Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] British steel

abc

Jan 6, 2007
People can turn this into (actually pointless) key board arguments about Brexit but the thousands of people who will lose their livelihoods will have slightly more urgent concerns. The double tragedy is that there will be nobody in Westminster to help them. Corbyn's answer is to nationalise which will simply result in a death by a thousand cuts and the end result will be the same. The Tories under the likes of Johnson or Reese Mogg will be so far to the right that they simply wont care and will happily 'let the people burn'. We have no idea on NSC what those in Scunthorpe are going through now or how difficult their future is likely to be.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
People can turn this into (actually pointless) key board arguments about Brexit but the thousands of people who will lose their livelihoods will have slightly more urgent concerns. The double tragedy is that there will be nobody in Westminster to help them. Corbyn's answer is to nationalise which will simply result in a death by a thousand cuts and the end result will be the same. The Tories under the likes of Johnson or Reese Mogg will be so far to the right that they simply wont care and will happily 'let the people burn'. We have no idea on NSC what those in Scunthorpe are going through now or how difficult their future is likely to be.
You have some idea as I can tell you. Am on the works now. The morale ain't great but we are still working and still hoping for a buyer. We are still making a profit and have been over the 3 years of Greybull control.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On this one can't see how Brexit is to blame?

They say they have lost export markets - yet the fall in Sterling has made exports between 15 -20% cheaper?

I think the world oversupply of Steel, hence falling prices globally, and cheap Chinese Steel are more the problem.

Steel is ordered well in advance of supply. Uncertainty of future steel tariffs outside of the EU has caused their EU exports to dry up.

Brexit has clearly paid a part in their current struggle. Scunthorpe voted leave. I guess they should stop grizzling, get over it.....after all they won and will be able to sell their lovely steel to all these new markets which will open up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People can turn this into (actually pointless) key board arguments about Brexit but the thousands of people who will lose their livelihoods will have slightly more urgent concerns..

True. But it isn’t exactly rocket science that if you become less competitive to a key customer it will cause you problems. This is clear.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Steel is ordered well in advance of supply. Uncertainty of future steel tariffs outside of the EU has caused their EU exports to dry up.

Brexit has clearly paid a part in their current struggle. Scunthorpe voted leave. I guess they should stop grizzling, get over it.....after all they won and will be able to sell their lovely steel to all these new markets which will open up.

I can only go by my own experience and my company. (We export HVAC materials, including Steel Pipe.)

Since 23.06.16, because of the fall in Sterling against both € and $ we have experienced a big increase in Orders.

I'm not saying Brexit is a good, or bad thing, just stating facts that because of exchange rates, most companies that export have seen a significant increase in export business.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think we should always have a finger in this pie even at a cost. If the government is helping to pay the staff, that money still goes back into our economy and is taxed every time it changes hands it doesn't make it such a huge expense if the alternative is paying out 5,000 claims of benefits. It's an industry we cannot afford to lose because once it is gone it will be gone forever.

Maybe one day when we have to start producing our own steel again we will have to bring over a Chinese firm to build the machines and teach us.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Tbh there ain't really anything can be done from my level. Am only an electrician. Am also quite lucky that I don't live in Scunthorpe where it will pinch the hardest. I know the knock on effect will spread to Doncaster and to a degree the rest of the UK. Also I have only been here 2 and a half years only since this January on the books. I should be able to drop back into contracting though I did close my limited company when I started here. The 3 buyers I previously mentioned don't sound as interested as we were led to believe. Liberty are only interested in the rod mill from what I gather. For now though we are still carrying on business as usual and keeping fingers cross on a new backer.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Tata wouldn’t be that interested, I would have been surprised liberty were at all interested in anything else. The row mill was probably the most profitable area of the business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here