Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Bank Holiday Working.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Her indoor's employed in a local 'care' home and this Sunday her shift is 'lates' 9pm to 7 am. Standard rate of pay but no lieu day is that legal ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Her indoor's employed in a local 'care' home and this Sunday her shift is 'lates' 9pm to 7 am. Standard rate of pay but no lieu day is that legal ?

Depends on the contract she signed, some companies will have in the contract that Bank Holidays are either Double Time or single time with a day in leu or even that its a standard working day.

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003

Do you mean Monday? Sunday is just a normal day. As a shift worker, I only get a day off in lieu awarded if I'm not scheduled to work the bank holiday as part of my normal shift pattern. If I work it, I get bank holiday pay rates, but no extra day off. If I choose not to work it, I get nowt.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Do you mean Monday? Sunday is just a normal day. As a shift worker, I only get a day off in lieu awarded if I'm not scheduled to work the bank holiday as part of my normal shift pattern. If I work it, I get bank holiday pay rates, but no extra day off. If I choose not to work it, I get nowt.

I thought you'd be retired by now and living in a retirement flat in Bexhill, wasnt that the plan :D
On a serious note, I only get Christmas day, Boxing day & New Years day off as part of my holiday entitlement, all other BH I just have to work within my shift pattern, i get nowt in lieu.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I thought you'd be retired by now and living in a retirement flat in Bexhill, wasnt that the plan :D
On a serious note, I only get Christmas day, Boxing day & New Years day off as part of my holiday entitlement, all other BH I just have to work within my shift pattern, i get nowt in lieu.

Lieu days are not nice.

I knew the prawn madras tasted off when I had the first mouthful. :(

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Used to mean nothing to me too - just a standard day but limited availability for a holiday day. Nowadays, however, no expectation to work them. Whole new world.

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Used to work in a (small family-run) care home, we paid double when doing well, but when funding started to fall it dropped to time and half. but only for the hours that fell on the bank holiday. So a 9pm-7am shift would be 3hrs sunday night + 7hrs monday morning + 7hrs bank holiday (or 3.5 when not doing well).

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Do you mean Monday not Sunday?

I think he means cause the shift goes into Monday morning. Some places will pay standard rate for the Sunday night up till midnight then an enhanced rate for any hours worked on the Monday once its ticked past midnight.

I used to do shift work and one of the shifts would start at 11pm on a Sunday night, if it was a Bank Holiday we'd have that shift off and have to start at 11pm on the Monday night.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I do shift work and I’m fortunate that my contract states that I get a lieu day irrespective if I work or not and if I do work I get double time as well. Contracts like this are quite rare these days.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I'm working nights this bank holiday weekend and it is all dependant on when the shift starts. I'll get my normal rate for Monday but a day in lieu but I could have chosen double bubble if I wanted. The real fun is when the clocks go back when I'm on nights, 13 hours work for 12 hours pay.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I'm working nights this bank holiday weekend and it is all dependant on when the shift starts. I'll get my normal rate for Monday but a day in lieu but I could have chosen double bubble if I wanted. The real fun is when the clocks go back when I'm on nights, 13 hours work for 12 hours pay.

I’ve had that...there’s nowt more depressing than literally watching the clocks go back and having to work another hour

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here