[Politics] Question Time tonight - Join me in a game of Simon Jordan bingo

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
My personal favourites:

By definition...
A change in the direction of travel
To answer the Genesis of your question

Likes the sound of his own voice but does make some noteworthy points about some of today's key issues in and around football. Interested to see how he gets on debating political matters. Seems to always speak well of Bloom and the Albion, even though(the obvious!).

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I try very hard to dislike the bloke, but often when I hear him on talksport he seems to be fairly reasonable.

However I’m sure it’s because he is surrounded by people who haven’t got a clue which makes him look better.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I try very hard to dislike the bloke, but often when I hear him on talksport he seems to be fairly reasonable.

However I’m sure it’s because he is surrounded by people who haven’t got a clue which makes him look better.

Same here. He's a straight talker, but he always seems to talk a lot of sense. His book 'Be Careful What You Wish For" is an excellent read.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Jordan is worth listening to.

"Do I regret saying football's a 'bullshit world full of bullshit people'? It's a statement that's followed me around since I made it last season. I probably could have put it better, and while some took it well - Freddy Shepherd phoned to say 'Hi, it's one of the tossers here' - others definitely didn't. One in particular took real delight in Palace's relegation, telling me as much to my face. But do I regret the sentiment? Not even slightly.

I first came across agent Leon Angel when I sacked Trevor Francis in April 2003. I told Trevor we could do a simple deal on his compensation very quickly just between us, but warned that if he brought in an outside influence - an adviser - it could take a lot longer. Trevor engaged Angel, and four months later we were still talking.

Advertisement

The next time I saw Angel was in May this year, exactly a week after our relegation, walking on to our training ground. He'd arranged a meeting with Iain Dowie to tell him that Andrew Johnson, who'd always insisted he wanted to stay at Palace, wanted to leave. I joined the meeting. Would we give him a mandate to find a buyer, Angel asked?

He didn't get one. After a summer of what I found to be completely divisive interventions from Angel, I finally managed to get Andy on his own last week, away from the agent. Andy's a sensible young man, who knows what he's worth as an England striker. He has a good relationship with his employer - an agent's worst nightmare - and we did a deal on a new contract in five minutes.

Angel had previously written me a letter to say he was disappointed to read in the press that I'd said some bad things about him, that I'd said he'd sought to undermine the relationship between the club and the player. He said he'd never sought to get a mandate. I nearly fell off my chair. I wrote a letter back imploring him to take me to court so I could put it all in the public domain.

I just don't believe his behaviour was right. I've reported him to the FA for what I believe is a contravention of Fifa regulations - you cannot represent more than one party in a transaction. I've also banned him and his organisation from Selhurst Park and from the training ground. Johnson was encouraged to believe he'd have no chance of making the England team if he stayed at Palace. Sven disagreed. So Angel's considering legal action against me? Good. Can't wait.

This isn't a personality thing with me, a control thing or any sort of vendetta. I've said before I'm not conducting a crusade against agents - just against bad agents and bad practice. I see so many of them happy to sow division if it means they get a better deal, often working against the interests of clubs, players and supporters - and yet the game still opens its arms and embraces them. It's a problem on both sides: agents out to bleed the game dry supposedly in their client's best interests, and egotistical, irresponsible officials who are more than happy to roll over and let them.

Angel's far from the only agent I've dealt with who I'd put in the problem category. And some deserve a category all of their own. Enough's been written about Paul Stretford over the past year, but it's worth adding just a little bit more.

Wayne Routledge, now at Spurs, came to be a Stretford player after he went on an England youth tour. It turned out one of the other boys' parents was on Proactive's payroll. So I send a 17-year-old boy who I've looked after for three years away with England, and he comes back with an agent. Instead of the PFA advising him and looking after his financial and footballing interests - all the factors that go into career development - his advice is all coming from Stretford. A couple of years later, he's refusing a new contract, and he's left the club.

Does it surprise me that Paul Stretford's in the position he's in today? Where, after the court case over the right to represent Wayne Rooney, his professional reputation is in tatters and his personal safety has apparently been threatened? No it doesn't. If you dance with the devil you better know what tune he plays. No one should end up being threatened with violence, but his antics, as revealed in court, are, how to put it, highly debatable. I have no surprise that he's in this predicament, and I have absolutely no sympathy for him.

There are plenty of agents who work well, who do a decent job for a very large reward, and who know if they treat people like me fairly, will be treated fairly in return. I have shares in one agency that I know works constructively: it doesn't make me a hypocrite, it makes me someone who can see the clear distinction.

