Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt Clarke- Portsmouth defender **SIGNED and LOANED to DERBY**

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Corrected for you.

I thought we were nailed on to go down without a change personally. We'd won 3 in 23........tactically clueless (or at best one-dimensional).......bereft of confidence........unable to score.........creating absolutely nothing game after game and had lost our decent home record. For MONTHS.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought we were nailed on to go down without a change personally. We'd won 3 in 23........tactically clueless (or at best one-dimensional).......bereft of confidence........unable to score.........creating absolutely nothing game after game and had lost our decent home record. For MONTHS.

Beggars belief that some posters still don’t see it :shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Beggars belief that some posters still don’t see it :shrug:
After home debacles against all of Burnley, Southampton, Bournemouth, and Cardiff we were on a downward spiral to becoming the Huddersfield of next season.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
You know it's not healthy having a grudge that's going on this long. Most people were/are upset that Hughton's gone, but we now have to get behind the new Manager and team. Crying in the corner that he's gone is not going to bring him back, time to let it go and move on.

Who's crying?
We've had a month since the end of the season and, so far, we've recruited more managers than players.
Being linked with Rangers and Portsmouth players.
Oh and Villa went up too.

#Championshipready

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Who's crying?
We've had a month since the end of the season and, so far, we've recruited more managers than players.

#Championshipready

Getting a bit boring now .... who do you support by the way ? Palace ? Spurs ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Who's crying?

#Championshipready

Really!? Let it go TSB... the king is dead, long live the king...

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Who's crying?

#Championshipready

Sake. Confirmed transfers in in the PL so far this window :
Villa - 2 in (one from Birmingham, one from Lille). Nine players have left so they have a squad of about 15
Muff - 1 in (from Bristol City)
Burnley - 1 in (from Curzon Ashton)
Everton - 1 in (Lossl from Hudds)
Norwich - 1 in (loanee)
Spurs 1 in (from Notts County)
West Ham - 2 in (both free transfers)
Wolves - 2 in (one from Yeovil, one from Benfica)

No other team have signed anyone. Don't think it's quite time to panic just yet.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sake. Confirmed transfers in in the PL so far this window :
Villa - 2 in (one from Birmingham, one from Lille). Nine players have left so they have a squad of about 15
Muff - 1 in (from Bristol City)
Burnley - 1 in (from Curzon Ashton)
Everton - 1 in (Lossl from Hudds)
Norwich - 1 in (loanee)
Spurs 1 in (from Notts County)
West Ham - 2 in (both free transfers)
Wolves - 2 in (one from Yeovil, one from Benfica)

No other team have signed anyone. Don't think it's quite time to panic just yet.
Indeed.

27 days until we are on the plane to Austria. Just 3-5 incoming transfers, possibly.

If we get 2 in before take off we'll be doing fine.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

CH may have turned things around, but I think you're right: We were far more likely to carry that form into next season and end up stuck in the bottom 3 all season. Huddersfield only survived their first season because they made such a great start. They had a terrible second half of 17/18 and continued that into 18/19, and that's probably what TB feared for us.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
CH may have turned things around, but I think you're right: We were far more likely to carry that form into next season and end up stuck in the bottom 3 all season. Huddersfield only survived their first season because they made such a great start. They had a terrible second half of 17/18 and continued that into 18/19, and that's probably what TB feared for us.

Yep........he MIGHT have turned things round but TB obviously thought it was more likely that he wouldn't. Certainly didn't see any real sign of things improving so fully understand the decision.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Article in today’s Argus about Balogun and how another Connor Goldson situation is on the horizon. It’ll be made worse if we sign Clarke unless one of Dunk and Duffy are off.

Have to confess, probably unfairly given how little game time he’s had, that Balogun looks a big downgrade on Dunk and Duffy to me. Seems very error prone :shrug:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
Article in today’s Argus about Balogun and how another Connor Goldson situation is on the horizon. It’ll be made worse if we sign Clarke unless one of Dunk and Duffy are off.

Have to confess, probably unfairly given how little game time he’s had, that Balogun looks a big downgrade on Dunk and Duffy to me. Seems very error prone :shrug:

It says "it could be on the horizon" in the view of Andy Naylor writing the piece. Doesn't say "unless one of Dunk/Duffy are off" - there will be always be speculation about that , always is, but club have been pretty clear they intend to keep them.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/sp...nce-could-run-out-as-he-fights-for-game-time/

Its based on this interview on the Albion website which sounds pretty normal for someone who, under Hughton has been 4th choice.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2019/june/talking-to-leon-balogun/
"I'm not going to lie, it’s never easy, but as I said, you always have to be ready to play.
"All I can do is show my levels in training on a consistent basis, which I think I have done, and what that has done is also force those two (Dunk and Duffy) to up their games as well – that’s been my way of contributing to the team even when I’m not playing.
"That’s been a positive because for me, the team always comes first. It’s not nice to be on the bench, but I’m experienced enough to deal with that and there are other areas where you can help, maybe as a mentor to the younger players and to encourage the whole team in the dressing room.

It actually says about Clarke "The club remain keen on Portsmouth central defender Matt Clarke, although there has been no progress on clinching a deal at this stage."

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We can just about squeeze 5 central defenders into the squad, but if the 3rd/4th choice is getting restless with lack of game time then there seems little point to add another.

It would seem that Clarke is one to sign and then loan out for a year to the Championship - by which time Balogun is out of contract and further decisions can be made.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
We can just about squeeze 5 central defenders into the squad, but if the 3rd/4th choice is getting restless with lack of game time then there seems little point to add another.

Thats the skill of a manager with a 25 man squad. Throw in the desire for some on here to give u23s a try out and and its even harder.
Hughton was pretty good at dealing with that to be honest.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
If we can offload Balogun, get Clarke in and keep D&D and Burn I think that would be good buisness.

Based on the limited game time for both Balogun and Burn last season, Burn looked more assured to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here