Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 50 Years Ago Today

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Tommy by the Who was released.

The greatest concept/rock opera album ever, or over rated rubbish.

Personally I don't think its even the Who's best album, and probably falls somewhere in the middle for critical acclaim.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
i like the music but the libretto is a bit overwrought. 'Quadrophenia' is miles better, out of Who albums alone.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I see it's getting the orchestral treatment, released in June.

Think I have the LSO version somewhere, with the likes of Sandy Denny, Steve Winwood, Maggie Bell and Rod the Mod.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Completely useless trivia fact. The film was shot in Portsmouth and they used a lot of locals as extras, and my cousin signed up for it. When Roger Daltrey is carried out at the end of Pinwall Wizzard, he is one of the crowd carrying him :lolol:

Chap on the right in the red and white bobble hat.

tommy.JPG

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Completely useless trivia fact. The film was shot in Portsmouth and they used a lot of locals as extras, and my cousin signed up for it. When Roger Daltrey is carried out at the end of Pinwall Wizzard, he is one of the crowd carrying him :lolol:

Chap on the right in the red and white bobble hat.

View attachment 110091

Looks like a retro pitch invasion at the Emirates!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought War of the Worlds was a much better concept album personally but it’s all about opinions. Not a big fan of Tommy myself

Who’s Next is my favourite album of theirs by a margin, although I do have a soft spot for Sell Out

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Tommy by the Who was released.

The greatest concept/rock opera album ever, or over rated rubbish.

Personally I don't think its even the Who's best album, and probably falls somewhere in the middle for critical acclaim.

I like the odd song, but I own only one Who CD - Live at Leeds, and I only ever played it the once. They are a band I'd really like to like, but I always found them falling between stools. They were insufficiently melodic when I liked a good tune in the 60s. They were insufficiently cool, far out or musically interesting when I was into prog in the early 70s. They were then 'old wave' when I got into punk, and were well and truly dad rock when I was off with post-rock, electronica, ambient, shoegaze and trance in the 80s and 90s.

I just went and looked at the tracklists of all their albums up to 81. Mmmmmmmnnnnnnnnaaaaahhh. Maybe, like an armful of heroin, this is one of life's pleasures that is simply not for me. :shrug:

Edit: I bought the single 'Let's see action' in around 1972 and think it is stunning, as is the b side (an Entwhistle ditty)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I like the odd song, but I own only one Who CD - Live at Leeds, and I only ever played it the once. They are a band I'd really like to like, but I always found them falling between stools. They were insufficiently melodic when I liked a good tune in the 60s. They were insufficiently cool, far out or musically interesting when I was into prog in the early 70s. They were then 'old wave' when I got into punk, and were well and truly dad rock when I was off with post-rock, electronica, ambient, shoegaze and trance in the 80s and 90s.

I just went and looked at the tracklists of all their albums up to 81. Mmmmmmmnnnnnnnnaaaaahhh. Maybe, like an armful of heroin, this is one of life's pleasures that is simply not for me. :shrug:

Edit: I bought the single 'Let's see action' in around 1972 and think it is stunning, as is the b side (an Entwhistle ditty)

John Entwhistle you say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpz2OYf1QU

Fungus

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 21, 2004
Truro
50 years! Feck me, where did all the great music go?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here