Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt Clarke- Portsmouth defender **SIGNED and LOANED to DERBY**

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
Lots of people seem to be saying this signing implies a CB will leave. I’m leaning more towards the idea that our Graham wants to play three at the back, in which case he would need five to choose from.

Exactly. He leaned towards 5-3-2 (or 3-5-2 whichever you want to call it) at Osterunds. It is a very flexible formation. At Swansea he played 4 at the back but that was primarily due to lack of personnel. Could be that signing Matt Clarke indicates one formation that Graham Potter will be adopting in the forthcoming season. Could easily be how we set up away from home (and probably at home too for some opposition).

:bhasign:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Whoopie Doo. Fantastic that priority is to ensure our 6th CB has natural left foot when our only proven striker is 35, slow, and past his sell by date.

Well you need to start thinking outside the box then and consider the advantages of playing players on their natural side and enabling better service to the strikers. It would make logical sense to play Dunk as RCB and Clarke as LCB for them to be able to long pass or cross the ball into the box with their stronger foot. If we are thinking about going three at the back then Duffy would slot nicely in between them.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Well you need to start thinking outside the box then and consider the advantages of playing players on their natural side and enabling better service to the strikers. It would make logical sense to play Dunk as RCB and Clarke as LCB for them to be able to long pass or cross the ball into the box with their stronger foot. If we are thinking about going three at the back then Duffy would slot nicely in between them.

Fair point, my comment was deliberately somewhat overstated reaction to first signing being in a position that, on the face of it, we are very well covered. And, of course, one CB may leave. But improved service (and I am not sure CBs cross very often) is no good if we don't improve the recipient end. If we don't score more goals per game next season than we managed in second half of last season (0.74), we will be relegated. Sure the team are well onto it, though...

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Just about to do an on-line shop.Is it too early to order Pringles for the new striker thread yet?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
When Potter was spotted at Fratton Park while he was still Swansea manager was he looking to sign Matt Clarke for Swansea or Brighton, or does he rate him so highly he thought I like him in my team at any COST?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Centre backs + The Albion = Catnip.
Centre Forwards + The Albion = Kryptonite.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fair point, my comment was deliberately somewhat overstated reaction to first signing being in a position that, on the face of it, we are very well covered. And, of course, one CB may leave. But improved service (and I am not sure CBs cross very often) is no good if we don't improve the recipient end. If we don't score more goals per game next season than we managed in second half of last season (0.74), we will be relegated. Sure the team are well onto it, though...

Actually, improved service 'to the recipient end' would make a difference, even with our existing strike force. Murray, Andone, Locadia, Connolly - all will score a percentage of the chances they get (some a higher percentage than others, obviously) so improved service - i.e. a greater number of chances presented - would mean more goals scored.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't also be looking to improve our attacking options - of course we should - but in that respect I still think midfield is a greater priority than strikers. Remind me, how prolific were our midfielders in front of goal last season?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Actually, improved service 'to the recipient end' would make a difference, even with our existing strike force. Murray, Andone, Locadia, Connolly - all will score a percentage of the chances they get (some a higher percentage than others, obviously) so improved service - i.e. a greater number of chances presented - would mean more goals scored.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't also be looking to improve our attacking options - of course we should - but in that respect I still think midfield is a greater priority than strikers. Remind me, how prolific were our midfielders in front of goal last season?

Murray, Hemed and to an extent Connolly have all scored at a consistent rate, but increasing the quality of their chances would enable them to score more often. I think though we could see Andone being the key man next season

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Just really pleased that he is “over the moon” with joining our club...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Murray, Hemed and to an extent Connolly have all scored at a consistent rate, but increasing the quality of their chances would enable them to score more often. I think though we could see Andone being the key man next season

I think that Locadia will also show why we signed him and show his true worth.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Find it hard to understand that so many still consider Murray as part of our plans and now adding Hemed to this. Nobody doubts that Murray is as good as anybody in putting chances away. We now need someone who as well as doing this can create own chances by faster movement and able to beat defender to ball. I can still remember the game when he was clear but knowing he would be caught up came back and laid ball off.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think though we could see Andone being the key man next season

I'd just be grateful if he could get through ninety minutes without having us all fearing he's on the brink of a red card.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here