So what am I asking other chairmen to do? In fairness, many don't need asking. I may be the mouthpiece - the one lighting the blue touchpaper - but some chairmen do take the same line as me in refusing to deal with the divisive operators, albeit more quietly. Others, though, are a huge part of the problem. It's mostly those who haven't put their own money into clubs - people such as David Gill at Manchester United. If Gill's salary was index-linked to the amount he spends on agents, United's agent fee bill last year wouldn't have been £5.5m.

And what am I asking the authorities to do? To make agents transparent, regulated, controlled. They shouldn't be allowed to divide clubs and players, and give players bad advice, driven by the desire to line their own pockets. It's also nonsense to suggest adults can't negotiate for themselves.

By standing up and making statements like this, and by acting against certain agents and groups, I'm going against the grain and I'm taking a risk that people won't want to deal with me or with Palace. I regret it may already have cost us the chance to sign Tim Cahill last summer: when his agent asked me to pay him £125,000 - for what? - I was stunned.

But what's the alternative? Sit back, do a Peter Ridsdale and let them take me as a patsy, as a mug? Agents made a fortune out of Ridsdale, and almost destroyed Leeds. I'm passionate about Crystal Palace and I know I'm acting directly for the well-being of the club by making a stand. Three years ago we put an injunction on Steve Bruce when he tried to walk out, to make the point that contracts mean something. Sometimes you have to fight these battles, and hope that the precedent you set will catch on.

Some people dismiss all this, telling me I should be living in the real world - that bad agents are as much a part of the game as spitting, diving and cheating. What a great real world that is. A world where players such as Rio Ferdinand are advised to reject £100,000 a week. A world where players get paid a basic salary for turning up to work, appearance money for doing their job, goal bonuses for doing their job well and a loyalty payment for staying for one year of a four-year contract?

This isn't the real world - it's a banana republic. And if people in the game can't see that - and think things can't get any better, fairer or more decent - God help us."

Simon Jordan, Observer column, 7th Aug 2005

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sadly, I'm in the category of "would love to hate him, but I do tend to be either nodding approvingly whenever he speaks, or howling with delight that he's speaking so open and honestly.

I feel dirty, but it's true, I like the bloke .... there, I've said it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Sadly, I'm in the category of "would love to hate him, but I do tend to be either nodding approvingly whenever he speaks, or howling with delight that he's speaking so open and honestly.

I feel dirty, but it's true, I like the bloke .... there, I've said it.

I'd put myself in this category, he seems like a decent bloke. As was mentioned earlier, when he's on Jim White's show the others make him sound like a genius! When Jim is trotting out his tabloid nonsense it's quite funny when Jordan ignores it and tries to make the conversion a bit more high brow.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yep, gotta agree. He talks a lot of sense...for a Palace *******! :annoyed:

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
He might of broken many local business but I too admit I really do enjoy listening to him on the radio!

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Same here. He's a straight talker, but he always seems to talk a lot of sense. His book 'Be Careful What You Wish For" is an excellent read.

I assume you are joking, it’s one of the worst books I’ve ever read.

It is utterly delusional, but I guess he “had the last laugh”, again & again & again.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I assume you are joking, it’s one of the worst books I’ve ever read.

It is utterly delusional, but I guess he “had the last laugh”, again & again & again.

Its an interesting insight into the circles he was involved in, the players, the agents, the managers, other club directors. He's clearly an arse, his hair tells you that (as per the current incumbant). But its still a very good read, albeit from his perspective of course. Its no great leap to believe the spivs, liars and shysters he talks about, and it probably takes one to know one. Doesn't make it "delusional".

If you read Barney Ronays article on the people involved in the deal for Sala and how that all played out, its entirely in keeping with Jordan's observations about the industry in that book.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Its an interesting insight into the circles he was involved in, the players, the agents, the managers, other club directors. He's clearly an arse, his hair tells you that (as per the current incumbant). But its still a very good read, albeit from his perspective of course. Its no great leap to believe the spivs, liars and shysters he talks about, and it probably takes one to know one. Doesn't make it "delusional".

If you read Barney Ronays article on the people involved in the deal for Sala and how that all played out, its entirely in keeping with Jordan's observations about the industry in that book.

I was referring to his incessant belief that he is a truly brilliant businessman. The clever little sausage.

Not his football observations.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Somewhat annoyingly he seems to be making a fair amount of sense

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here