Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 362
  1. #91
    I've asked for soup Mellotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    24,646


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course he has, and I don't think anybody is suggesting otherwise??

    I've every respect for Chris Hughton. Decent bloke and a decent football manager.

    All I meant was that the STATEMENT itself was pointless, in that it basically says nothing
    The fact he didn't thank TB is at least interesting...
    ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #92
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Chandlers Ford
      Posts
      53,697


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      We survived mostly thanks to Cardiff being shitter than us. .
      That is basically how league tables work.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.
    • #93
      #14/15 - 18/19 Goldstone1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2013
      Location
      East Anglia
      Posts
      10,625


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Arthritic Toe View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      My guess is that he was 'surprised' because he was given a target to survive and he achieved it. However Tony Bloom, whilst recognising that, also recognised that we'd only survived due to good fortune (i.e..Cardiff losing to Fulham) and interpreted that as the target as having been missed.
      Hmm. A target like "Retain our PL status" is unambiguous - like any decent target should be, it's totally not open to interpretation.

      I think it's far more likely (as others have said) that TB decided that Chris was a) unlikely to repeat the feat next season and that anyway b) he wanted a different type of football played next year - which is why he recruited Dan Ashworth in Sept 2018 (although he didn't start until Feb this year).

      IF this is correct, and IF Tony didn't tell Chris either of these things, then it's reasonable for Chris to be "surprised".
      2A
    • #94
      I've asked for soup Mellotron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      24,646


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      That is basically how league tables work.
      Obviously - you've bizarrely chosen to edit my statement and deliberately ignore the context.

      I'm disputing the narrative of Chris "rescuing" us, that makes it sound like we suddenly turned on the style and won multiple games to save our season. We were bloody lucky to stay up.

      Chris didn't rescue us. Cardiff rescued us.
      Last edited by Mellotron; 22-05-2019 at 12:17.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."
    • #95
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Chandlers Ford
      Posts
      53,697


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The fact he didn't thank TB is at least interesting...
      If the only interesting thing 'in' a statement, is something that actually ISN'T in it, then you've pretty much reinforced my point.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.
    • #96
      Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Goldstone
      Posts
      40,888


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by WhingForPresident View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You're right, the ref was awful, but the performance was largely abysmal against a poor side.
      Millwall had beaten Everton at home, and had the ref got things right, they'd have lost against us in normal time. That's a good enough performance. It's unrealistic to think we should just go away to a motivated Championship side and smash them.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.
    • #97
      Dullard Thunder Bolt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Beside the seaside, beside the sea
      Posts
      45,603


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Yes, really.

      It's inflated in such a way that the word 'helped' gets lost. What people see is 'Chris transformed Brighton'.

      We were headed towards relegation, but once Hyypia was replaced I was confident that we would not be relegated. We needed a tactical change at that point, not master surgery.

      I think the narrative is inaccurate. Chris should be thanked for his role as part of a wider team and it should be recognised that he has been one part of a highly effective management team. However, management teams change and new skills are required as the world changes. Chris's skills were what we needed, and we thank him. Now we need another aspect to change. I'm sure other roles behind the scenes have also changed as the club has moved into a new world and they have not been able to step up. That's the reality sometimes.
      That is hindsight with 20/20 vision. I doubt very much many people thought we would avoid relegation in Dec 2014.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.
    • #98
      Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Goldstone
      Posts
      40,888


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Totally agreed. "We were lucky against Millwall" is such a load of bollocks. If the refereeing was even half decent, the game would've ended about 4-1 to us at full time.
      Well I don't know about the scoreline, but I agree we'd have won well enough in normal time.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.
    • #99
      I've asked for soup Mellotron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      24,646


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      If the only interesting thing 'in' a statement, is something that actually ISN'T in it, then you've pretty much reinforced my point.
      Still pretty interesting.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."
    • #100

      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Yeah, so easy, why did we wait 36 in between each semi final appearance?
      I get your point, but after being in the bottom two tiers, it's a huge advantage entering at the 4th round stage and having spent a fair few million on players. Totally different to the task faced by previous managers. We were very lucky with the draw too.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •