Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt Clarke- Portsmouth defender **SIGNED and LOANED to DERBY**

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I think he's very similar to Tomori in that he's only a year off being a contender for a place in the Premier League - although that opinion is based only on the game at Crawley where he looked very classy because he didn't try and do anything silly. He did everything very simply and was comfortable in a 4 man defence, and a 3 man defence. He's obviously played a good number of games, been captain and led a side. He'll be a good signing for you, and loaning him there is a good investment from us in the player as well.

In a years time we're going to have both Clarke and White back with top end Championship experience, it's only going to help us.

you forgot to add 'back in the Championship' at the end of your post !!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Wahay another signing for sometime whenever.....so he is off to derby!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I know!

But we know what he is like from his time here, and I watched enough Derby games last season to see that he still has one ricket a game in him, either through slicing it into his own net, or falling asleep (the winning goal in the cup game here, a prime example of the latter).

:) He did get better... I do suspect he'll be in a top division this season either here or elsewhere. There we'll find out if he reaches his potential or be another Keogh, very good but too error prone to succeed in the PL

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I’m probably being completely naive, but why would Clarke get a transfer and then accept being loaned straight out to a lower club.
I can understand the U23’s loan stuff, but this transfer appeared to be a first team squad or first eleven move.

On a personal basis, does he get a choice or is he just told, you’re going off on loan.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I’m probably being completely naive, but why would Clarke get a transfer and then accept being loaned straight out to a lower club.
I can understand the U23’s loan stuff, but this transfer appeared to be a first team squad or first eleven move.

On a personal basis, does he get a choice or is he just told, you’re going off on loan.

Last season he was playing in League One; this season he'll be in a competitive team in the Championship, with the aim of next season playing in the Premier League.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Last season he was playing in League One; this season he'll be in a competitive team in the Championship, with the aim of next season playing in the Premier League.

For him personally though, he’s joined the club with a fanfare, played in a couple of friendlies then told - actually we’re loaning you out. Seems strange he would just accept that.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
For him personally though, he’s joined the club with a fanfare, played in a couple of friendlies then told - actually we’re loaning you out. Seems strange he would just accept that.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that this was the agreed plan (or thereabouts) at the time of him signing - it's really a win/win for all concerned (assuming we don't suddenly need his services in the First team...).

Imagine if next year we're batting away offers of £25M for our young, proven Championship level HGP, who only cost us £5M. Would we be getting the same offers for a young bit-part PL benchwarmer?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
It's not beyond the realms of possibility that this was the agreed plan (or thereabouts) at the time of him signing - it's really a win/win for all concerned (assuming we don't suddenly need his services in the First team...).

Imagine if next year we're batting away offers of £25M for our young, proven Championship level HGP, who only cost us £5M. Would we be getting the same offers for a young bit-part PL benchwarmer?

Only this club is mental enough to offer £25M for a Championship level defender.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Only this club is mental enough to offer £25M for a Championship level defender.

Christ on a bike, TSB, give it a rest.
Perhaps you should follow your 'hindsight voice' and transfer your 'support' to the next club that Chris Hughton manages.
I'm sure he would welcome such a positive vibe!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Christ on a bike, TSB, give it a rest.
Perhaps you should follow your 'hindsight voice' and transfer your 'support' to the next club that Chris Hughton manages.
I'm sure he would welcome such a positive vibe!

If you don't like my content, perhaps you should stop following me around the board.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
If you don't like my content, perhaps you should stop following me around the board.

Don't overestimate the pulling power of your posts, TSB.
I don't suppose anyone follows you around the board, it is just that your continued negativity just leaps out at us more balanced posters, and now and again we can't resist pointing out what a strange attitude you have towards the club you reckon to support.
That is all. No stalking involved!:wink::thumbsup:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Oh yeah, typical Brighton. SPLASHING THE CASH

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here