Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Last Season's Signings

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Last summer I like most on here was excited over the number of players we signed (including 3 signed in January), ultimately a case of quantity over quality.

We all have our own opinions on those we saw, however briefly, in the first team last season, but I was wondering what hope there is for the other group signed for the academy, most of us who know very little about them.

Is there any real hope that any of these listed below are likely to get a chane in the first team squad? I have no problem in us strengthening the U23/Academy squad but I for one really want to hope that at least one or two of these will make the transition to the first team squad sooner rather than later.

Does anybody know much about these players or whether they realistically have any chance to develop towards the first team squad?

Hugo Keto - Goalkeeper
Joe Tomlinson - Left back
Billy Acre - Winger
Anders Dreyer - Winger
Peter Gwargis - Midfield
Tudor Baluta - Midfield
Alexis Mac Allister - Midfield
Jan Mlakar - Forward
Stefan Ljubicic - Forward
Percy Tau - Forward
Bojan Radulovic - Forward

Most of us know a little about the saga of Percy Tau and the work permit issue, and many of the others have been out on loan last season, but are any of the above players ever likely to see a day in the Albion's 1st team?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Arce's loan out doesn't finish until December 31st.

Baluta is in the Romanian Cup Final this weekend.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We have an amazing recruitment team, that’s just been added to with the signing of Potters men. Can’t wait to see who we sign next.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Baluta is the one that interests me the most.

Only 20 years old but already picking up caps for a decent(ish) country. He’s an absolute unit but very comfortable on the ball and can play in midfield or defence. Seems like has a lot of desirable traits for a potential future Prem player.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hmmm... is NSC the best place to get an answer to the OP's question? I just don't think we can answer, not least because Chris really didn't give youth much of a chance...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Only 20 years old but already picking up caps for a decent(ish) country. He’s an absolute unit but very comfortable on the ball and can play in midfield or defence. Seems like has a lot of desirable traits for a potential future Prem player.
He's good on Football Manager (as are Mac Allister and particularly Mlakar), if that helps. :wink:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I thought Ljubicic and Tomlinson had been released recently.

You might be right. This though is part of the problem I have. We get very few updates as to how these players are getting on and during Chris's time in charge he virtually never mentioned whether any of them were getting close to first team consideration (those who weren't out on loan anyway).

With Potter coming in, especially with his background, I'm hoping at least a couple of these players may get a chance under him during the coming season.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Not to mention his mum!!!

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter

Sounds like we should be asking him to report to training ground first day of pre season to train with squad and given a run out in one of the friendlies and by your description someone who GP would fast track into 1st team squad if he likes what he sees

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
With the club working 3 years in advance it looks like the Academy have a good bunch to select from. Maybe it is only now that the club are in a position of confidence to reach deeper within itself and start taking the them more seriously. Potter must have 50 players to look at so he will be very busy with what we have acquired. If the recruitment has been right at both levels we should see good results if Potter is the right man.

This change is a good test for the club in its preparation strategy which has been many years of work in the making. Will it now pay off?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
With the club working 3 years in advance it looks like the Academy have a good bunch to select from. Maybe it is only now that the club are in a position of confidence to reach deeper within itself and start taking the them more seriously. Potter must have 50 players to look at so he will be very busy with what we have acquired. If the recruitment has been right at both levels we should see good results if Potter is the right man.

This change is a good test for the club in its preparation strategy which has been many years of work in the making. Will it now pay off?

I bl00dy hope so!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It has to pay off. On the one end of the footbal spectrum is Crewe, and at the other end is any team managed by Maureen. Not only will we never be a club that simply buys all the worlds most famous players, we shouldn't be, as it is an abuse of position and corrosive to the soul. But we have started something, and it is designed for a purpose - we may not understand what that purpose is yet but I am sure the club knows. My guess is a mix of players to grow and players to sell, with a view to the club growing and thriving. The alternative strategy, to spunk all the TV money on the biggest stars available is doomed to fail in the long run. I am hoping that next season's biggest spent spunkers will be Palace. Fulham did a pretty decent job of it last season, albeit boardroom panic and poor judgement sealed their fate.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Sounds like we should be asking him to report to training ground first day of pre season to train with squad and given a run out in one of the friendlies and by your description someone who GP would fast track into 1st team squad if he likes what he sees

Agreed. If I had to guess which youth players will make the step up next year, him and Gyokeres are the two I’d plump for.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Agreed. If I had to guess which youth players will make the step up next year, him and Gyokeres are the two I’d plump for.

Loan out Connolly and Gyorkes to Championship sides..get them playing, scoring etc then just like Chelsea and Liverpool either sell or get in 1st team.

Walton is an interesting one now as he has done the above and will be returning to us...again, either get him in matchday squad or sell him...( good money now)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here