Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton statement

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm surprised so many people seem to have sight of what I'd expect to be confidential internal club documents with regard to staff targets.

The club might want to take a look at their information and data security...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Would've always been a dignified response from Chris Hughton.
He remains an Albion legend in getting us to the PL.
Its TB train set, so something had to give.
Chris Hughtons time at the Albion, will be a big + on his CV, in walking straight into another job.:bowdown:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Would've always been a dignified response from Chris Hughton.
He remains an Albion legend in getting us to the PL.
Its TB train set, so something had to give.
Chris Hughtons time at the Albion, will be a big + on his CV, in walking straight into another job.:bowdown:

Much better for him to be sacked now instead of maybe at Christmas when we were like Huddersfield

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nice to see the bcc has only managed to extract one line from CH from the LMA statement, suites their agender I suppose

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48363892

Not really sure it's an agenda – given the 'vanilla' nature of the LMA statement, it was pretty much the only angle they could go with. 'Chris Hughton releases statement after sacking' is hardly going draw the reader in, is it? :shrug:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Top 10 is my SHORT TERM target for us. :shrug:

All this about CH did what was required, i.e keep us up, people seem to be forgetting that Bruno let slip at the beginning of the season that the target is 10th.

Another reason he was sacked, presumably.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If it all goes pear shaped in the near future, a lot of people may be quite happy for CH to return for a 2nd stint at the club. The way his tenure ended though means he probably wont be so keen judging from his statement.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
If it all goes pear shaped in the near future, a lot of people may be quite happy for CH to return for a 2nd stint at the club.

I for one wouldn't. On the basis of 1) Never go back and 2) CH has proven himself to be great at getting a side out of The Championship, but not progressing much beyond that.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
If it all goes pear shaped in the near future, a lot of people may be quite happy for CH to return for a 2nd stint at the club. The way his tenure ended though means he probably wont be so keen judging from his statement.

You are having a laugh aren't you?
Wrong on so many fronts!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
A bit like his press conferences and post match interviews, this tells you nothing. Pointless platitudes. That does not detract from the fact that he did very well for us for a long time and for that, I am thankful. I know he'll be relieved.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He'll easily get another role.

It is such a shame it was by sacking and not by mutual consent. That said, bit of a pointless statement really - of course you would be disappointed by being sacked...

Better for Chris to be sacked, he gets paid up that way. Mutual consent is asking the Manager to agree that he has been shite, the club needs to get someone else in, and he does not deserve to be paid the remainder of his contract.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not really sure it's an agenda – given the 'vanilla' nature of the LMA statement, it was pretty much the only angle they could go with. 'Chris Hughton releases statement after sacking' is hardly going draw the reader in, is it? :shrug:
As a headline, sure, but they didn't include anything else from his statement in the report, and IMO, they should have.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I for one wouldn't. On the basis of 1) Never go back and 2) CH has proven himself to be great at getting a side out of The Championship, but not progressing much beyond that.
That's true, he's got clubs out of the Championship a few times, but has failed time and time again to get them out of the Premier League.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He has every right to put something on record, usual dignified approach. For me the biggest thing there was the absence of any specific reference to board and chairman, with whom he has also had a very good relationship though you can understand why this has soured it.

Did a fantastic job for vast majority of his time with us, trust he will back in a good job very soon.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Because his assistant manager and coach were sacked as well. I couldn't see Chris resigning and leaving his crew in the lurch.

You’ll just have to trust me regarding the sauce but I’m reasonably certain that Trollope at least knew he’d go if CH did and wasn’t about to make long term plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ok. Perhaps because he'd been given support publicly by the board leading up to the Man City game, perhaps because he was already preparing for a summer of recruitment, perhaps because he'd already started that by giving Bong a new contract, and perhaps because although he'd obviously felt under pressure during that last 5 months of disappointing results - he'd convinced himself that he'd made the case to Bloom/Barber for being given more time and a strengthened squad for 2019/20. He'd also met their target of keeping the club up.
Nobody is saying that Bloom didn't have a case for ending things (3 wins in 23 etc) but Hughton disappointed/surprised. Well yes. Weren't you ?

CH didn’t give Bong a new contract, the club did. TB (in consultation with the expert Ashworth) would’ve made the ultimate decision, on committing the club financially.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here