Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt Clarke- Portsmouth defender **SIGNED and LOANED to DERBY**

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not sure I can fully buy into a 25 page frenzy over a 3rd division centreback, all a bit meh tbh. I'm sure he'll bolster the U23's next season though.

It is an interesting one though, as Ben White was also playing L1 football last year....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Not sure I can fully buy into a 25 page frenzy over a 3rd division centreback, all a bit meh tbh. I'm sure he'll bolster the U23's next season though.

I’m putting it down to the lack of real transfer activity that some how this has reached this level..... I’m sure the Dan Burn one didn’t.

However looks an OK buy..... right now I’m not sure what to make of any players we sign as I haven’t got a clue how we are going to play.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If we are playing 3-5-2 he could easily go straight into the first team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Potter might have this in mind but he played 3 at the back with Swansea only a handful of times last season.
The credible reporting for this signing says he's there , because there is an assumption that Balogun is tired of limited opportunities.
Also Ben White looking likely to be loaned out again.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Hardly any of the posts on this thread have been about the merits of Clarke or the signing.
Frenzy - its not. Also Ironic i guess that there's a prevailing view on NSC on multiple threads about hoping Potter might develop youth, and bring in more English players.
And yet this signing "all a bit meh"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hardly any of the posts on this thread have been about the merits of Clarke or the signing.
Frenzy - its not. Also Ironic i guess that there's a prevailing view on NSC on multiple threads about hoping Potter might develop youth, and bring in more English players.
And yet this signing "all a bit meh"

I'm just hoping that we have a few more irons in the fire than a young noddy league centreback. Decent prospects are fine, but we're clearly going to need to sign some genuine quality and experience if we're going to make a fist of it this season, THATS what I'm waiting to see.

I'm sure its all in hand though.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Obviously not very exciting news but nice for us to be in a position where we are buying Pompey's best young player off them.

The fee is relative peanuts by PL standards. Good luck to the Hampshire minnows - spend it wisely.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I'm just hoping that we have a few more irons in the fire than a young noddy league centreback. Decent prospects are fine, but we're clearly going to need to sign some genuine quality and experience if we're going to make a fist of it this season, THATS what I'm waiting to see.

I am another who is very Meh about this potential signing. Seems pointless to me unless Balogun is off. Frankly if Potter can turn the ponderous defensive, fearful team from the last 6 months into some attacking, vibrant goal scoring success without serious investment in midfield and forward areas then it wont be long before Real Madrid come calling for his services. I hope that is well in hand.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
So let me get this right....

Leeds wanted Clarke, we got Clarke. Leeds now want White, so we(look likely to) loan White to Leeds. Might've been easier to keep White and let them have Clarke- guess time will tell how much better Clarke is...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So let me get this right....

Leeds wanted Clarke, we got Clarke. Leeds now want White, so we(look likely to) loan White to Leeds. Might've been easier to keep White and let them have Clarke- guess time will tell how much better Clarke is...
But we'll now have both White and Clarke on the books, even if White is temporarily loaned out.

This will be handy when Balogun is out of contract next summer.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Nah, that'll be job done for this window. The de-mob happy recruitment staff were all seen skipping out of Lancing last night singing 'we're all off to sunny Spain!' and wishing each other all the best until December.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Only thing that worries me is that Ryan doesn't dominate the box physically, which is somewhat compensated by the imposing Dunk 'n' Duffy partnership and although I've never seen Clarke play, I'm a little concerned over set pieces. Having said that, he is obviously a top talent and I will trust the club on this one.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Well who knows if they are a success or a failure , all signings are a risk - but idea we won’t be looking to make several big acquisitions is pretty far fetched.
We bid £16m for a player the other day for starters.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I am another who is very Meh about this potential signing. Seems pointless to me unless Balogun is off. Frankly if Potter can turn the ponderous defensive, fearful team from the last 6 months into some attacking, vibrant goal scoring success without serious investment in midfield and forward areas then it wont be long before Real Madrid come calling for his services. I hope that is well in hand.

Yep. I’m sure that’s Albion’s recruitment done for 2019. See you in January.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Yep. I’m sure that’s Albion’s recruitment done for 2019. See you in January.

Not at all what I was saying but feel free jump into club defence mode. I will say again, I see little to get excited by in this signing since the truly important work is still to come. Personally I would like to see some inroads made into that soon since training starts in a week or so. This signing will likely make no difference to our survival chances next season, the ones to come, soon I hope, will.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I’ve got him down as playing the left side of a three if Dunk is central. Balogun & Burn would not suit that position in my opinion.

Potter played 3 at the back a handful of times last season. He might be considering that for 19/20 but idea that’s its likely and Clarke is going straight into the starting 11 is quite the assumption.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not at all what I was saying but feel free jump into club defence mode. I will say again, I see little to get excited by in this signing since the truly important work is still to come. Personally I would like to see some inroads made into that soon since training starts in a week or so. This signing will likely make no difference to our survival chances next season, the ones to come, soon I hope, will.

Having depth in our squad is also crucial to our survival chances.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's a good strategy to buy the Dunk and Duffy replacements ( Clarke and Burn ) well in advance rather than in a panic at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here