont help but it was quick and we were there with him holding him and talking to him. They even left us alone to spend as much time as we wanted saying goodbye. It is actually quite emotional even now some 5 yrs later telling this. Best thing my wife did was for my Birthday last year had a portrait of him done,,, I still talk to it as he was the only member of the family that did as I told him. Its not nice but it is the best for them. Take care and all the best

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Sad news indeed, we made the decision to put down our 16 year old in January. Still think of her and miss her everyday :down:

Feel for you but it’s a day you always know is coming given the relatively short life spans, 15 years is a good innings.

When you say you put down your 16 year old, you do mean dog don’t you and not offspring?

Sorry, gallows humour is the best way I can find to say sorry to you both. We had to rehouse our cat, so not the same as having to put down, but my wife was in bits for weeks!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Sadly the time has come . Tresco my 15 year old Lab is being put down tomorrow. I'm in bits writing this ,i know the time is right but it doesn't make it any easier. The best money i've ever spent in my life. To those on here who know me ,if i'm not myself at Mrs A's do in Worthing Saturday night you know why . RIP old chum.

Even though we have never met, this has upset me so much, as I adore dogs. People will sadly let you down but your dog NEVER will. Our lab is 9 and my best mate and I don't know what I will do when the day comes. I am so so sorry for you and hope that time will help you get over the undoubted loss.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh he has had a grand life . From the day i came off a night shift to travel down 2oo Miles to Cornwall to pick him up ,then travel back 2hours sleep then back to work. He came on holidays with us and was always apart off every day life .

I work with a guy who owns a gorgeous (and naughty) 6 year old Border Collie. The fifth in his life so far!!

He told me that the pup was so tiny when they collected him, the pup sat comfortably by the gear stick.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
We had the most lovely beagle but at 5 years old he suddenly became jealous of our two boys aged 5 and 3 and started to attack their toys and would bare teeth at them. Talked to the vet who said we could not take a chance that he might attack them. Never forget the day I took him back to the vets. Beagle was on his best behaviour with others in the waiting room praising him for being such a well behaved and lovely looking dog. Awful experience to put him down. I cried buckets and said I could never go through that again. That was in the mid 70,s and we have never had another dog.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Even though we have never met, this has upset me so much, as I adore dogs. People will sadly let you down but your dog NEVER will. Our lab is 9 and my best mate and I don't know what I will do when the day comes. I am so so sorry for you and hope that time will help you get over the undoubted loss.

Oh, I don’t know. My dogs let me down plenty of times: helped herself to picnics whilst family are a few yards away playing frisbee, rolled in Eau de Foxshit, stolen a sausage from a toddlers hand....Only last week she buried a bone wrecking three freshly potted plants in process. She also once chewed passport 2 weeks prior to needing it...that was quite stressful!

But yes, I like to think that their shorter lives are the price we have to pay for love. Unconditional love. But what a price. Took me years to get over death of my first dog, I couldn’t speak about without welling up and even now when I think about her I can easily get emossh. I’ve an even closer bond with our second one who is now quite old. I fear the day that’s coming, I held her the 2nd day of her life and we’ve been inseparable since. Love her more than words can say.

My heart goes out to anyone who loses their pet but especially a dog because they simply are man’s best friend.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Can't begin to think what you're feeling fella. Our dog is 12 and getting creaky now and I know the day this happens will be a very dark one.

He's clearly had the best life he could, and I'm sure if he could talk he'd tell you this himself. Be happy he's had a great time on this earth, and so have you whilst he's been with you. Unbearably sad, but that's the positive side. :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh, I don’t know. My dogs let me down plenty of times: helped herself to picnics whilst family are a few yards away playing frisbee, rolled in Eau de Foxshit, stolen a sausage from a toddlers hand....Only last week she buried a bone wrecking three freshly potted plants in process. She also once chewed passport 2 weeks prior to needing it...that was quite stressful!

But yes, I like to think that their shorter lives are the price we have to pay for love. Unconditional love. But what a price. Took me years to get over death of my first dog, I couldn’t speak about without welling up and even now when I think about her I can easily get emossh. I’ve an even closer bond with our second one who is now quite old. I fear the day that’s coming, I held her the 2nd day of her life and we’ve been inseparable since. Love her more than words can say.

My heart goes out to anyone who loses their pet but especially a dog because they simply are man’s best friend.

An animal lover, is a sign of a decent human being, in my humble opinion.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I had to have my 18 year old cat put down recently. Even though there was other humans around my house, he always wanted to see me only, scratch on my door, and do that thing where they show their belly as they don't see you as a threat. Despite being supposed hunter killers, they sometimes show almost respect to their human servants.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
An animal lover, is a sign of a decent human being, in my humble opinion.

Agree. I saw a very disturbing report in local paper about 3 youngmen pulling a live pheasant apart in a country lane where flytipper cameras are hidden and caught them unawares. They’re trying to find the culprits, it’s a horrendously cruel thing to do. Because I too think people who enjoy such cruelty towards animals are definitely ones that need to go on a watch list because of what they’re capable of doing to the rest of us. In my government, I’d have no problem getting rid of such people, our gene pool has become an infested swamp, full of nasties and in need of a good drain anyway...:whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here