Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liam on Graham

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
The link isn't working.

But yes I've read it before and it's a very interesting read. I think Rosenior is going to be very happy with the appointment.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think it's just how the link has been shortened - try this (a simple google of Liam Rosenior Guardian Graham Potter worked)

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...r-ostersund-human-touch-arsenal-europa-league

If it doesn't work article is below :

Sir Bobby Robson, Terry Venables and Steve McClaren are three of a very select number of English coaches who were courageous enough to leave these shores and ply their trade in another country. They did so with varying success but the career of Graham Potter has added a new dimension to the achievements of English managers abroad.

The English managerial success story shunned by the Premier League
Read more

We should all watch with keen interest Arsenal’s Europa League tie with Östersund, not necessarily to see how the Premier League team perform but how Potter – the manager in the opposition dugout who has based all of his success with his team on being outside their comfort zone – fares. Potter, who had a decent if not glittering playing career mainly in the lower reaches of our English leagues, has won three promotions in the last six years with his club, culminating in winning the Swedish Cup in 2016-17 and therefore qualifying for this season’s Europa League.

Potter has a degree in social sciences and a master’s in leadership and emotional intelligence and took the brave step after coaching football at university level to accept his first role in management at a fourth-tier Swedish club with an average home attendance of 200 people in the middle of nowhere.

Now look at them, playing European football against illustrious opponents in Arsenal, and they will travel to compete in front of 60,000 fans at the Emirates Stadium in the second leg. The transformation of the club is the stuff of miracles but, when you look deeper into their success, you see the turnaround was achieved through being different, having a clear, consistent footballing identity and concentrating on the overall human culture within Östersund.

The method has been built by a coach who knew from his studies that success on the football pitch is guided by people first and players second. Take, for example, the introduction of the Östersund “cultural academy” where it is compulsory for players, coaches and staff to collaborate and perform songs, dances and theatrical productions for the public every year.

Graham Potter: ‘I’ve shown there’s another path for English managers’

What has that got to do with football, many people would understandably ask, but the overarching coaching philosophy of Potter is that taking people out of their comfort zone is an effective way to promote personal growth, increase players’ abilities to work together with empathy for each other and elevate confidence and self-esteem in the individual, all huge qualities needed when performing on a football pitch in front of tens of thousands of people.

The human element in football is too easily overlooked but I know from my years of experience in the game that the more empathy and the stronger the bond between team-mates, the more chance you have of reaching your goals. Potter’s and Östersund’s achievements have been built on a culture of improvement, focusing on all of the processes and with a foundation based around long-term success instead of only the short-term result; it is a combination of values, identity, realism and sustainable growth, something increasingly difficult to find not only in the English Premier League but in every league in our football pyramid.

We all look at Sir Alex Ferguson – and rightly so – as the best ever manager within our game but it was the foundations and improvements he put in place not only at the very start of his tenure at Manchester United but at Aberdeen and St Mirren too. The introduction of improved grassroots development and scouting of young players, the change in professionalism and culture and his influence and diligence in building each club from the bottom up secured him support at Old Trafford when results were not going his way early on but bore fruit in the long-term when the Class of 92 burst on to the scene, creating unprecedented and consistent success for years to come.

We have discussed for years where the next Ferguson may come from and the fact that opportunities and time to implement cultural and footballing philosophies are becoming harder to attain because of short-term thinking and the pressure to share in the financial rewards on offer for success now and not later.

So the fact that Potter has taken the brave route to leave this country and his own personal comfort zone in order to build something to be proud of in an unknown part of Sweden is something to be celebrated and respected. He may be the trailblazer of many frustrated, innovative coaches who, with the door shut firmly in their face here because of a “lack of experience” at first-team level, will look abroad to follow their passion and perform their own miracles all over the world.

It will be interesting to see how his career progresses and whether in time an English club owner will be “brave” or “crazy” enough not only to employ a man who has proved successful with his ideas in Scandinavia but to give him the time and patience needed for consistent, long-term success. For our own game to improve and grow we need coaches whose first thoughts are the processes in improvement and growth, like Potter now and Ferguson decades before him.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Liam Rosenior is a seriously intelligent individual who understands the dynamics of the modern game. I predict he will become a superb manager one day.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Liam Rosenior is a seriously intelligent individual who understands the dynamics of the modern game. I predict he will become a superb manager one day.

Not out of the question he'll be ours............would love that. He's definitely going to enjoy working under Potter based on that article.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Think it's just how the link has been shortened - try this (a simple google of Liam Rosenior Guardian Graham Potter worked)

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...r-ostersund-human-touch-arsenal-europa-league

If it doesn't work article is below :

Sir Bobby Robson, Terry Venables and Steve McClaren are three of a very select number of English coaches who were courageous enough to leave these shores and ply their trade in another country. They did so with varying success but the career of Graham Potter has added a new dimension to the achievements of English managers abroad.

The English managerial success story shunned by the Premier League
Read more

We should all watch with keen interest Arsenal’s Europa League tie with Östersund, not necessarily to see how the Premier League team perform but how Potter – the manager in the opposition dugout who has based all of his success with his team on being outside their comfort zone – fares. Potter, who had a decent if not glittering playing career mainly in the lower reaches of our English leagues, has won three promotions in the last six years with his club, culminating in winning the Swedish Cup in 2016-17 and therefore qualifying for this season’s Europa League.

Potter has a degree in social sciences and a master’s in leadership and emotional intelligence and took the brave step after coaching football at university level to accept his first role in management at a fourth-tier Swedish club with an average home attendance of 200 people in the middle of nowhere.

