Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton statement

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Given that, from your location, you appear to live in the North East, you're perfectly placed to look at the results coming in on your telly or smart phone and come out with something along the lines of "that'll do". When fans who follow us everywhere are despairing of us ever getting another win away, when we're losing 5-0 at home to Bournemouth (who had lost their last nine aways) and when Cardiff do the double over you and you have to sit through that, and it's really dull to boot, then (Albion wise) not much could be worse.

Next season we're either going to go down fighting or we're going to surprise a lot of people, or it'll be a car crash and Potter will be out by Christmas. I can't believe we've got a sub-set of fans who'd want the latter to happen just so they could be proved right.

That sub-set wishing ill on our 2019/20 season to punish TB, will rapidly shrink should Graham Potter get results.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hughton is a nice man, honourable and honest; even the most extreme Hughton-outers doesn't deny this.

So if he says he was surprised, he was surprised. Can't believe how many people are getting their knickers in a twist trying to 'prove' to the rest of us he wasn't surprised, or shouldn't have been. Prime f***wittery, with knobs on.

He ..... was ..... surprised.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I can imagine that he was surprised, as I believe he thought he was doing a good job given the players at his disposal, most of the newbies did not appear to impress him. Quite a few fans felt the same way it seems. Time will tell if he was right.

Or he knows he had a lot of goodwill from fans and his PR department have told him to say that. Ultimately, no one on these boards is likely to have any idea whether he was surprised as we don't know what the expectations placed on him were, how those changed, and what the expectations surrounding the academy and new players was.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Or he knows he had a lot of goodwill from fans and his PR department have told him to say that. Ultimately, no one on these boards is likely to have any idea whether he was surprised as we don't know what the expectations placed on him were, how those changed, and what the expectations surrounding the academy and new players was.

He says he was. Isn’t that enough. Good grief.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He says he was. Isn’t that enough. Good grief.

Paul Barber said that Chris Hughton was doing a great job and all expected of him, and he was sacked shortly after.

If nothing else, I would have though the Hughton sacking might have you a bit more guarded on your general approach of "He said X, therefore X is true".

(That said, I do agree that it seems Chris Hughton was probably surprised to be sacked as he was)

In other news: this article aged quickly and badly didn't it - https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17...b-done-by-chris-hughton-since-joining-albion/ - particularly this line "Hughton has lost the support of impatient and over-demanding minority pockets of the fanbase."

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Paul Barber said that Chris Hughton was doing a great job and all expected of him, and he was sacked shortly after.

If nothing else, I would have though the Hughton sacking might have you a bit more guarded on your general approach of "He said X, therefore X is true".

(That said, I do agree that it seems Chris Hughton was probably surprised to be sacked as he was)

In other news: this article aged quickly and badly didn't it - https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17...b-done-by-chris-hughton-since-joining-albion/ - particularly this line "Hughton has lost the support of impatient and over-demanding minority pockets of the fanbase."
Perhaps we could now start an argument about whether PB was surprised or not ......... or shouldn't have been ...... or whatever ...............

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who actually gives a ****? Talk about wanting to know the ins and outs of a crab’s arse :rolleyes:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Perhaps we could now start an argument about whether PB was surprised or not ......... or shouldn't have been ...... or whatever ...............

Funnily enough, this came up in conversation a day or two back, and my guess is that he may well have been surprised also.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Yep of course - i've quoted that Barber piece on here a few times, a classic example of the board backing its manager 2 days before sacking him - but its depressing, and with Hughton pretty unfair, to always start with the view: They are probably lying and i'm going to explain why. (of course not everyone does this)

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
But he did keep us up. Got enough points over the season to enable us to finish 17th. You can’t pick a single result between two other teams as the deciding factor.........

So if Palace had lost to Cardiff, would you then say he had "sent us down". How can he have both "kept us up", and "sent us down" with the exact same set of results. It was out of his hands. He did neither of those things.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
And Man City wouldn't have won the PL if Brighton beat them on the last day of the season - league positions are determined by results - the results Brighton got and the results of the other 19 teams as well. Chris Hughton was the manager of Brighton and Brighton are playing in the PL next season - claiming Hughton didn't keep Brighton is the same as claiming Guardiola didn't win the title.

Pep had control over their last game of the season, the game which decided their fate, it was in their hands. You couldn't change one other result somewhere else and change their fate.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You think he wrote a statement himself?

FYI, I've done some work with the LMA who the statement was released through. The managers themselves don't write these things 99% of the time.

I laughed not because I didn't think anyone else helped him write it, just the thought he has his own PR Department.

The thought still makes me chuckle. Sorry.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Pep had control over their last game of the season, the game which decided their fate, it was in their hands. You couldn't change one other result somewhere else and change their fate.

The PL season is fought out over 38 games - not the last one.

If Cardiff had won the game they lost who is to say that Brighton wouldn't have beaten Arsenal?

You cannot predict any results based on what ifs.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I laughed not because I didn't think anyone else helped him write it, just the thought he has his own PR Department.

The thought still makes me chuckle. Sorry.

Haha, in fairness, it's as good as. I appreciate that I shouldn't have used a term on NSC so loosely without expecting to be picked up on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here