Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Head Coach V Manager

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
Could someone please explain to me why we now have a Head Coach not a new Manager?

What is the difference?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I guess a manager is traditionally in charge of almost all aspects of the club a la Fergie and Wenger. Whereas a coaches job is to simply motivate and improve players. Who picks the team is anyones guess.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
typically Manager controls all major playing activity at the club, different levels of the squad, signing players, so on. Head Coach suggests focus on just the first team, less direct involvment in signings.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I guess a manager is traditionally in charge of almost all aspects of the club a la Fergie and Wenger. Whereas a coaches job is to simply motivate and improve players. Who picks the team is anyones guess.

Coach trains, is part of the recruitment team, definitely picks the bloody team. Will also have a vision about style of play (if any good), be motivational, and will engage with the club's hinterland.

Manager ditto, plus makes occasional statements to the media about the club not giving him the tools to do the job (money for ludicrous transfer fees and salaries). Makes declarative statements about what the goals of the club should be (palpably unrealistic). Makes whiney and pitiful statements about glass celings having been reached, and the club not matching his/her ambitions.

Invicta

Nov 1, 2013
Kent

Pretty sure Potter will pick the team or he wouldn't be here.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
So that when someone starts bitching about not earning enough or their contract extension not being sorted the man who’s already got the job of training and motivating them can say “nothing to do with me guv” and both parties get on with training and their relationship is undamaged.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have we ever had a head coach who lasted more than a season? :wink:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I always see a Head Coach as having a say in transfers, but predominantly, he's given a group of players, and it's his job to get the best out of them.

A manager has a greater involvement in transfers, he often does the "wheeling and dealing" with those dealings getting approved or otherwise on high.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
Can't moan about signings.

Not sure why he's brought his own recruitment colleague with him then !

here's Ashworth on signings.
“The role of the technical director is to support the head coach, through player recruitment, and also make sure the football staff and training ground are functioning properly.
“Then there is our academy, loan players and the development of young players to come through to help player recruitment into the first-team squad.
“It’s an open, honest and transparent relationship, but any player who comes into the first-team squad will have final sign off by Graham and to be fair, that is what the majority of clubs work to.
“Between us we highlight the needs of the squad, go through the recruitment process and find options, then Graham has final sign-off.”
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2019/may/ashworth-potter-is-a-fantastic-emerging-coach/

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Manager - the role recruited when the Head Coach is viewed as having failed.

Head Coach - the role recruited when the Manager is viewed as having failed.

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
So it was TB at the top . . . . With a Manager, in Chris Hughton . . . . then Dan Ashworth came along, jammed himself in the middle, ousted Chris Hughton and we now have a Head coach working under Dan Ashworth in Graham Potter.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Numerous coaches of the kids / youth / women at the club. Head Coach overseas them all so is involved and has input into everything.

Manager prob more focused on the first team.

Fits in with Potter previously doing well on a Budget and improving what we have / developing the youth.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Are you going to have a guess?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here