Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 362
  1. #81
    I've asked for soup Mellotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    24,803


    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowfold Seagull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even though he had delivered on the one task given to him? Achieving Premier League survival? No mean feat for a club like ours.
    Blimey, you were obviously in a lot more board meetings than any of us, to know that was the ONLY target set this season. Please, tell us more.
    ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #82
      Members WhingForPresident's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      Berkshire
      Posts
      11,539


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I was using easy in the sarcastic form. I thought that was obvious.
      Cool rebuttal
      This is not Nick Rhodes.
    • #83
      Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Goldstone
      Posts
      41,239


      3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      “Surprised” is the interesting word. I can’t interpret it in any more than only three ways:
      Or how about 'I knew we hadn't achieved the football the board wanted, but we had survived, and I thought I had the confidence of the board to take us forward next season'.

      I don't think our drop in form was solely down to Chris. Some players under-performed, a lot of refereeing decisions went against us, and some opposition strikers hit form against us. Chris may have felt that way, and felt that despite not doing as well as the board would have liked, he'd still be the right man to help us progress.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.
    • #84
      I've asked for soup Mellotron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      24,803


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by chaileyjem View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      He says he was "surprised" not shocked.
      Fine, if you want to do semantics - it was naive of him to be surprised, given how poorly we were performing.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."
    • #85
      Captain Hindsight TSB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Lansdowne Place, Hove
      Posts
      17,429


      3 Not allowed!
      Classy guy.
      Will be hugely missed by all decent supporters.
      The voice of hindsight.
      Bring back Chris Hughton.
    • #86
      Members Bold Seagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      20,536


      5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'm getting a bit angry about this message that is doing the rounds unchallenged...

      “He has helped transform Brighton & Hove Albion, from fighting relegation to League One."

      Yes, we were headed down the table, thanks to the disastrous tenure of Hyypia. However, the squad that Chris inherited was not broken. We had competed for play off finals in previous seasons under Gus and Oscar. The players, backroom and club management were all strong.

      There is this underlying idea going around that Chris single-handily rescued the club from oblivion and took them into the Premier League. That simply isn't true, and yet it's easy twitter feed.

      Chris played a hugely important role in a club full of talented and committed individuals who have brought Brighton its success to date. I'll be ever thankful for him, but he did not do it alone and he did not walk into a club that was in free fall.
      There is truth to it.

      By the end of 13/14, from the previously successful play off challenges we lost:
      Ulloa
      Buckley
      Barnes
      Bridcutt
      Lopez
      Orlandi
      Upson
      Lingard
      Ward
      amoung others.

      This culminated in a disastrous period of using loans that basically reaped it's rewards in the 2014/15 season where we had 10 or so loans that frankly took the piss.

      The recruitment was changed, Burke went, it was restructured. How much Hughton played a part in this, who knows, but we started with solid signings 15/16, and 3 loans that included Sidwell, Wilson and Ridgewell. I don't think you can say what he inherited wasn't broken - it really was, the loan strategy nearly destroyed any remaining team spirit or belief at the club.

      We were going down without Hughton steadying the ship. There really is no rewriting that. Then to take that team, of shattered belief and confidence, and lift them to within GD of promotion, I don't think you can reduce that transformation. Then to miss out with the worse luck you can imagine, both at Boro and in the PlayOffs, we went again and were even stronger.

      The team spirit Hughton achieved perhaps up to this year was incredible. Got to say, think you're wrong on this one.
    • #87
      I've asked for soup Mellotron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      24,803


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I think he thought he had fought back, and rescued us from relegation. He achieved Prem League status for next season. Other managers have been relegated and stayed to get the team promoted again.
      We survived mostly thanks to Cardiff being shitter than us. It was hardly The Great Escape a la Russell Slade.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."
    • #88
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Chandlers Ford
      Posts
      53,917


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowfold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Pointless? why? He has probably done more for our football club than any manager in living memory. He fully deserves an epiaph to his time with us. .
      Of course he has, and I don't think anybody is suggesting otherwise??

      I've every respect for Chris Hughton. Decent bloke and a decent football manager.

      All I meant was that the STATEMENT itself was pointless, in that it basically says nothing
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.
    • #89
      Members father_and_son's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Under the Police Box
      Posts
      3,505


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowfold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Even though he had delivered on the one task given to him? Achieving Premier League survival? No mean feat for a club like ours.
      How do you know that was the only objective?
      That may have been the obvious one but I strongly suspect he had others that weren't met.
    • #90
      Members Hamilton's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      8,265


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Uh_huh_him View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Really?

      He has helped (not masterminded or solely responsible for) transform Brighton & Hove Albion, You don't think he helped transform the first team? from fighting relegation to League One (exactly the position we were in when he joined)

      You think this narrative is unjust? overly flattering?

      If he has to carry the can for perceived failures, then at least give him the credit for his successes.
      Yes, really.

      It's inflated in such a way that the word 'helped' gets lost. What people see is 'Chris transformed Brighton'.

      We were headed towards relegation, but once Hyypia was replaced I was confident that we would not be relegated. We needed a tactical change at that point, not master surgery.

      I think the narrative is inaccurate. Chris should be thanked for his role as part of a wider team and it should be recognised that he has been one part of a highly effective management team. However, management teams change and new skills are required as the world changes. Chris's skills were what we needed, and we thank him. Now we need another aspect to change. I'm sure other roles behind the scenes have also changed as the club has moved into a new world and they have not been able to step up. That's the reality sometimes.
      Either that wallpaper goes or I do

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •