Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt Clarke- Portsmouth defender **SIGNED and LOANED to DERBY**

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Single player transfers in closed season rarely happen in isolation. Like home sales, they tend to happen as part of a connected chain. I repeat what I heard, which is the Clarke purchase was good for two key reasons, one it helps our complement of home grown players, and two it offers extra insurance should we lose a left sided centre back. Clarke was not purchased as an intended starter now. For the two reasons above, it gives us the option/freedom to replace a starting CB with a European import., should that need arise....

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8960364 said:
Probably already been mentioned but can't be assed to read the whole thread.... but last season with Swansea Potter did sometimes play with 3 at the back so presumably we'd need 4 centre backs in the match day squad sometimes.

We've got Dunk, Duffy, Balogun, Burn, White and perhaps Bernardo which would only leave one-two CBs as cover which is the bare minimum I'd say and presuming White steps into the first team picture. I'd imagine if Balogun wants more first football elsewhere Clarke is a replacement for him.

Not convinced that we'd pick four CBs in a match-day squad. Potter likes to shift things around both between and within games, so he'd probably want to cater for plural formations with the 18. Also factor in there are certain players that can play multiple positions -- Baluta is one, Clarke, I think, another.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Not convinced that we'd pick four CBs in a match-day squad. Potter likes to shift things around both between and within games, so he'd probably want to cater for plural formations with the 18. Also factor in there are certain players that can play multiple positions -- Baluta is one, Clarke, I think, another.

If we were starting with say Dunk, Duffy and Burn you don't think he'd have another CB on the bench in case of injury?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Do you think he will (if signed) be included in the first team squad as only 22 years of age, or spend a season in the U23's?

If he is to be included in the full first team squad, will this signing be seen as a way of increasing our 'Uk based developed players' numbers up?
He'll be in the 25 man squad. Or loaned out to the Championship for a half/full season.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
My only criticism of this signing is his name. Absolutely no flair in it what so ever. Would it not be possible to slightly change it to something like Matteo Clarkez?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Understand Matt Clarke deal is around £4.7m initially, rising to £6.7m with add-ons. 20% sell-on fee too. Brighton were the only club with real interest and will reward the talented defender with circa £20k per week. - taken from Pompeynewsnow on Twitter.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Understand Matt Clarke deal is around £4.7m initially, rising to £6.7m with add-ons. 20% sell-on fee too. Brighton were the only club with real interest and will reward the talented defender with circa £20k per week. - taken from Pompeynewsnow on Twitter.

[tweet]1141405454934953984[/tweet]

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

There is a tweet in response to that that reads "Works out in our favour as Ipswich will get just under 20% initial fee, but add ins will be ours solely. Good business"

Does anyone know if that is true (ie that Ipswich's sell-on only applies to the initial fee that the subsequent buying club - Albion - pay, and not the add-ons)?

Surely Ipswich's sell-on will apply to ANY fee that Albion end up paying to Portsmouth?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8960378 said:
If we were starting with say Dunk, Duffy and Burn you don't think he'd have another CB on the bench in case of injury?

I'd doubt we'd see those three starting but, even if we did, I think I answered your question in the post you're responding to (ie, no) and offered a rationale as to why.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It seems considerable bunse for someone with one good season in league one to his name. Pompey fans rate him though.
Probably the end for Balogun, who looks a decent player to me

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There is a tweet in response to that that reads "Works out in our favour as Ipswich will get just under 20% initial fee, but add ins will be ours solely. Good business"

Does anyone know if that is true (ie that Ipswich's sell-on only applies to the initial fee that the subsequent buying club - Albion - pay, and not the add-ons)?

Surely Ipswich's sell-on will apply to ANY fee that Albion end up paying to Portsmouth?

Yep I make you right. Otherwise clubs can sell for £1 and say there’s an add on fee of £30million if he makes 1 appearance - that’s twitter for you and people who don’t understand logic / football.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure I can fully buy into a 25 page frenzy over a 3rd division centreback, all a bit meh tbh. I'm sure he'll bolster the U23's next season though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here