Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton statement

el punal

Absolutely true to type and in line with his press conferences, post match interviews etc. Being 'surprised' is about as controversial as he'd get. If he genuinely wasn't expecting it, might partly explain why it ended up being a sacking rather than mutual consent perhaps. We'll never know - Chris won't dish the dirt (if there is any). Way too dignified.

My feeling is that if it were just Chris Hughton leaving then I’m sure Tony Bloom would have given him the option of resigning with dignity. The thing is it was a complete clear out of the first team coaching staff (Trollope and Nevin as well) so dismissing all in one fell swoop may have been the only option.

Well done Chris and thanks for all you’ve done for my club. An absolute gentleman, dignified and respectable. All the very best wishes for the future. :bowdown:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This praise for getting to the FA Cup semi is a bit silly really.

We beat Bournemouth reserves, got taken to a second leg and extra time against West Brom with Glenn Murray's cock saving the day, scraped past a second-string Derby team at home and were saved by a goalkeeping howler in a shambolic performance against Millwall.

Jesus wept, you can only beat whats in front of you...

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My feeling is that if it were just Chris Hughton leaving then I’m sure Tony Bloom would have given him the option of resigning with dignity. The thing is it was a complete clear out of the first team coaching staff (Trollope and Nevin as well) so dismissing all in one fell swoop may have been the only option.

Well done Chris and thanks for all you’ve done for my club. An absolute gentleman, dignified and respectable. All the very best wishes for the future. :bowdown:

Good point......and agree with the sentiments

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

We beat Bournemouth reserves, got taken to a second leg and extra time against West Brom with Glenn Murray's cock saving the day, scraped past a second-string Derby team at home and were saved by a goalkeeping howler in a shambolic performance against Millwall.

Yeah, so easy, why did we wait 36 in between each semi final appearance?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

Ah the romance of the Cup! But yeah, valid point. Not like the path to the final in '83.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting he didn’t mention the senior leadership team in that directly rather a generic “everyone connected to the club”

I have seen emails very similar at our company recently. Although they have stopped the “ send to all” option as our CEO said they were bad for morale!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Doesn't thank Tony - anyone slightly surprised by that?

"Thanks to the chairman for the opportunity etc etc" or still smarting a bit too much?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Yeah, so easy, why did we wait 36 in between each semi final appearance?

Not sure where you're getting 'easy' from. It wasn't easy, we made it hard for ourselves against second-string Championship sides and totally lucked out against relegation-battling Millwall. Our performances in the cup were as bad as performances in the league, bar Bournemouth.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Top man. Wish him well. Hope we see him at the Amex sometime again

I hope he’s not manager of one of the new PL entrants next season. I fear he would enjoy giving Barber, Bloom and Ashworth a pants down spanking.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Released by the LMA this morning....................

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/lma-latest/chris-hughton-statement/

In a statement released by the League Managers Association, Chris Hughton said: “I was hugely disappointed and surprised, by the decision that was made to end my time with Brighton and Hove Albion FC.

“I thoroughly enjoyed my four and a half years managing this special football club. I would like to put on record my gratitude to my coaching staff, the players, fans, everyone connected to the club and the wider community of Brighton & Hove and wish them luck for the future.

LMA Chief Executive Richard Bevan added: “Chris’ impressive tenure has been inspirational for his peers in the game.

“He has helped transform Brighton & Hove Albion, from fighting relegation to League One, to competing with the best teams in the world and retaining Premier League status for yet another season.

“This season, he again proved his managerial ability in also leading his team to the Semi-Final of the FA Cup for only the second time in the club’s history.

“He continues to be a tremendous role model for young managers and coaches in the game.”

Absolutely dignified. I suspect the point was because he hadn’t publicly thanked everyone and to get the quote about surprised & disappointed out there.

Let’s face it, it was a surprise to nearly all of us in terms of timing. In terms of recent results? Not so much.

I’ve written in detail on here why I think he went and not everyone’s agreed. I think we can all agree that up to the last few months his achievements with the club were incredible and he should always have our heartfelt thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
“Surprised” is the interesting word. I can’t interpret it in any more than only three ways:

1 “I paid no attention to the targets that had been set for me by the Board; I hadn’t realised they were important”

The target was to preserve Premier League status with a bottom three. This was achieved.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here