Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League finances: the full club-by-club breakdown and verdict

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Only the top 6 clubs + Everton pay out more on players wages.

6 years in the PL, zero investment in infrastructure (aside from a back-of-a-fag-packet design for a single new stand that'll never happen anyway), a total reliance on TV money, and a crippling wagebill that would see them go under if they ever dropped back into the Championship, with a squad of overpaid wastrels who nobody would touch with a bargepole because of the astonishing contracts they've been gifted.

Its a different kind of gambling I suppose.

Well said... did you miss their huge investment in state-of-the-art cladding!?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
we are well run in the Prem.

Issues are ( and same for most clubs ) , the championship isn't sustainable.

I guess the more prudent you can be in the prem then the longer you can prob absorb any losses in the Champ to try and return.

Yes, but the key is to not get relegated...

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
No one in the public domain has a handle on the benign nature of Bloom’s investment and always cites it as worrying.

Oh for the days when journalists actually bothered to do detailed analysis.
There are three people who could ask Brighton to pay the money back:

1. Tony Bloom.
2. Tony Bloom's creditors.
3. Tony Bloom's executors.

Tony Bloom won't be asking for money back unless he loses interest or is disillusioned; he may well have put a plan in place to write off the loans if he dies. But there's no way to ring fence the loan if he goes bankrupt, or if his other businesses struggle and he needs additional funding. That's the journalist's concern.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There are three people who could ask Brighton to pay the money back:

1. Tony Bloom.
2. Tony Bloom's creditors.
3. Tony Bloom's executors.

Tony Bloom won't be asking for money back unless he loses interest or is disillusioned; he may well have put a plan in place to write off the loans if he dies. But there's no way to ring fence the loan if he goes bankrupt, or if his other businesses struggle and he needs additional funding. That's the journalist's concern.

I went to a fans forum circa 2011 just before we moved into the Amex, and Southampton's owner had just died. One of the questions to Tony was about the money for the stadium if anything, God forbid, happened to him.
He chuckled and said it was ring fenced.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Forgot about that.

Oh, and I believe they've bought some mousetraps for the training ground kitchen.

Easy 10... always on it!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Was it Pal@rse by any chance? If so, I would be shocked!
The thing is that when the Yanks and then Prince Charming jump ship they will go owing millions. It’s so predictable. Admin 3.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What is interesting, to me anyway, is the level of wages to turnover. At 56% of turnover, we are (I think) the sixth lowest (and most of the others are the likes of the two Manchester clubs with their huge income). That smacks of real stability to me.

Yes it does, but sadly teh crazy nature of the League also means we are 19th out of 20 in terms of wages, and that smacks of relegation fight. Incredible we never spend any time in the bottom 3, we must have had one helluva manager ....

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes it does, but sadly teh crazy nature of the League also means we are 19th out of 20 in terms of wages, and that smacks of relegation fight. Incredible we never spend any time in the bottom 3, we must have had one helluva manager ....

He was great... but not great enough...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
with a squad of overpaid wastrels who nobody would touch with a bargepole because of the astonishing contracts they've been gifted.

That's not quite true: there's a lot of interest in AWB and Zaha would certainly attract suitors (although not at the £90m that Palace are reputedly asking). And Townsend been a revelation this year too - I thought he was one of the wastrels.

The rest? Meh

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Plucky little Bournemouth - 12th highest wage bill on their 10,000 gates. A true British Virgin Islands tax haven-based fairy tale.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That's not quite true: there's a lot of interest in AWB and Zaha would certainly attract suitors (although not at the £90m that Palace are reputedly asking). And Townsend been a revelation this year too - I thought he was one of the wastrels.

The rest? Meh

Zaha, Benteke and Sakho's wages are prohibitive, they're well and truly stuck with them. Townsend is a typical flaky winger, had a few good games this season (goal of the season at City) but nothing special, no better than Knocky and I wouldn't swap him for Solly.

Obi Wan-Bissaka is certainly their prize asset now, and he won't be on a kings ransom at the moment like the rest of their spongers, as they've not had to wave a vast wad of cash under his nose to tempt him to their fetid little south London griefhole. All he's ever known is that slum - I'd expect him to want to spread his wings soon, he'll want to be playing for a proper club before long.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Only the top 6 clubs + Everton pay out more on players wages.

6 years in the PL, zero investment in infrastructure (aside from a back-of-a-fag-packet design for a single new stand that'll never happen anyway), a total reliance on TV money, and a crippling wagebill that would see them go under if they ever dropped back into the Championship, with a squad of overpaid wastrels who nobody would touch with a bargepole because of the astonishing contracts they've been gifted.

Its a different kind of gambling I suppose.

Exactly. And resonating with my post on another thread (about our academy and investment in young overseas talent).

Sustainability (or the lack of) deffo becomes an issue when a club drops out of the PL (and Palace are clearly the most at risk) but it is also an issue if the club are backed by loans from a capricious owner. TB is as far from capricious as is imaginable. Abrahamovic, however......my what fun it would be to see what would happen to Chelsea if he gets fed up with being treated like a Romanian fruit picker who has overstayed his visa.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Zaha, Benteke and Sakho's wages are prohibitive, they're well and truly stuck with them. Townsend is a typical flaky winger, had a few good games this season (goal of the season at City) but nothing special, no better than Knocky and I wouldn't swap him for Solly.

Obi Wan-Bissaka is certainly their prize asset now, and he won't be on a kings ransom at the moment like the rest of their spongers, as they've not had to wave a vast wad of cash under his nose to tempt him to their fetid little south London griefhole. All he's ever known is that slum - I'd expect him to want to spread his wings soon, he'll want to be playing for a proper club before long.

Have I ever mentioned that I admire your prose? :bowdown::lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Figures now out. Albion income down about £1.7 million.

Premier League Distribution 2019.PNG

Premier League 2018 Distribution.PNG

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
El Pres, always a step ahead of sites like the Guardian churning out old data.

:bowdown:

Funnily enough I’ve been retweeted by David Conn today. He gets some stuck here but his work unveiling things at Leicester and elsewhere has been excellent investigative journalism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here