Now look at them, playing European football against illustrious opponents in Arsenal, and they will travel to compete in front of 60,000 fans at the Emirates Stadium in the second leg. The transformation of the club is the stuff of miracles but, when you look deeper into their success, you see the turnaround was achieved through being different, having a clear, consistent footballing identity and concentrating on the overall human culture within Östersund.

The method has been built by a coach who knew from his studies that success on the football pitch is guided by people first and players second. Take, for example, the introduction of the Östersund “cultural academy” where it is compulsory for players, coaches and staff to collaborate and perform songs, dances and theatrical productions for the public every year.

Graham Potter: ‘I’ve shown there’s another path for English managers’

What has that got to do with football, many people would understandably ask, but the overarching coaching philosophy of Potter is that taking people out of their comfort zone is an effective way to promote personal growth, increase players’ abilities to work together with empathy for each other and elevate confidence and self-esteem in the individual, all huge qualities needed when performing on a football pitch in front of tens of thousands of people.

The human element in football is too easily overlooked but I know from my years of experience in the game that the more empathy and the stronger the bond between team-mates, the more chance you have of reaching your goals. Potter’s and Östersund’s achievements have been built on a culture of improvement, focusing on all of the processes and with a foundation based around long-term success instead of only the short-term result; it is a combination of values, identity, realism and sustainable growth, something increasingly difficult to find not only in the English Premier League but in every league in our football pyramid.

We all look at Sir Alex Ferguson – and rightly so – as the best ever manager within our game but it was the foundations and improvements he put in place not only at the very start of his tenure at Manchester United but at Aberdeen and St Mirren too. The introduction of improved grassroots development and scouting of young players, the change in professionalism and culture and his influence and diligence in building each club from the bottom up secured him support at Old Trafford when results were not going his way early on but bore fruit in the long-term when the Class of 92 burst on to the scene, creating unprecedented and consistent success for years to come.

We have discussed for years where the next Ferguson may come from and the fact that opportunities and time to implement cultural and footballing philosophies are becoming harder to attain because of short-term thinking and the pressure to share in the financial rewards on offer for success now and not later.

So the fact that Potter has taken the brave route to leave this country and his own personal comfort zone in order to build something to be proud of in an unknown part of Sweden is something to be celebrated and respected. He may be the trailblazer of many frustrated, innovative coaches who, with the door shut firmly in their face here because of a “lack of experience” at first-team level, will look abroad to follow their passion and perform their own miracles all over the world.

It will be interesting to see how his career progresses and whether in time an English club owner will be “brave” or “crazy” enough not only to employ a man who has proved successful with his ideas in Scandinavia but to give him the time and patience needed for consistent, long-term success. For our own game to improve and grow we need coaches whose first thoughts are the processes in improvement and growth, like Potter now and Ferguson decades before him.

Excellent read and I hope that our very own visionary (TB) proves to be correct on this one. I am majorly optimistic though I can see the possibility of short term disappointment which will then come good given that unrealistic expectations don't take over in too short a term !

I can see that the article has been taken down but do we know when it was originally published ?

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Excellent read and I hope that our very own visionary (TB) proves to be correct on this one. I am majorly optimistic though I can see the possibility of short term disappointment which will then come good given that unrealistic expectations don't take over in too short a term !

I can see that the article has been taken down but do we know when it was originally published ?

It hasn't been taken down.....the link in my post works. 18th Feb 2018

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I don’t think it’s visionary at all. TB ensures that he has every single smidgeon of information at his fingertips in order to go about his business. He will know what he wants and who is best placed to get it for him. I reckon the data he maintains on everything football is just huge.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t think it’s visionary at all. TB ensures that he has every single smidgeon of information at his fingertips in order to go about his business. He will know what he wants and who is best placed to get it for him. I reckon the data he maintains on everything football is just huge.

I was referring to Liam’s observations when I suggested HE was a visionary.....maybe

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

When the data is huge, the issue then becomes the collation, organisation and interpretation of that huge data. We're lucky that Tony's good at those things too.

TB ensures that he has every single smidgeon of information at his fingertips in order to go about his business. He will know what he wants and who is best placed to get it for him. I reckon the data he maintains on everything football is just huge.

When the data is huge, the issue then becomes the collation, organisation and interpretation of that huge data. We're lucky that Tony's good at those things too.
Actually symyjym thinks TB knows f**k all about the playing side https://www.northstandchat.com/show...ur-year-deal&p=8915811&viewfull=1#post8915811

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
funnily enough no mention of Roy there...deliberate ? I would have thought he was the quintessential europhile football manager.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Visionary

Architects and gamblers don't think like that; delegate that bit to the analysts and organisers. It's a different ball game now. It would be good if we can get a playmaker in midfield. But even CH said that.

nickjhs

Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I was originally a bit pissed off with CH sacking, but then I remembered just how lucky some of those wins were early on in the season, Wolves comes straight to mind. Sure he managed to keep us up using desperate tactics (it kinda reminded me of a game I played in the scouts when we were so outclassed we tried running forward in unison to try and catch the opposition offside). After reading up on Potter he may be what we need, given that we have an excellent academy, a seriously under performing squad, a decent financial position, all things that can only help him change mindsets and get results.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Architects and gamblers don't think like that; delegate that bit to the analysts and organisers. It's a different ball game now. It would be good if we can get a playmaker in midfield. But even CH said that.

He is primarily a mathematician and he has made algorithms that analyse data for football betting and quickly calculating the best odds at a poker table. His lackeys will do all the grunt work collecting the data on football for him because there will be a massive amount of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here