Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League finances: the full club-by-club breakdown and verdict

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
No one in the public domain has a handle on the benign nature of Bloom’s investment and always cites it as worrying.

Oh for the days when journalists actually bothered to do detailed analysis.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why are Swansea in such alleged deep shit? They made a small loss following a decent profit the previous year. They have moved on 16 players so the wage bill must have been slashed this season?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
No one in the public domain has a handle on the benign nature of Bloom’s investment and always cites it as worrying.

If they're like that with us I wonder what else they have missed with other teams.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That's a bit harsh. The piece makes no mention of Bloom's investment being "worrying" and David Conn is the one football journalist who really does shine a light into the darker corners of football finances.
I think you're reading too much into it.

What is interesting, to me anyway, is the level of wages to turnover. At 56% of turnover, we are (I think) the sixth lowest (and most of the others are the likes of the two Manchester clubs with their huge income). That smacks of real stability to me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What is interesting, to me anyway, is the level of wages to turnover. At 56% of turnover, we are (I think) the sixth lowest (and most of the others are the likes of the two Manchester clubs with their huge income). That smacks of real stability to me.

And guess who is highest, at an eyewatering 78%...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
That's a bit harsh. The piece makes no mention of Bloom's investment being "worrying" and David Conn is the one football journalist who really does shine a light into the darker corners of football finances.
I think you're reading too much into it.

I was perhaps being flippant about this particular report where it actually refers to the ‘sobering’ nature of reliance on TB, noting a further increase of £32m in net debt. More generally across the media there are lazy comparisons.

100% agree that keeping wage to turnover ratio below 60% is prudent in business terms but is unlikely to get pulses racing around summer business as it’s unlikely that we’re going to push the boat out - yes we’ll sign people of that I’m sure but they won’t be established Premier League quality names on fat salaries.

But a cursory glance at Interest Payments vs Debt suggests we have have a very good deal going on over Tony's £223m

True but rarely do the wider media/pundits bother themselves on such situations.

The interest relates to an OD the club ran up prior to receipt of any PL income once promoted.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I was perhaps being flippant about this particular report where it actually refers to the ‘sobering’ nature of reliance on TB, noting a further increase of £32m in net debt. More generally across the media there are lazy comparisons.

100% agree that keeping wage to turnover ratio below 60% is prudent in business terms but is unlikely to get pulses racing around summer business as it’s unlikely that we’re going to push the boat out - yes we’ll sign people of that I’m sure but they won’t be established Premier League quality names on fat salaries.

True but rarely do the wider media/pundits bother themselves on such situations.

The interest relates to an OD the club ran up prior to receipt of any PL income once promoted.

I am not worried that we are anything but a very well-run (WRT finances) club... are you?

I believe you may be pleasantly surprised by our incomings in the summer, now that Tony has somebody in charge of the 1st team who doesn't believe a 9-0---------1 formation is the answer in every game...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Some DULLARDS do report on the nature of TB’s investment though.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I am not worried that we are anything but a very well-run (WRT finances) club... are you?

I believe you may be pleasantly surprised by our incomings in the summer, now that Tony has somebody in charge of the 1st team who doesn't believe a 9-0---------1 formation is the answer in every game...

TBs key goal is to make us sustainable, I don’t believe ramping up the income to wage ratio is a sensible way to achieve that and don’t believe TBs model says so either.

He will probably see value signings with potential as the way forward. That’s all I meant.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Was it Pal@rse by any chance? If so, I would be shocked!

Only the top 6 clubs + Everton pay out more on players wages.

6 years in the PL, zero investment in infrastructure (aside from a back-of-a-fag-packet design for a single new stand that'll never happen anyway), a total reliance on TV money, and a crippling wagebill that would see them go under if they ever dropped back into the Championship, with a squad of overpaid wastrels who nobody would touch with a bargepole because of the astonishing contracts they've been gifted.

Its a different kind of gambling I suppose.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

we are well run in the Prem.

Issues are ( and same for most clubs ) , the championship isn't sustainable.

I guess the more prudent you can be in the prem then the longer you can prob absorb any losses in the Champ to try and return.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
TBs key goal is to make us sustainable, I don’t believe ramping up the income to wage ratio is a sensible way to achieve that and don’t believe TBs model says so either.

He will probably see value signings with potential as the way forward. That’s all I meant.

Got it... and I agree... just a switch in focus to young HGP's, and away from foreign imports (not altogether), IMHO...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here