Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton statement

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Paul Barber said that Chris Hughton was doing a great job and all expected of him, and he was sacked shortly after.

If nothing else, I would have though the Hughton sacking might have you a bit more guarded on your general approach of "He said X, therefore X is true".

(That said, I do agree that it seems Chris Hughton was probably surprised to be sacked as he was)

In other news: this article aged quickly and badly didn't it - https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17...b-done-by-chris-hughton-since-joining-albion/ - particularly this line "Hughton has lost the support of impatient and over-demanding minority pockets of the fanbase."

I guess this is another thread that's wandered off in to "should he have been sacked" territory. FWIW I also think Chris *was* surprised and that article shows why. He'd just had the backing of the CEO. What Naylor thought in that piece turned out to be wrong but then, based on it and the stuff from PB that was pasted on here, I expected CH to stay as well, despite being an "outer" on the polls. I've looked back at the very many messages I exchanged with people on the day he went and only one or two weren't shocked. That doesn't mean there wasn't good reason BTW but that it seemed to many that CH had ridden out the bad period and the top brass were preparing to draw a line under it.

Funnily enough, this came up in conversation a day or two back, and my guess is that he may well have been surprised also.

Yeah, mine too, because when you read back what he said there's no a hint of it. But other hints of it - Dwayne's Potter thread the prime example - did exist, hence how this thread has taken off.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So if Palace had lost to Cardiff, would you then say he had "sent us down".
No, because United would have had to field a stronger side in the last game, and Cardiff wouldn't have won it, so we'd not have been sent down.

How can he have both "kept us up", and "sent us down" with the exact same set of results. It was out of his hands. He did neither of those things.
Although I don't think we'd have gone down, I do agree with your point that going down can be out of your hands, and you end up judged on the results of others.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
No, because United would have had to field a stronger side in the last game, and Cardiff wouldn't have won it, so we'd not have been sent down.

Although I don't think we'd have gone down, I do agree with your point that going down can be out of your hands, and you end up judged on the results of others.

Why would United have had to field a stronger side?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why would United have had to field a stronger side?
They made changes and knew that their game was meaningless. Had their game affected which team was relegated, they'd have had to do their best to win it, for the integrity of the league.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
They made changes and knew that their game was meaningless. Had their game affected which team was relegated, they'd have had to do their best to win it, for the integrity of the league.

Maybe. Maybe they would have lost anyway, who knows. It's not like they were in form, and Cardiff had everything to play for.

We'll never know anyway.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Quite possibly the first time someone's ever put Manchester United and the integrity of the league in to the same premise.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Of course not but a) it’s Chris Hughton and b) he’s a football manager. He’s not on trial.

I'm not really sure what your point is?

You think I should take his word as gospel, I think he's released a statement that, in summary, is just good PR and as a result I don't believe he was shocked. But honestly, I don't really care either way whether he was or not.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So if Palace had lost to Cardiff, would you then say he had "sent us down". How can he have both "kept us up", and "sent us down" with the exact same set of results. It was out of his hands. He did neither of those things.
Yes, yes I would. It would have meant he'd failed to get enough points over the course of the season to keep us up.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So if Palace had lost to Cardiff, would you then say he had "sent us down". How can he have both "kept us up", and "sent us down" with the exact same set of results. It was out of his hands. He did neither of those things.

A relegation battle is always out of your hands as you're always looking for someone being worse than you. If you have enough points and survive, you have been kept up, not enough, you've been taken down.

It is always a fact you are relying on other teams results, how can it not be in a relegation fight? :shrug:

If you stay up just through the strength of your own results, you're not in a relegation fight.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm just surprised you can't take what he says in good faith. Its Chris Hughton.
But clearly you don't. So fair enough.

What did you expect a statement on his behalf to say?

"I'm not shocked at all that I got sacked because, let's all be honest, the second half of the season has been a train wreck and I've taken the club as far as I can. It's also clear from the lack of progress of many of our players that my coaching methods need to be moved on from. Furthermore, I totally understand why TB doesn't want to watch anymore of the dire, horrifically pragmatic football that I've been serving up for two years. I had a great time though and the seaside at Brighton is lovely. Hopefully another Premier League club will look at our form over the last 5 months and give me another job as I've never been relegated."

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

"I'm not shocked at all that I got sacked because, let's all be honest, the second half of the season has been a train wreck and I've taken the club as far as I can. It's also clear from the lack of progress of many of our players that my coaching methods need to be moved on from. Furthermore, I totally understand why TB doesn't want to watch anymore of the dire, horrifically pragmatic football that I've been serving up for two years. I had a great time though and the seaside at Brighton is lovely. Hopefully another Premier League club will look at our form over the last 5 months and give me another job as I've never been relegated."

well not that.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

To be fair, that's an ideal statement! Nice balance between self-depricating, obvious truth and grounds to think that he will consider how he coaches in future. Personally, I just think he needs to set his ambitions a bit higher and show more belief in his squad of players. I also wonder whether Trollope and Nevin were actually any good coaching the players or not, nobody really improved whilst playing for us so I think it's reasonable to ask whether there's actually much quality in that management group.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
To be fair, that's an ideal statement! Nice balance between self-depricating, obvious truth and grounds to think that he will consider how he coaches in future. Personally, I just think he needs to set his ambitions a bit higher and show more belief in his squad of players. I also wonder whether Trollope and Nevin were actually any good coaching the players or not, nobody really improved whilst playing for us so I think it's reasonable to ask whether there's actually much quality in that management group.

Nailed. It.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
AJ just looked a bit confused to what he was meant to be doing on the pitch, a golden boot winner really can’t look that bad can he?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
In our first few “home“ matches at Gillingham, could anyone see us being anything other than a lower division club?

I get the sentiment, but I think working your way through leagues of teams who are roughly on our par, to those with vastly inflated bank balances and influence etc is a bit different.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I have that view because I want to enjoy watching football, not enjoy players, owners etc making money. There is no certainty in life but if you had two buttons in front of you and one guaranteed playing in the PL for 10 seasons but only ever finishing 17th until the last when you are relegated and the other guaranteed alternate years in the PL and Championship, ie you had about 5 promotion seasons but still end in the championship. Which button would you press?

Anyone other than Boris Johnson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here