Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton statement

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm getting a bit angry about this message that is doing the rounds unchallenged...

“He has helped transform Brighton & Hove Albion, from fighting relegation to League One."

Yes, we were headed down the table, thanks to the disastrous tenure of Hyypia. However, the squad that Chris inherited was not broken. We had competed for play off finals in previous seasons under Gus and Oscar. The players, backroom and club management were all strong.

There is this underlying idea going around that Chris single-handily rescued the club from oblivion and took them into the Premier League. That simply isn't true, and yet it's easy twitter feed.

Chris played a hugely important role in a club full of talented and committed individuals who have brought Brighton its success to date. I'll be ever thankful for him, but he did not do it alone and he did not walk into a club that was in free fall.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The target was to preserve Premier League status with a bottom three. This was achieved.

And I'm afraid for a club like ours that must continue to be the only target for the next few years. For the size of our club abd the limited playing budget we have Chris Hughton did a brilliant job.

I'm so sorry this decision was made Chris.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I’ve been told the firing took place at the end of season ‘pow wow’ on that Monday morning and he genuinely had know clue it was coming.....

This makes me think even more that it was the right decision. For him to not have any idea that we were on a massive downward spiral in terms of performances and morale towards the end of this season suggests he wouldn't be the right man to sort it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
And I'm afraid for a club like ours that must continue to be the only target for the next few years. For the size of our club abd the limited playing budget we have Chris Hughton did a brilliant job.

I'm so sorry this decision was made Chris.

Or for ever?

Can anyone seriously think we will ever be anything but a bottom 6-8 club? We haven’t the money to compete with the big boys and therefore we can only look to be a Burnley or Bournemouth.

Leicester was an absolute fluke in the general scheme of things...and to be honest they are miles better team than we are anyway.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This makes me think even more that it was the right decision. For him to not have any idea that we were on a massive downward spiral in terms of performances and morale towards the end of this season suggests he wouldn't be the right man to sort it.

Results hadn't been good since the start of the year, but to say we were on a massive downward spiral is an equally massive exaggeration in my opinion.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Results hadn't been good since the start of the year, but to say we were on a massive downward spiral is an equally massive exaggeration in my opinion.

In terms of performance I don't think it is. We were breaking records for goalless runs, runs of losing at home etc.

Some of the worst football I've seen us play in a long, long time. That first half against Newcastle was diabolical.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Or for ever?

Can anyone seriously think we will ever be anything but a bottom 6-8 club? We haven’t the money to compete with the big boys and therefore we can only look to be a Burnley or Bournemouth.

Leicester was an absolute fluke in the general scheme of things...and to be honest they are miles better team than we are anyway.

Absolutely correct. In saying 'for the next few years' I was trying to appease some of the idiots on here who seem to think we should be fighting for a place in Europe by now.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Of course CH was acutely aware of our results and performances. Probably more than anyone. Its like saying that fans or indeed journalists, that think Bloom has made a mistake, couldn't possibly have watched a game in 6 months or be aware of the form table. Bloom is not known to be a trigger happy chairman, had given Chris no idea, and Hughton had after everything kept Albion up (his target) so of course he's right to be surprised at being sacked. Few saw it coming. Even the more vocal "Hughton out" constituency on here.

Last edited:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Deluded to think he was surprised, he obviously NEVER comes on NSC then and sees the POLES

Never understand your replies ..Is this what you`re talking about ?? Pole looks very attractive !!

pole dancer.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Classy fella but " surprised ", really Chris ?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In terms of performance I don't think it is. We were breaking records for goalless runs, runs of losing at home etc.

Some of the worst football I've seen us play in a long, long time. That first half against Newcastle was diabolical.

Do other clubs not go on bad runs and have games where they perform diabolically sometimes? I'm afraid it's always going to happen with the Albion whilst we compete in this division, totally irrespective of who the manager might be.

My big worry is, that in playing with this new 'expansive style' under Potter, the defeats might get even heavier and more frequent still. It was keeping our game tight, that kept us in the Premier League.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm getting a bit angry about this message that is doing the rounds unchallenged...

“He has helped transform Brighton & Hove Albion, from fighting relegation to League One."

Yes, we were headed down the table, thanks to the disastrous tenure of Hyypia. However, the squad that Chris inherited was not broken. We had competed for play off finals in previous seasons under Gus and Oscar. The players, backroom and club management were all strong.

There is this underlying idea going around that Chris single-handily rescued the club from oblivion and took them into the Premier League. That simply isn't true, and yet it's easy twitter feed.

Chris played a hugely important role in a club full of talented and committed individuals who have brought Brighton its success to date. I'll be ever thankful for him, but he did not do it alone and he did not walk into a club that was in free fall.

Really?

He has helped (not masterminded or solely responsible for) transform Brighton & Hove Albion, You don't think he helped transform the first team? from fighting relegation to League One (exactly the position we were in when he joined)

You think this narrative is unjust? overly flattering?

If he has to carry the can for perceived failures, then at least give him the credit for his successes.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Oh come on. He makes a bland statement that could have been written aby any football club manager anywhere (and probably was) and you're all syaing what a great guy and great manager he was. Really? Having watched most of the drab defensive performances in the last few months, culminating in that ridiculous display against Cardiff, it seemed to me that changes needed to be made. And teher was only one place to do that.

Yeah, thanks Mr Houghton and good luck in the future whilst you count your severance pay. But lets all move on for next season

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This praise for getting to the FA Cup semi is a bit silly really.

We beat Bournemouth reserves, got taken to a second leg and extra time against West Brom with Glenn Murray's cock saving the day, scraped past a second-string Derby team at home and were saved by a goalkeeping howler in a shambolic performance against Millwall.

Yes.

We should insist next season that the FA dispense with numbered balls, and we should only play opposition worthy of us progressing. The notion of romance should be ditched, because beating any side from a league below you is clearly not worthy of merit.

The cup is dead, long live the cup!

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Absolutely true to type and in line with his press conferences, post match interviews etc. Being 'surprised' is about as controversial as he'd get. If he genuinely wasn't expecting it, might partly explain why it ended up being a sacking rather than mutual consent perhaps. We'll never know - Chris won't dish the dirt (if there is any). Way too dignified.

I really think the sacking vs mutual consent thing is just down to CHs insistence on honesty. Even if they had said mutual consent everyone would know he was sacked, so just tel the truth

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here