Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A thread full of ONLY good things about CH

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can we do this? We should be able to do imo. If it’s negative try to refrain from posting :smile:

Whatever your feelings at the tail end of last season CH put this club firmly on the map in the time he was here.

The 5-0 against Norwich.

The best day of my Albion supporting life when we got promoted after the Wigan game

A manager who always came across as a gentleman and as far as I’m aware never once went off on a public rant about refs, players or other managers

Over to you.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
As a person, from a spectators position he had no faults. A great man, good manager.

Best moment for me during his tenure was 2-1 at QPR. I have an unfair hatred of QPR and Seb Poc’s freekick is probably one of my favourite sporting moments. Still can’t belive he didn’t get a deal with us during the summer. I also remember him (Poc) destroying Wednesday with some crosses at the Amex when they imploded. That was also a great CH moment.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He bought a professionalism and calmness to the entire football business of the club. He typically got the best out of players and we had far more highs than we did lows. Beating ManUtd after drawing with Arsenal in that first season in the PL was a highlight for me, then putting 3 past them in the first half this season was brilliant. Who can forget the Palace at home fixture either this season, fantastic memories.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
A class act with time for everybody, and who yet again disproved the view that nice guys can't be winners. Really proud that such a top bloke has overseen one of the most successful periods in our club's history - and would love to see him go on to more success in his next job. Will always be an Albion legend ����

Brovion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
I'm 62 next month, I've been watching Brighton since early 1966, and I can state that Chris Hughton is the best manager Brighton and Hove Albion ever had.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Took us from being a rabble that was struggling to stay in The Championship, to playing some fantastic football on our way to Promotion, only a goalkeeping slip away from being CHAMPIONS.

Then with a squad everyone was tipping to go straight back down, a lack of that "new striker" we were all craving, he delivered survival in both years in the top flight without ever dipping into the relegation zone (bar the early tables that when I was a kid, never even used to get published).

That 1st season we finished 15th, and never even looked over our shoulders at the scramble beneath us. Home wins vs Man Utd and Arsenal, then a draw with Tottenham, and we had arrived.
Then despite very damaging injuries to key attacking threats, Gross and Izquierdo we again racked up results that had us sailing away in untroubled mid-table waters. Such a good 1st half of the season that we were able to ride out the choppy waters, and again steady the ship sufficiently for survival without ever dipping our toes in the icy waters of the bottom three.

All of this achieved with a calm grace, and professionalism that put our club in a fantastic light. While others sneer and snare, blame refs, boot water bottles and even head butt the odd player (Alan Pardew, I'm talking about you!) before taking a fine and blaming the "passion" of the game, Chris realises that as the manager, you are the face of the club. You are supposed to be setting an example for the players to follow. In Chris we had a perfect example being set, he was always dignified, and yet you could still see the anger was there, the passion was there.

A great man, a great manager, and his achievements have him right up there, top of the pile for me, as the best manager we have EVER had.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Do you really need to open it/comment on it?

I don't 'need' to open/comment on it; however, I was curious as to why people would want to post on yet another thread to discuss CH when, surely, there have been plenty of other threads where opinions have already been posted.Nothing startlingly new has been said, as far as I can see.
And no, I don't think we need , 'A thread full of ONLY bad things about CH.'
What is the next thread going to be headed?
Beatification, Canonisation, who knows?
Don't get the hump, I'm only joking!::bowdown::wink:

Last edited:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Took us from being a rabble that was struggling to stay in The Championship, to playing some fantastic football on our way to Promotion, only a goalkeeping slip away from being CHAMPIONS.

Then with a squad everyone was tipping to go straight back down, a lack of that "new striker" we were all craving, he delivered survival in both years in the top flight without ever dipping into the relegation zone (bar the early tables that when I was a kid, never even used to get published).

That 1st season we finished 15th, and never even looked over our shoulders at the scramble beneath us. Home wins vs Man Utd and Arsenal, then a draw with Tottenham, and we had arrived.
Then despite very damaging injuries to key attacking threats, Gross and Izquierdo we again racked up results that had us sailing away in untroubled mid-table waters. Such a good 1st half of the season that we were able to ride out the choppy waters, and again steady the ship sufficiently for survival without ever dipping our toes in the icy waters of the bottom three.

All of this achieved with a calm grace, and professionalism that put our club in a fantastic light. While others sneer and snare, blame refs, boot water bottles and even head butt the odd player (Alan Pardew, I'm talking about you!) before taking a fine and blaming the "passion" of the game, Chris realises that as the manager, you are the face of the club. You are supposed to be setting an example for the players to follow. In Chris we had a perfect example being set, he was always dignified, and yet you could still see the anger was there, the passion was there.

A great man, a great manager, and his achievements have him right up there, top of the pile for me, as the best manager we have EVER had.

Absolutely spot on.

A class act with time for everybody, and who yet again disproved the view that nice guys can't be winners. Really proud that such a top bloke has overseen one of the most successful periods in our club's history - and would love to see him go on to more success in his next job. Will always be an Albion legend ����
My view entirely. However... "ONE of the most successful"? CH was responsible for THE most successful period in the club's history. Ever. And that is Chris Hughton's rightful, enduring legacy.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
He could grow a great goatee...

775134676_SB_9849_C4A343C0FCBC6E14E699B18CAAED7FB4.JPG

D

Deleted member 2719

I might struggle here.

How about his May like determination to stick by his guns, when the going get's tough:shrug:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Hughton just oozed dignity and class, rare qualities in this cutthroat age. Unlike the Norwich fans I was delighted that he was our manager. Chris gave us some of the most thrilling seasons we have had in recent years, the near miss against Sheffield Wednesday and the campaign that got us there every bit as compelling as our eventual promotion season.

Then of course the promotion itself, just an exceptional time to be an Albion fan. To follow this with an accomplished first year in the premiership, the second whilst very difficult to watch at times was still a successful one in terms of survival.

I am reluctantly of the opinion that Chris's work here was done and that Tony's decision was the correct one, but Graham Potter inherits a far better situation than the one Chris inherited from Sami. Hughton may be gone, but he will never be forgotten.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
The one memory that will stick in my mind forever... so much so that I brought a massive print out and framed it was the play off match against Sheffield Wednesday. Never in my life have I felt that much emotion and passion in a game of football, those first 30 minutes were utterly breathtaking, something took over that stadium and it just carried us on and on. That loss for me was the catalyst to where we are today and for that only one man will deserve the praise; Chris Hughton.

I think one of my biggest Brighton regrets will be never getting the opportunity to just thank Chris for what he's done for this city. He deserved his moment in front of the fans, it wouldn't have been like Wenger saying bye to Arsenal, this is a man that is mostly loved by all of us Albion and will never be seen as a blemish on our history.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Absolutely superb fella. I was always very proud that he was our manager.

Produced the best football I have seen us play.
The promotion season was incredible, especially considering the despair at the end of the previous one.

Hopefully Potter can emulate some of Chris's success.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here